Limited mic cupboard (on a budget)
New Reply
Subscribe
Albatross
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear nut

Limited mic cupboard (on a budget)

I'm upgrading from an 8track project studio to a 16 track - buying an A&H zed R16. Projects are normally all guitar bands or acoustic singer/songwriters. As such I need to buy a few mics and I wondered what everyone's ideas were - what's indispensable? Here's the contents if the mic cupboard just now:

Rode NT1000 x2
AKG d112e x1
Shure beta52 x1
Shure SM57 x3
Shure PG56
SE Electronics SE2200t x1
Studio projects C1 x1
AKG perception 120 x1 (it was a gift!)

I was thinking of adding:

Beyerdynamic m201tg for different guitar sounds

AT 4033a for bass cabs and different vox options

What are your suggestions?
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Beyerdynamic m201TG is a great addition to ANY mic collection

Would pick up the Beyerdynamic m88TG instead of the 4033a personally. The 4033 is a versatile mic, but the M88 is even more so and it sounds great

Enjoy. You already have quite a few good mics for a project studio, so I think your on very comfortable ground
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Guru

You probably should have a decent SDC pair - like a SP-C4 kit or a pair of AT4041.

Get a 3-pack of CAD m179. At $369 for 3, it's still the best bargain in mics. They are good, neutralish LDCs with pattern control, HPF, pad, and a good shock mount. They are one of the few mics I know of that can actually record 20Hz.

If you record guitar amps, you may want to give a Heil PR30 and an Senn e906 a try.

-tINY

15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Head

Maybe for some variety look into some ribbons? The Apex 205 is a great mic at around $100 for an extended range, and fatheads are great for a darker sound. Neither one will set you back too much either.
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear maniac

I agree with tiny. A sennheiser like a e906 or a e609 is great for guitar, especially clean and crunchy. I really like the Shure Beta 52 on dirty amps actually. But more importantly, I would go for a ribbon. that or a stellar pre if you don't already have one.
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

I think all of the suggestions are good. Looking at your list, I agree that what you are missing:

pair of small diaphragm condensers
ribbon mic

As for the ribbon mics, do your homework on the cheaper Chinese ribbon mics. If you are not a DIY person, shop with care as both the APEX 205 mics I purchased had loose ribbons and I think that is a common thing. They can be made to shine though with some extra effort on your part.

I would also suggest considering an Audix i5 which, I for one, consistently prefer over an SM57, but that is simply my preference.

Also consider a darker, more midrange rich LDC to expand the range of your mic locker, like an AT 4047, KEL Audio HM2D or an Oktava MK-319/ MK-219 or something along those lines.

I would place my i5 and even LDC suggestions at the bottom of the list of suggestions that have been given to you thus far in this thread. Beyerdynamic 201 and 88, SDC pair and ribbon mic would really give you a wonderful collection of microphones.
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
I'm upgrading from an 8track project studio to a 16 track - buying an A&H zed R16. Projects are normally all guitar bands or acoustic singer/songwriters. As such I need to buy a few mics and I wondered what everyone's ideas were - what's indispensable? Here's the contents if the mic cupboard just now:

Rode NT1000 x2
AKG d112e x1
Shure beta52 x1
Shure SM57 x3
Shure PG56
SE Electronics SE2200t x1
Studio projects C1 x1
AKG perception 120 x1 (it was a gift!)

I was thinking of adding:

Beyerdynamic m201tg for different guitar sounds

AT 4033a for bass cabs and different vox options

What are your suggestions?
I would look at the AT4050 instead of the 4033. I think its more versatile
Albatross
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear nut

I've never used a ribbon - what are their (broadly speaking) characteristics and common applications?

Thanks for all the suggestions - much appreciated.
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Ribbon microphones are specialized dynamic microphones. Mine get used for vocals, drum OH when I want to emphasize the toms rather than the cymbals, but my favorite use for them is electric guitar and specifically rhythm electric guitar. That goes for the ribbon mics I own.

The frequency response on the ribbon microphones varies, but a lot of them tend to roll off at the higher frequencies and have thick low and mid frequency reproduction. To my ears, ribbon microphones sound... hmm... rounder, warmer, darker, maybe softer than most other microphones. They sound like Bing Crosby singing in his early career rather than the stuff he recorded in the 1960s and later, if you are at all familiar with his work. They are generally less bright sounding and maybe not quite as quick. This description is tough to give to you and this is based upon what I hear from my gear. I hope it helps.

On rock electric guitar ribbon mics rule. I have read where folks like them for horns, which I never record, but I can see how they would work well there.

The ribbons are very sensitive and a pop filter is an absolute must.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear addict

Cascade Vin-Jet for OH, horns, gtr, vox (or similar ribbon). W/ Lundahl even better.

I love Heil PR35 on so much.

EV 635a (aka RE50) for a good omni for gtr n vox.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

your mic cabinet is missing three things: SDC, ribbon mics and a large dynamic mic. If you can afford pairs get them they will be useful as room mics, overheads, solo acoustic, piano, ensembles, ect.

ribbon mics : 2 Avantone cr14 or 2 Casdade fatheads
SDC : Line audio cm3 or peluso cecm6
dynamic mic for vocals: sm7b or heil pr30

or you could go another route and upgrade your tom mics and get 1 pair of the above (ribbons maby?) I like heil pr28 or Senn. e904 for tom mics on a budget. You can get 3 heil pr28 for around $400.
Albatross
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear nut

I have had a wee look at the above suggestions for SDC's - like the look of the line audio CM3's - seem to be real good value. Does anyone have these mics - what sort of applications do they have?

I'm actually not really sure when and what for a SDC or a LDC is used?

Thanks again for all your help with this - don't have much experience outside my (limited) mic cupboard!
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Guru

SDCs are great in pairs for stereo techniques - especially for drum overheads.

And, the small diaphragm doesn't break up (unloading effects actually) in the 5-8kHz range (it pushes it up an octave for 1/2 inch SDC). They are the only way to capture the detail of steel strings and sparkly percussion instruments (triangle, for instance). My favorite for this is the AT u873r - but I don't think it would make for a good pair...

-tINY

18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

In the past I have owned a pair of the following SDC: Earthworks sr77, Akg c451b, Neumann km184, Earthworks tc30. I have now only own a pair Line audio cm3. They are highly detailed and have a very flat response. They easily compete with the more expensive mics above. I was contemplating the Peluso cemc6 and line audio cm3 when I heard a drum overhead clip of the cm3's. I was sold, they sounded almost like the dpa mics in that example.

That being said the Line audio cm3 are hard to get a hold of. No hype audio can back order them for you but it will take 4-5 weeks plus shipping over seas. If you cant wait there are a bunch of Peluso cemc6 on ebay right now. They are a little more. In fact there are two separate ones you could buy and make a pair.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search