Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 vs Apogee Duet
Huff
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 vs Apogee Duet

So I am debating between pre amps to finish off my demo studio. I have no outboard gear at this time and only plan to do demo work and over dubs. Currently I have a fast track pro which I am un happy with the recording quality from it.

I plan to record the following but not at the same time.
Vocals
Bass and electric guitar
Acoustic guitar
Maybe midi however I have a separate control for this.

Budget $500 on the high end..

So far I have been looking at a duet as I can get one for $350 with a break out box.

In the past I have looked at a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 for 8 inputs and " future proofing my studio" that and having the ability to turn this into a mobile recording setup ( with another 8 channels)

My gut says get the duet as they are better sounding pres quality over quantity. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear interested

Personally the trade off of versatility with the apogee is just not worth it for my own needs. I bought the Pro 40 a couple of years ago and haven't looked back! Definitely 'future proofs' your studio with the ADAT as you say.

My understanding when buying it was that for what it does, in the price range, it has some of the best AD/DA, pre amps, functionality and quality. Even though I rarely use all 8 or even 16 currently, it was a no brainer for me. I know that the Apogee is a quality piece of kit though - different strokes..
24th September 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Gear interested

The Apogee Duet has always seemed like an Apple-esque gimmick product to me. For every analog knob you sacrifice in a digital audio setting, expect 10+ software menus in its place.

Is that truly "sleek"? I'm sure their sound quality is great, for the price, I would get a rackmount interface with a zillion knobs.

Focusrites punch above their weight.
24th September 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Gear addict
I owned both of those (Duet 1)

My view, is both are good sounding and stable.

The decision would be made on how much gain you need out of the preamps and how many inputs/outputs you see yourself needing down the track and portability.

The preamps on the duet have far more gain available, its clean gain, and would pair nicely with Ribbons.

I think, they are close enough, in real world terms, in being able to produce quality work, that it comes down to ins and outs.

Both drivers were stable on my mac. I found both software audio interface application sufficient.

The metering on the Pro 40 was good, I could see it whilst being across the room. The two headphone outputs on it were great.

cheers

Wiz
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
Gear interested

I have done several recordings at home for pre-production and I am always very surprised with the sound quality of Duet, and I really don't need more than 2 inputs.

Of course, the pro 40 has more features that you might want to apply in your recording process, but in terms of quality and depth of sound, Duet wins my heart!
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

Focusrites are nice but the mic input gains are pretty low and you need to push the gain stage quite a lot with some mics. Never had that issue with Apogees. Now, FocusRite tech support said it's quite OK but it feels weird to crank the gain to 10 to get a decent input level....
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search