Mic(s) for classical guitar
New Reply
Subscribe
contrapunctus
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear interested

Mic(s) for classical guitar

Please suggest a mic (or two mics if you suggest I use two) for live amplification, live recording, and home recording of my classical guitar.

Total budget - up to $200. I could stretch it to 300, but I'd rather avoid shelling out that much on a mic alone considering the guitar is no great shakes, I'm recording in an untreated room and in less-than-ideal environs, and the mic/s will go into an old M-Audio Fast Track Pro to record and to random PAs for performance. (sounds pretty bleak I guess, but I bet anything will be better than the clip-on piezo I use right now...bleargh...)

Room quality will obviously vary, from auditoria to cafes to my place. If that is likely to pose a problem, I'd prefer something that is resistant to outside sounds if possible.

I've been reading up threads on this for three very late nights now (so much so that the requests to 'search before you post' actually seem insulting, ). It seems there are many conflicting views on mics...someone recommends something, and the next guy trashes it. Hard for someone who's completely new to recording -sigh-

My list of consideration has, so far, been -

(below 200)
Rode M3
Shure 57 or 58
AKG Perception 170

(200-300)
Audio Technical AT4041
Shure SM137LC
Rode NT3
Rode Microphones NT1A
Audio Technica AE4100
Rode NT5-S

Thank you.

(please note that these are the prices in my country; just in case there's some discrepency between the prices here and the prices elsewhere.)
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

For live situations, I'd use a K&K sound pickup system. kksound.com

For recording, a pair of Oktava 012's.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Guru

I wouldn't want to use any of the mics you listed. There is one that you can probably get (used) that is surprising great for nylon string guitar :

Sennheiser 421 - dynamic. Very nice, large perspective, warm and not spikey like almost every condenser you listed will be.
contrapunctus
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Thank you for your replies, j2dafo and drBill.

Bad news - I checked, K&K and Oktava are not available here, nor is the Sennheiser 421 II. What's more, I'm afraid buying used is not really an option for me.

On the brighter side, two mics whose names came up sometimes in my searches - Studio Projects B1 and B3...looks like they are available here after all. Any opinions on these?

Anything else under 200 that might work about alright?
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear addict

I own and use a pair of AT4041s. For years, they were my go to mic for acoustic guitar. They work well in the studio and in performance venues, partly because of their cardioid pattern. While I still use them for acoustic guitar on occasion now, they have been superseded by a pair of Avenson STO 2s. These would be available to you, used, at the top end of your given dollar range. They are omni-directional. Except for borrowed Schoeps mics, I find that the Avenson STO 2s capture the most natural, realistic acoustic guitar sound, in my experience.

Best.
Byll
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear maniac

You might consider a CAD M179
contrapunctus
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Gear interested

Thank you for your inputs, Byll and Kaiborg.

I apologize if this comes as a disappointment, but based on what all I've read, including stuff on this thread, I've decided to hold off the mic purchase, save more, and get a Sennheiser MD421 II (or two), even if it means having to record my work with a portable digital audio player in the meanwhile. Hopefully it'll be a wise move in the long run.

Thank you, everyone.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapunctus View Post
Thank you for your inputs, Byll and Kaiborg.

I apologize if this comes as a disappointment, but based on what all I've read, including stuff on this thread, I've decided to hold off the mic purchase, save more, and get a Sennheiser MD421 II (or two), even if it means having to record my work with a portable digital audio player in the meanwhile. Hopefully it'll be wise move in the long run.

Thank you, everyone.
You're doing the right thing, dont buy a cheap mic if you could save for a few months and get something decent
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

yes, wise indeed. BUY RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search