Newbie Here, questions about monitors/cables
relaxitsindigo
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear interested

Newbie Here, questions about monitors/cables

Hey, i'm a newbie and i've only been learning everything production wise for 1 year and I finally got some money to buy gear

I'm about to buy the yamaha hs80m monitors as alot of people say on here they're good for their price range (i'm on a tight budget). I'm pretty sure for the most part, a balanced connection is preferred over a unbalanced one so I'm looking at xlr cables and tsr cables. I assume xlr are more heavy duty but my speakers are going to stay in my bedroom so I'm wondering if theres a difference between the two types of cables. I still need to buy a audio interface ($100-$200) but i'm not knowledgeable in that area. all i know is if i use the xlr cables, i'm going to need at least 2 pre amps. suggestions would be awesome. thx!
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear interested

As a newbie myself I can only offer you the information I know. I recommend using the XLR connectors because they have a balanced input. As for an audio interface i recommend the Focucusrite Scarlet and Saffire Series also if you are interested in using Pro Tools i recommend the M-Audio Mobile. Some other options are the Lexicon Omega and Tascam.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Head

Just get a pair of TRS cables. TRS=balanced.
relaxitsindigo
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

what trs cables would you recommend? there are some cables that are like 15 dollars and some for 40 bucks. whats the difference?
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

Most cables will do just fine if you look after them good. I also recommend heat shrinking where the conector meets the cable.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

It doesn't matter which you use, as both TRS and XLR are balanced. If your outputs are balanced then go ahead and use balanced cable. It may be easiest to stick with the 1/4 inch TRS cable if your soundcard already uses 1/4 inch outs. Look up and check that your outs are balanced. If not, it could cause problems for the inputs in your monitors as they are designed to have a certain type of connection/signal.

XLR offers some good qualities over the TRS. In the case of microphones, the 48 volts supplied by the preamp is on two of the connectors. These connectors are separated by space at all times. In TRS, the connectors interact with other elements, so there is a quick moment when there is a short as the connector is being inserted. Sometimes you'll see an XLR patchbay for this reason among others.

Use whatever cable is best for you. If you are willing to learn, you can make the cables you need out of Mogami raw cable part number W2549 and a neutrik connector. Very cheep to make and you get very high quality.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search