$100 Mic used to make a hit song!
New Reply
Subscribe
classique
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

$100 Mic used to make a hit song!

In this interview Juicy J talks about how he made his hit song Bandz a Make Her Dance with a $100 MIC! Its one of the most popular rap songs out now and its very interesting how he just used a USB Mic to make this hit song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pszYCKDhmNE
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by classique View Post
In this interview Juicy J talks about how he made his hit song Bandz a Make Her Dance with a $100 MIC! Its one of the most popular rap songs out now and its very interesting how he just used a USB Mic to make this hit song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pszYCKDhmNE
go figure, it was rap...
classique
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman187 View Post
go figure, it was rap...
The guy made a hit song using a 100 dollar mic and a sock as a filter can we agree that this is a great example of being cost effective?
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

He only recorded vocals I think is the point here.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

How much money was invested in the production and beat making?

If the software was legit, it's more than 100 bucks

Maynard J. Keenan - Artist, Deity, Waffle-Lover
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

The link won't work :/
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Have you actually heard this track? Sure, it is a hit but seriously, it doesn't "sound" great. Your going to get tracks that become hits simply because the track is catchy or what people want to hear, but on a technically level, it doesn't sound that good and for me this is one of them. I think when it comes to Rap music, the microphone has a much lesser part to play.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscottguitar View Post
He only recorded vocals I think is the point here.
Eh? It's Hip Hop!!! What else would you record with a mic? Microphone for vocals, MPC or Maschine for beats, synth or samples for bass. Track done. Mics don't really see anything else except for a mouth on a rap track.

I don't think any of this should be seen as negative against Hip Hop, but Hip Hop wasn't born in a top end studio and never used high end mics and pres from day one. It is more difficult when you have a singer like Amy Winehouse (God rest her Soul) and you have to capture the power, range, octaves and details of her voice, whilst not drowning it in sibilance. You often need something special to handle that job, but Hip Hop vocals are different and don't have this level of requirements. Many dynamic mics will give you a good Hip Hop vocal take and if he was using a Shure SM57/58 that would be in the $100 category, but not seem strange at all, so I don't think this is anything to get excited about or is any kind of discovery. Many Hard Rock screamers and Hip Hop guys, find life goes well with a cheap and cheerful dynamics mic
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

"bandz a make her dance" lol LOL
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

"You know?"
Yes...I know
"Know what I'm sayin'?"
Yes, I know what you're saying
"It's like..You know?"
Yes, I know
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to Gretsch 6120
Don’t think I’ve ever heard the song…really don’t care to…nothing personal…just not my bag…

That said, the notion that a budget mic or any budget gear, for that matter, can and has been used to make hit songs shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone, and really, there’s nothing new under the sun here. Inexpensive LDCs and the like have been on the market and readily available for over 12 years now. I’m sure a lot of Top 40 hit songs have been produced with MXLs, Rodes, Cads, Studio Projects, etc. That’s just not something most studios, artists, or producers are going to advertise.

But go back even much further to the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, and there are a ton of hit records that had vocal tracks cut with Shure 57s and 58s. Elton John, U2, The Clash, etc. Again, this is nothing new, and it shouldn’t be a “wow” moment, IMO.

Look, good music or catchy music is what it is. 99% of the listeners out there could care less what mic was used to cut the song. Would it sound better cut through a Neumann U87?...probably….should that be a deal breaker?....NOPE!!!...As long as it’s got a good hook and it’s got the financial backing and support of the right people it will sell. That’s probably the case here, and more power to the artist….hey, anyone who can figure out how to rise above the fray and make a living doing what they love has my blessing—even if their music isn’t my thing. The fact this dude just used a $100 USB mic to produce a hit song just makes the whole scenario cooler, richer, and more inspiring IMO.

But again, artists have been doing this for decades—simply taking and using the tools they have available to them and not sweating what they don’t have. That’s the lesson everyone should take away from this……As Socrates said, “Happiness is learning to be content with less.”

Cheers,

Chris
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, Yes, basic lyrics, but this could be said about many legendary songs too and for me, it is fine. In fact, listening to one of my favourite songs of all time, "Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix, hardly has any lyrics in it too. If it works, it works. Got no problem with it. If the music is pleasing to the ears, then it has done it's job.

