Subscribe
Wingman3434
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to Wingman3434
USB Live Streaming Microphone Under $100

Hi Slutz,

I’m looking for a USB microphone to use for Skype, podcasting and live streaming. I can spend around $100. I have done some research and found the Audio Technica AT2020 and the Blue Yeti does anyone have any experience with these mics and if not can you recommend and others?
Wingman3434
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

Any help out there slutz?
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear nut

The AT2020 is going to sound detailed, and more than good enough for a podcast. It is definitely one of the better mics for this type of thing...I really don't want to get into what most people are using

As for myself, I just use a 58 for our podcast (my office where I record the show is a bit open). Something like this would work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT200...sb+dynamic+mic

I just go dynamic because I don't want the sound of the room all over our show. Our host is using a cheaper MXL condenser and it sounds fantastic. I mean, really, most podcasts end up at 64kbps mono, so it's pretty hard to choose something that would be disappointing.

(Shameless plug)
There's a link to our show in my signature if you want to hear the mics in action. You can tell that Gabe (our host) has a bit more definition to his voice (using the condenser). I'm the Tim with the 58, and the other tim has a headset (you'll know which is which). Full spectrum show I guess
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

i used a at2020 at2035 and sm57 sm58 early on. I didn't like the condensers because they cause a lot of mouth noise. you will likely get a lot of click sounds in your recordings and youll have no idea where its coming from and go nuts if you use that for podcasting. id consider getting a nd767a it is very good. it will give you very clear sound but it is plosive so it needs a pop filter or youll have to be pretty far away and you cant have it off axis cause itll be nasal LOL. you know what dont pass up on the blue snowball its a pretty harsh bright mic and you talk very close to it. the at2020 you can talk farther away but the blue snowball is almost like a dynamic where it doesnt pick up much a foot away from it. but right now i use a sm7b. i think dynamics are the way to go fod podcasts. only a condenser if you plan to have the mic far away from you. like i said your biggest concern is mouth noise and even far away they show up clear as day. those clicks are crazy try to listen for them on youtube when people review the at2020. sometimes you may not hear any but you ll find someone doing it constantly. youll think their setup is screwed up. EQ the hell out of a dynamic. id consider trying sennheiser handheld mics. thats probably what id do if i did it al lover again. sm58 is kind of honky and im assuming sennheiser is more natural. electro voice is pretty cool but a little fake sounding from the mics i used
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman3434 View Post
Hi Slutz,

I’m looking for a USB microphone to use for Skype, podcasting and live streaming. I can spend around $100. I have done some research and found the Audio Technica AT2020 and the Blue Yeti does anyone have any experience with these mics and if not can you recommend and others?
How about an Icicle or similar product? Then you can make any non-phantom powered XLR mic into a USB mic.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Wingman3434
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the help guys.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search