$20 DIY SM7 Killer
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Will try to do that. I can't drive right now due to a banged up shoulder from a motorcycle crash, but hope to get more mobile next week. Will do drums and ac guitars if I can.....
Ouch man. Looking forward to it.

As for the DIY SM7b, I'm a Heil PR-35 guy myself. And the family sound of the Heil microphones is roughly the opposite of the SM7b.

I've always found it a bit of a utility microphone; I'm willing to play around to get a sound I like more, but if I can't get a sound I like, the SM7b goes up. I sold it a while back when I realized that I rarely "can't get a sound I like."

People say that the SM7b works well in a dense mix, but from the standpoint of the vocalist, I prefer the SM7b's meatiness in a lighter mix, for contrast and size. The Heil's cut kicks butt on thick mixes for me; in an a cappella mix in particular, I've loved the Heil.

Granted, the SM7b takes EQ well enough to achieve that "cut," but I guess I'm just a weirdo.

Still, looking forward to some clips! Get well soon!
Hobbs_Won
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Hobbs_Won

I just busted a CAD KBM412 doing this mod.... I don't see how anybody did this....it appears virtually impossible. I don't know if the TLM is any easier...

Unscrewing the basket is cake....but removing the housing of the resonator cavity is ridiculously difficult. It's virtually impossible to do without snapping the wires to the output section...which are like spiders silk.

the reason is because the wires are spooled around the top of the housing and run the length of the housing along the side... and there is no give...so there is tension on the wires the whole time...

Theres a pic so you can get an idea.....the groove is where the wires (which have been totally deflowered already, obviously) are guided...

I don't know if I want to spend another $40 on a mod attempt...I might...but I just don't see how to get that disc out.
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Completely OT: Sooner or later, a motorcycle is going to bite its rider. I know a drummer who lost his leg below the knee on one this Sumner. All it takes is few loose gravel on the highway or some nut in a car.

Everytime I see this thread about a "$20 DIY SM7 killer," why do I think about framing hammers at Lowes?
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Completely OT: Sooner or later, a motorcycle is going to bite its rider.
Ride to live. Live to ride.

16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

I know, but it wouldn't be the same without you.
Hobbs_Won
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
Completely OT: Sooner or later, a motorcycle is going to bite its rider. I know a drummer who lost his leg below the knee on one this Sumner. All it takes is few loose gravel on the highway or some nut in a car.

Everytime I see this thread about a "$20 DIY SM7 killer," why do I think about framing hammers at Lowes?
I don't know..it was a funny quip, however.

I will say this...with the basket off and a pop filter in front of the KBM412... even without the resonator disc removed...it gives the SM7 a serious run...

I just wish I was able to hear it without the resonator....
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtlemafia View Post
Luckily I had some of these things lying around not being used, so I tried it out, modded one, and it still works. I can't sing worth a shit, but I can try it out in a session I'm recording later this week.

Was pretty easy to do, just remove the resonator cap, trim the resonator basket, and reshape the headbasket to be less parallel and boxy. I also have one of the CAD kick mics he described a similar mod for, and might try that as well. Even if these mods don't work, it's not like I was using these mics anyways.
PM the turtlemafia and ask how he did it?
Hobbs_Won
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtlemafia View Post
Joly suggests using a jewelers screwdriver, but I didn't have anything that small. A tiny knife didn't work well either. So I grabbed some pliers and was careful not to grip the wire connections, and just yanked. It got it off, and the mic still works. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have 3 spare of the mics like I did (I had the CAD full drum mic kit. Which all suck, except the overheads are surprisingly good).

Also, @pinkheadedbug: The intention isn't to use it without the headbasket, but to modify it so it's less boxy and the crimping doesn't suck. But without a dremel, that does seem pretty hard. I just hammered mine into a different shape, but who knows how that will sound.

Also I do have that kick mic, so I may try modding it too. Like I said before, even if it sounds crappy, I haven't touched those in so long, it's not a waste.
Quote:
PM the turtlemafia and ask how he did it?
Apparently, he did this with the tom mic....

Again, don't know if the tom mic has the same design as the kick mic...Joly says the tom mic is easier..not sure why. But I'm not buying the whole kit for the tom mics.

So, that being said.. I wouldn't recommend anybody trying this with the kick mic..just open up the headbasket with the dremel or a drill.
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
Apparently, he did this with the tom mic....

Again, don't know if the tom mic has the same design as the kick mic...Joly says the tom mic is easier..not sure why. But I'm not buying the whole kit for the tom mics.
You guys are sure that Joly didn't get contracted by CAD so you all start buying CAD kits until you finally manage to do the trick without screwing up?
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

It may be a test of self restraint not to use a hammer on those mics that refuse modification.
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Gear nut

Anybody try this yet? Would love to hear samples...

Not trying to stir the pot and i have no beef with this MJ dude, but how necessary is the mod? All of it? It just looks a little janky to throw this up in front of a client or their gear you know?

Is the conceit that this mod on these cheap CAD mics will produce an SM7 character only better... Or is it just that these CADs are hidden gems once modded?