I don't wish this to be a critic about the quality of Hip Hop or any other music, as that isn't want this is about. It is about the gear, and is it a surprise that Hip Hop or some types of Rock can be performed on a $100 Dynamic mic? Absolutely Not. That type of vocal, is fine on that type of mic.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch 6120 View Post
Don’t think I’ve ever heard the song…really don’t care to…nothing personal…just not my bag…

That said, the notion that a budget mic or any budget gear, for that matter, can and has been used to make hit songs shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone, and really, there’s nothing new under the sun here. Inexpensive LDCs and the like have been on the market and readily available for over 12 years now. I’m sure a lot of Top 40 hit songs have been produced with MXLs, Rodes, Cads, Studio Projects, etc. That’s just not something most studios, artists, or producers are going to advertise.

But go back even much further to the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, and there are a ton of hit records that had vocal tracks cut with Shure 57s and 58s. Elton John, U2, The Clash, etc. Again, this is nothing new, and it shouldn’t be a “wow” moment, IMO.

Look, good music or catchy music is what it is. 99% of the listeners out there could care less what mic was used to cut the song. Would it sound better cut through a Neumann U87?...probably….should that be a deal breaker?....NOPE!!!...As long as it’s got a good hook and it’s got the financial backing and support of the right people it will sell. That’s probably the case here, and more power to the artist….hey, anyone who can figure out how to rise above the fray and make a living doing what they love has my blessing—even if their music isn’t my thing. The fact this dude just used a $100 USB mic to produce a hit song just makes the whole scenario cooler, richer, and more inspiring IMO.

But again, artists have been doing this for decades—simply taking and using the tools they have available to them and not sweating what they don’t have. That’s the lesson everyone should take away from this……As Socrates said, “Happiness is learning to be content with less.”

Cheers,

Chris
Well said Chris
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

The sm7 is used all over the place and that is a $300 mic.

It's not the stuff. It's the songs and the performances.

Never heard that around here before, right?
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

well bono often sang into a sm58 which is a 100 bucks....

cheers
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

Terrible vocal sound
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemusic View Post
Terrible vocal sound
Yeh, I don't understand this comment either. This Mic may have not worked for you, but it does not mean it has a terrible vocal sound.

Ok, there is some gear out there that is horrible and hardly anyone on the planet can get a decent sound out of it, but the SM58 is not that piece of equipment.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

I got a usb mic and tablet with multi track recording.

But its only to record hip hop hooks on location.this mic also works with MAC and pc,no drivers needed.

I put it up against my studio condenser mics,its really clean but slightly thinner sounding.

I'm gonna run it threw waves max bass or other Plugins to see if I can add some body to it.

But its not really to thin as is,I'm just wondering if I can match my studio mics with it.or simply buy a better usb mic!

Sent from my PC36100
Attached Thumbnails
0 Mic used to make a hit song!-uploadfromtaptalk1351094403177.jpg  
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

Now my goal is to make a hit with a $10 mic
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemusic View Post
Terrible vocal sound
It's not terrible,I hear that song everyday all day on the radio,it truly is a national hit record!

I never would've guessed it was a cheap mic.

Most of the lower end usb mics are only 16 bit,while higher priced usb mics are 24 bit.

They are crystal clear,so they actually pick up the room better than my studio condensers.

The a/d converters are in the mic.It make me question converters and diaphragms that cost several times more!

Sent from my PC36100
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post

But its only to record hip hop hooks on location.this mic also works with MAC and pc,no drivers needed.

I put it up against my studio condenser mics,its really clean but slightly thinner sounding.

I'm gonna run it threw waves max bass or other Plugins to see if I can add some body to it.

But its not really to thin as is,I'm just wondering if I can match my studio mics with it.or simply buy a better usb mic!

