M Audio Project Mix?
Old 6th July 2006
Gear maniac

M Audio Project Mix?

Hey there,

Yes, I did a search...

Someone hipped me to the M Audio Project Mix. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ixIO-main.html I was tinking about getting the Digi 002, but they said that the pres and converters were actually better in the M Audio thingy... Anybody have any opinions? What am I losing by staying with M based PT instead of full on LE? Anything? Are the pres and converters really better in the Project Mix?

The background that some of you helpful folks already know:

I am currently using the M Audio Firewire 1814 and want to get myself to a +4 system ASAP, so I can use my Sytek pres, or at least not use pads on my pres...The pads are killing me.

Thanks
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

I chose a projectmix over an 002. The preamps and converters on both aren't great, but with the thousand dollars you save on the projectmix you can buy more toys. I bought the projectmix when it came out for 999 dollars, and used the extra money for an isa 428 with the converter addition. So for about the same price as an 002, I was able to get 4 nice preamps and 4 more line inputs with their own conversion. What a deal!
The only problem is that my projectmix loses communication from time to time, but it's a 10 second fix, so I still would take it over the 002.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

i forgot to mention that i absolutely HATE the pres on the projectmix, even for hacking around with. they are very noisy, but there are 8 of them, and there are tracks that don't need high or even medium range pres. Even with the price change on the projectmix, for the same price as an 002 you can get an octopre too, and have 8 more generic pres with their own conversion
Old 6th July 2006
Gear nut

If I'm not mistaken, the line-ins are only -10; Prosumer at best. Otherwise, it looks like a killer controller. Also, MP isn't any different than LE.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdc
If I'm not mistaken, the line-ins are only -10; Prosumer at best. Otherwise, it looks like a killer controller. Also, MP isn't any different than LE.
The 002 would fall into prosumer territory as well. So you can go ahead and spend an extra 1000 dollars for essentially the same quality, or you can save some money and be able to afford a "real" preamp or two, depending on your level of gear lust. I've used both, and choosing the projectmix was a no-brainer.
Old 5th February 2008
Gear interested

…and what about 5.1 monitoring on ProjectMix I/O? No matter it has four line outs, I belive it can be expended with some external D/A converter via ADAT. Have anyone of you tried such a thing?

thank's!
Vladimir
Old 7th February 2008
Lives for gear

Blacklionaudio.com
Blacklionaudio.com
Blacklionaudio.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well what i mean is you can get it modded by these guys and its worth it
if you end up going with any of the digi products face it the pres suck...how ever the onese these guys replace it with are superb or so a friend of mine who works in the industry says.....like Night and Day...plus they can change the clocking and everything just depending on which mod package you get for which modle you get 002 or 003
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
Hey there,

Yes, I did a search...

Someone hipped me to the M Audio Project Mix. M-AUDIO - ProjectMix I/O - Control Surface with Motorized Faders and 18 x 14 Audio Interface I was tinking about getting the Digi 002, but they said that the pres and converters were actually better in the M Audio thingy... Anybody have any opinions? What am I losing by staying with M based PT instead of full on LE? Anything? Are the pres and converters really better in the Project Mix?

The background that some of you helpful folks already know:

I am currently using the M Audio Firewire 1814 and want to get myself to a +4 system ASAP, so I can use my Sytek pres, or at least not use pads on my pres...The pads are killing me.

Thanks
Just so you know the M-Audio PJMix is pretty decent. Like some one mentioned you save big rather going with the 003. Above that, with the money you save, which is a good amount you can upgrade everything in it and have it modified at BLA (black lion audio) website. They have a package right now for the Project Mix to upgrade the preamps, and the converters and clocking. That would probably sound alot better than the actual 003.

Also it leaves you open to using other software besides pro-tools. Using M-Powered is not much different. There are some plug ins that wont work and certain parts of session data that wont be fully recognized by either, but all the audio elements are pretty much intact and compatible.
Old 9th February 2008
Gear addict

Don't forget, the Project Mix can be moded by BLA to bring it up to semi-pro standards. Which is well worth the money, IMO. So save the money buying the ProjectMix and MP and just mod it by BLA and you'll have a much better set-up than just a 002.
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio.vanni View Post
Don't forget, the Project Mix can be moded by BLA to bring it up to semi-pro standards. Which is well worth the money, IMO. So save the money buying the ProjectMix and MP and just mod it by BLA and you'll have a much better set-up than just a 002.

yep
i got mine modded at BLA and wham
what a difference
Old 14th May 2008
Gear nut

What about software, what does the ProjectMix come with?

Can you use Protools LE at all? Does Cubase & all VST plug ins work?

Thanks!
Old 14th May 2008
Gear nut

hated my Project mix

Got a killer deal on one directly from Maudio through a pro deal. I used it for 2 days before I got rid of it. Hated the pres, and unstable as all hell. Maybe I just got a bad one but their Customer service was horrible too. So I am done with MAUDIO
Old 16th August 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthnlife13 View Post
Got a killer deal on one directly from Maudio through a pro deal. I used it for 2 days before I got rid of it. Hated the pres, and unstable as all hell. Maybe I just got a bad one but their Customer service was horrible too. So I am done with MAUDIO

Hello - first post.

M-Audio has updated their drivers since your post and my ProjectMix is rock solid these days. There was a big improvement when the 1.8.4-3 driver came out (6/26/08). I'm referring to Mac, BTW.

-geekd
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio.vanni View Post
Can you put up a link to that? Or PM me one? Can't find it on their site... Much talk about their Digi HD upgrades, which aren't for me... YET!

Thanks!

James.
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekd View Post
Hello - first post.

M-Audio has updated their drivers since your post and my ProjectMix is rock solid these days. There was a big improvement when the 1.8.4-3 driver came out (6/26/08). I'm referring to Mac, BTW.

-geekd
Do you, or anyone, have any info on the latency figures for the PJMix I/O? I'm hovering between that or a 003R. I'm goig to use either one with both PT LE 8 and Logic 8. I'll be doing a lot of MIDI-programming in Logic, so I'll need decent latency. Say, like 2 ms between a keypress on my masterkeyboard and the sound that comes from my speakers. Is that possible with either unit?

Thanks!

James.

Last edited by jamesblond; 30th July 2009 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: minor addition...
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
Can you put up a link to that? Or PM me one? Can't find it on their site... Much talk about their Digi HD upgrades, which aren't for me... YET!

Thanks!

James.
they no longer mod the projectmix...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search