Best mic under $150 used or new suited for vocal recording
Old 19th November 2012
Gear addict

Best mic under $150 used or new suited for vocal recording

Ready to get another mic last one i had was messed up and hissing.That was a ST66 got it from GC started after one week it sounded great before the problem.Thing is i can't find another one for cheap like i did,got that sucker for 139.99.So now i'm ready to get another mic just for vocal purposes. Any suggestions would be good i just need something to hold me over unitl tax time.I can't spend alot,gotta buy christmas gifts you know how that goes lol.

All suggestions and comments are welcome and i appreciate the knowledge you guys can provide.

Thanks, Omega
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Akg 535
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Beyer M-69, or any used Studio Projects C series would suit. Lots of choices at that price in the budget Chinese knock-offs though.
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

If I could have only one vocal mic in that price range it would absolutely be a Shure SM57.
Old 21st November 2012
Gear maniac

Ronan:If I could have only one vocal mic in that price range it would absolutely be a Shure SM57.
Amen to that (although a 58 works pretty good, too!)
Old 21st November 2012
Gear interested

Well im selling a at4040 for 150 .. And its a great mic original price is $299

Sent from my SGH-T959
Old 21st November 2012
Gear interested

Audio technica at4040 goggle it

Sent from my SGH-T959
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Head

mxl v67g
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear
+1 on used Oktava MK319. Stock sounds fine.
Old 21st November 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

A 58 with a really great preamp will surprise you. My personal absolute fave mic amp (of all I`ve tried so far at least) for dynamics is Daking so a 58 and Daking MP1 will get you pretty far, especially with the filters for when you`re eating the mic
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Head

I would suggest a Shure SM57 or SM58. The 58 has the pop filter to it's supposed to be more suited for vocals. But, myself and many other people I know actually use 57's for live and recording vox. You can't beat either of them for the price. The 57 is especially versatile (Great for mic'ing up a guitar amp, or snare, or even HH). You can use mics in many various and unique ways.
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Head

Oh, and maybe you could check out the Gauge ECM-87. Products

I've used it on a couple various projects and imho it sounds AMAZING for vocals. I think it's supposed to be a U-87 knockoff, which makes it like .0000000000000000001% the price lol
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Head

AT 3035 used on the bay is under $150.00 good starter mic for vocals
Old 21st November 2012
Gear interested

I would never use a 57 or 58 for lead vocals in a song, I think the best cheap mic I've used is the Audio Technica AT2020 or the Blue Spark. They're definitely fuller than those dynamic ones... Give them a try!
Old 21st November 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Wink

IMHO add Electro-Voice EV 635a, or Shure Beta 57a, to the shortlist...

Chris
Old 21st November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNe5t View Post
I would suggest a Shure SM57 or SM58. You can't beat either of them for the price. ways.
You can though. The AKG D5 is a lot better for vocals! Fuller lows and smoother and more extended highs. As long as guitar cab isn't a priority, the AKG D5>Shure SM57. Good for snare drum as well!
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
If I could have only one vocal mic in that price range it would absolutely be a Shure SM57.
Plus 1.

A personal favorite is the (omni) Sennheiser MD-21 with lots of gain, but used prices vary.
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samplecrazy11 View Post
I would never use a 57 or 58 for lead vocals in a song!
I am curious why.
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear maniac

SM57 or SM58.
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Nothing wrong with the 57/58 at all; it's a matter of learning to work it. (This is coming from a guy who doesn't particularly like them, especially the 58.)

EDIT: although, given your previous microphone, were you looking for the sound the 66 gave you?
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Old 22nd November 2012
Gear addict

Thanks for all the responses everyone,i had to fall on ole trusty zzsounds installment plan,and got a Cad M9 after doing some research seems to be a pretty good mic.This allows me to take care of my family's Xmas,bills,and still get what i needed.

Again thanks everyone enjoy your holiday season.Please feel free to make suggestions,maybe it'll help some else who needs the same advice !!!
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaP View Post
Thanks for all the responses everyone,i had to fall on ole trusty zzsounds installment plan,and got a Cad M9 after doing some research seems to be a pretty good mic.This allows me to take care of my family's Xmas,bills,and still get what i needed.

Again thanks everyone enjoy your holiday season.Please feel free to make suggestions,maybe it'll help some else who needs the same advice !!!
Definitely a great microphone!
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by samplecrazy11 View Post
I would never use a 57 or 58 for lead vocals in a song, I think the best cheap mic I've used is the Audio Technica AT2020 or the Blue Spark. They're definitely fuller than those dynamic ones... Give them a try!
Did you know Bono (from the little band called U2) has used an SM58 on basically every vocal recording he's done.

The 2020 is a piece of crap btw
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you know Bono (from the little band called U2) has used an SM58 on basically every vocal recording he's done.
I've always doubted the veracity of that statement.
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

sm57, sm58, if you want cheap versatile one. But these ones are better with transformerless mod, which is pretty simple to DIY.
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaP View Post
Ready to get another mic last one i had was messed up and hissing.That was a ST66 got it from GC started after one week it sounded great before the problem.Thing is i can't find another one for cheap like i did,got that sucker for 139.99.So now i'm ready to get another mic just for vocal purposes. Any suggestions would be good i just need something to hold me over unitl tax time.I can't spend alot,gotta buy christmas gifts you know how that goes lol.

All suggestions and comments are welcome and i appreciate the knowledge you guys can provide.

Thanks, Omega
The ST66 hissing is caused by a bad Silver mica capacitor and can be repaired easily.

Old 23rd November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
The ST66 hissing is caused by a bad Silver mica capacitor and can be repaired easily.

Thanks Mr.Jacobsen but i already sent the sucker back to Guitar Center.This is the second mic i've gotten used from them that was defective.Good prices on used stuff but gotta be weary.
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Okay. They've stuffed it into what looks like a long-bodied Neumann or similar on the youtube video of "Pride (In the Name Of Love)" and again on what is called the master vocal track for "Unforgettable Fire".
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search