Sent from my PC36100
the blue snowball is a pretty harsh thin mic like you said and its like a dynamic in the fact you have to be very close to it. I actually think its a very good consumer mic for youtubers but i found it to have mouth noise click sounds every now and then so i got rid of it. i prefer dynamics. but i think the usb at2020 would be better than the blue snowball. i had a few of the XLR at20 series mics and they are fairly good and got that depth youre lacking with the snowball. im pretty sure they made the snowball like they did so the general public consumers didnt rage about too much bass etc and saying the mic sounds like crap and returning it. im sure they return these mics in mass anyway, lol.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

Oops no my goal is now to make a hit without even using a mic ... at least I won't hurt people who love nice juicy mics
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

By the way I have a U67 to sell ... for those who know why you don' twanna use a $100 mic even if you could make a hit with it ...
And Hopefully now this rap artist just bought a good mic ...
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

The lead vocals on "Sex On Fire" by The Kings Of Leon were sung through an SM57.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
The Audio Whisperer

Send a message via Skype™ to donsolo
There's a big difference between a $100 Dynamic and $100 LDC USB...

With the USB mic, you have to build in the pre, the adc and then the mic...that's a lot of stuff, corners have to be cut.

The $100 SM58 has higher quality components and a better build quality than any $100 USB mic on the market. I'm sorry, but it's true.

That being said, we should stop acting like popular = good.

Popular = popular, that's all. This can easily turn into an art vs commercial debate but really, if we're amazed that a song can be a hit with zero gear, we have short memories.

The bigger question is what makes a record stand the test of time? Is Aja better written? Are the songs better? Are the performances better? Is the engineering better?

How about Desareli Gears? Kinda muddy sounding IMO, but that record stood the test of time.

How about Dark Side of the Moon? Certainly, all aspects of the record had extreme amounts of focus.

If you want to make music for a short term gain, more power to you, I'll stay my standard "snobby" self and try to make something worth listening to 6 months later.

That being said, music creation IS a democratic process, or at least it should be. This should give anyone with no money for gear some hope that with enough talent, they can break down the cost of entry and use budget-oriented equipment. The budget gear of today is far superior to that of 10-15 years ago and even then, if you look at records made then on budgets, some went on to have high levels of success.

I'm not trying to be discouraging but we should never say "well, so and so did it with just an SM57 and a Bluetube, so that's all I need." It's true, that is all you NEED, but you're going to spend a LOT more time fixing the problems that just one versatile mic on all sources is going to create, not to mention the lack of creativity that can stem from that new piece of gear.

If we don't strive to make the best-sounding results possible, what are we doing here discussing how to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I dont have a playstation so I have to book a big room to get my Metal Gear fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
the secretary at our studio calls Gearslutz

"That stupid website your always on..you know, the one with the bird on the skateboard"
It took 6 years but I think I found my avatar in action: http://imgur.com/gallery/2cNN5

Last edited by donsolo; 24th October 2012 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: added
classique
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioland View Post
By the way I have a U67 to sell ... for those who know why you don' twanna use a $100 mic even if you could make a hit with it ...
And Hopefully now this rap artist just bought a good mic ...
He recently upgraded to a $700 mic but he still puts a sock over it instead of a filter. He didn't specify which mic nor could i tell by the picture
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear maniac

The songs of Robert Johnson - vox/gtrs were recorded with one mic. Those songs are still loved today 80 years later. Although I doubt this guys music will outlast Robert Johnson's music (maybe I'm wrong!). A $100 or a $10,000 mic isn't gonna make or not make a hit. The point is, GS is a forum where equipment gets discussed and what equipment works best for this or that situation etc. not which mic will make you a hit.

Springsteen's "Nebraska" was recorded with a 4-track cassette recorder. Even after they went in to the studio and tracked it the "proper" way they still decided that his 4-track recordings done at his house had a vibe that the studio recording was lacking.

Either way the subject is interesting!
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Makes perfect sense to me

hitsong=$100 mic
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
Have you actually heard this track? Sure, it is a hit but seriously, it doesn't "sound" great. Your going to get tracks that become hits simply because the track is catchy or what people want to hear, but on a technically level, it doesn't sound that good and for me this is one of them. I think when it comes to Rap music, the microphone has a much lesser part to play.
exactly. May be a hit song, but the vocal track does exactly sound like what it is: recorded with a poor mic. Maybe that is the effect he wanted - so this is an example for the creative use of deliberatly bad sound, but not for "a 100$ mic could sound like high end".
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post

Sent from my PC36100
USB mic means: cheapest of cheap convertor, cheapest of cheap preamp. There might be better ones and worse ones, but in the end, compared to the same mic with standard XLR through a combination of quality convertors and a quality preamp, tha latter will always be superior.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search