Login / Register

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 for Studio Recording???
New Reply
Subscribe
nyxotik
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 for Studio Recording???

ok i know this board has its lovers and its haters, so try to put all bias aside when answering my question

so obviously im in the market for a new board.. but i dont need necessarily a digital or analog board. i just happened to be considering the studiolive because i need a board that serve a dual purpose of both live use and studio use and can do both effectively and efficiently. regardless of how many other awesome digital boards are out there, i'd be sold on this board if i only needed it for live use due to its ease of use and the convenience of not having to lug a rack full of gates, comps, and effects along with me.

BUT im not sure if its so great as a studio console?

im looking for someone who has experience with this board (GOOD OR BAD)
and can tell me:

-are the preamps useable?
-are the converters quality enough for recording?

i plan to only use the onboard preamps for unimportant tracks like toms and maybe backup vox. but i plan to buy my own boutique preamps down the road and use the line-in inputs on the board to bypass the preamps but still utilize the converters.

im open to other setup suggestions but my current budget is only about $3500 and i cant imagine finding a good 16-24 channel board AND enough quality converters for under that price.

the only thing that worries me about this board is that its so small. i know its not as important as the mixes i produce but the "visual appeal" of a big console can instantly make most performers willing to pay a higher price simply because of that "WOW IM IN A REAL STUDIO" factor. but thats not a main concern.

ALSO, how would one apply an analog summing mixer to this equation if i wanted to eventually get some more OTB flavor?? i dont know much about them or how they work/where they go in the signal chain?
nyxotik
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

ALSO

BTW... i wouldnt be using any of the onboard processing effects when using this board for the studio, only when using for live mixing. i have the entire waves, softube, ik multimedia, metric halo, and URS plugin bundles so all my processing would be done with better processing than would be provided by the board!!! i'd really only be using the board for its converters and its bus routing (for separate headphone mixes)
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have one in my live rig.. I did a few location recordings and it sounds good.. converters and pres are good but a little harsh when compared to my apis .. its a great little board for some of my live shows .. no snake anymore ..ipad all the way..
nyxotik
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
I have one in my live rig.. I did a few location recordings and it sounds good.. converters and pres are good but a little harsh when compared to my apis .. its a great little board for some of my live shows .. no snake anymore ..ipad all the way..
which do you think was causing the harshness... the pre's or the converters?? cuz as long as the converters are solid, (dont have to be equal to apogee or lynx, just as long as they're not garbage) im not worried about the pres that much considering im buying outboard pres in the future. but if the converters are no good i may just have to use the converters for live recordings only and buy a separate high-quality 8-channel firewire converter like a lynx aurora. i'd love to use something PCI based and its easier to shop for those, but im using an imac which doesnt have any pci slots
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxotik View Post
which do you think was causing the harshness... the pre's or the converters?? cuz as long as the converters are solid, (dont have to be equal to apogee or lynx, just as long as they're not garbage) im not worried about the pres that much considering im buying outboard pres in the future. but if the converters are no good i may just have to use the converters for live recordings only and buy a separate high-quality 8-channel firewire converter like a lynx aurora. i'd love to use something PCI based and its easier to shop for those, but im using an imac which doesnt have any pci slots
it was defiantly the pres .. after i switched to api it was good.. and that was just when we did main vocal overdubs ..the pres were fine for everything else ..but there are better options if you just want converters.. i have an apollo for the studio ..its fantastic
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear maniac

Audient/ focusrite 2802? more of a studio desk but a great desk, if using live you could daw it / run the effects through the daw. 8 channels, bu could be an option if you have external pres
nyxotik
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

anybody else got any other set-up suggestions or haver feedback on this board?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear interested

Ive used one a lot, mainly for vo work... The pres are clean and usable and the converters are pretty decent. All in all its good for the money

Sent from my HTC One X
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Love the board, recorded this video with it: Time To Fly.

It's a great live board, good price, easy to use, great iPad app.

It's a good cheap way to get 16 inputs for recording, super easy to use Capture to record a show you are mixing, great to use as an interface/live board hybrid. For 1-2 channels I use my API A2D instead.

I ended up buying the new Mackie DL1608 for my own live sound rig (it's amazing) but I use the Presonus often at work and have access to it if I need to do a live off the floor recording.

I would recommend the Presonus for someone who needs more than 8 channels to record and needs a good live mixer. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who doesn't need a live mixer.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Gear maniac

I've used Mackie for the past 6 years. Started with a Mackie 1640 then 2 years ago bought the newer 1640i. Been happy with the results. Very clean preamps and the AD/DA converters are the same used in high end gear.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search