Just wondering because I enjoy using the SM7 and having two that are similar but better than it for 100 sounds awesome.
Hobbs_Won
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGordon84 View Post
Anybody try this yet? Would love to hear samples...

Not trying to stir the pot and i have no beef with this MJ dude, but how necessary is the mod? All of it? It just looks a little janky to throw this up in front of a client or their gear you know?

Is the conceit that this mod on these cheap CAD mics will produce an SM7 character only better... Or is it just that these CADs are hidden gems once modded?

Just wondering because I enjoy using the SM7 and having two that are similar but better than it for 100 sounds awesome.
With the headbasket opened up alone...the KBM412 sounded every bit as good as the SM7...I might see if I can get a TLM used so I can do the mod...it definitely can't be done on the KBM.

but even after you butcher the head basket on the KBM/TLM and cover it with the windscreen....you wouldn't want to put that in front of a client, obviously...

But $40 vs $350???
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Ha! As I suspected. Nobody actually OWNS an SM7. It's all a big conspiracy......
Actually, I find that to be a big problem on these boards. There are a few people who I talk to by phone, facebook, or email who will straight up say without hesitation that such and such clone is the best you can buy. The problem is they haven't even used the clone, much less own one. The don't own the real deal either. It's not like they say "in my research" or "I have read that", it's a statement of truth. These are people I feel I know quite well. So once you are on a board, that just means you need to be more skeptical.

I have a GAP Pre 73. Now, they don't really say it's a clone, I think they say it's influenced by a Neve 1073. Well, looking it up right now, they seemed to have dropped that but whenever you use certain names, it's implicit. For myself, I will never say it's similar as I haven't used the Neve. I won't even say it's one of the best preamps for the money, I don't have any similarly priced pre's. I will say I feel it's well worth the money but it stops there.

I am still planning to get my NT1a modded but I do think there is a reason I have been wanting to do so for about 2 years now. I don't necessarily want a U87 clone, I just want a better mic than the NT1a I have. I guess part of me is waiting to see if something off the shelf comes out that is in the same realm. It doesn't have to be the same price, I can pay more, I am just not willing to spend what it takes to get a U87/U87ai for a few reasons, mostly because I don't record myself, only others and don't charge for studio time in my home studio. I will say that I love Micheal Joly's newsletter but every time I see him write where others can respond, his attitude does turn me off, like many others have said. Then skepticism kicks in and I decide to hold off again.

I know that is a bit convoluted but I do think it speaks to this thread.
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
You guys are sure that Joly didn't get contracted by CAD so you all start buying CAD kits until you finally manage to do the trick without screwing up?

Hmmm...

-tINY

18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear
Or maybe some members here, if not gs itself, are contracted by shure. Im neither on the side of shure or MJ but i notice too much shure fanatism and MJ hate on gs

(I own sm7, sm58, but no MJ moded mics. Shure are great mics, but whats going around these forums regarding shure obsession is a bit unusual)
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear nut

Really? You think Shure is a big enough company to afford the time to create dozens of different users talking about the SM7 at any appropriate moment across dozens o forums for years? I mean, come on, something had to be the "Thriller" mic and enough people can afford it to let enough other people come in contact with it... Do we really need a conspiracy theory
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Or maybe some members here, if not gs itself, are contracted by shure. Im neither on the side of shure or MJ but i notice too much shure fanatism and MJ hate on gs

(I own sm7, sm58, but no MJ moded mics. Shure are great mics, but whats going around these forums regarding shure obsession is a bit unusual)
That sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory. I think it's much simpler than that: Others already described it in this thread. Many people on forums like this just reiterate what they read somewhere else on the web. It's a typical web thing, actual experience seems to be on par with half knowledge you googled up somewhere on wikipedia. Amateurs flaming pros based on "knowledge" they gathered by doing a five minutes web research.

But as the latest trend seems to be, that for every single SM7 recommendation twenty people turn up bashing it as total crap (also propably only one of them actually having ever used one), everything is back in balance again
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

As someone who has actually USED AN SM7B (and I honestly think that while many haven't, most of people who say anything worth anything about the microphone have), it's a bit veiled. Really polite and nice microphone, almost the microphone incarnation of Sennheiser's open-backs.

No need to exaggerate!
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear nut

Very nice and polite mic indeed...

BRING ON THE $20 KILLER

(sound clips)
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear maniac
MF ran the kit on sale yesterday and each mic wound up costing $15 each. Apparently they are back ordered, even though the site clearly states they are "in stock and ready to ship." I took the bait at that price and decided to experiment.

Looking forward to bringing this little Frankenstein's monster to life.

Last edited by saxmeister; 23rd March 2013 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: stupid autocorrect
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
id like to hear one when they are done.
bee
1st August 2013
Old 1st August 2013
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativepayne View Post
id like to hear one when they are done.
Me too! Any sound clips of this mic floating around out there?
1st August 2013
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

where are the plans for this I have mic building skilsl send me the plans and ill do a walk through for you guys.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search