Login / Register

Dirt Cheap Mics That Sound Great.
New Reply
Subscribe
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Geariophile

^^^ lol....yep, I think that one wins the ice pick competition.
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

i want em all. will be interesting to hear which one does the job.

the chain is an egc guitar into ivp pre into musicman head, so i figure i'd give an electrical audio type mic a go.

i was sooo close to getting the dm622 but someone else, (not mentioning names) beat me to it.

i refuse to talk about a~g mics on account that it wil drive up the prices.
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
...Another possibility (if you run across one) is an AKG D3700s.

A friend of mine just got one thrown into a box o' mics he got for free from a church he did some work for.

It looks like this:
You can see why it might do the job looking at the frequency response:
hahaha oddly enough an old church I went to used those mics and they are indeed fantastic when you can find them

vocals and instruments both seem well represented when we used them at church for praise and worship

there are so many awesome EV and AKG mics that have become lost to obscurity it's hard to remember them all to list them I believe that AKG had several other "tri power" series mics if I recall I used a handheld condenser that I felt blew away the Beta 87, granted I now own a KMS105 so it's hard to say how those two would stack up.
eastsidetone
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidetone View Post
This is a thread for dirt cheap mics that simply went far beyond your expectations.

I don't want to see anything that retails for more then a $150.00

Also please keep processing to a minimum and try not use any pres that cost more $500.00

There's simply no point in getting someones hopes up by plugging a Behringer into something like a high end Neve

Lastly, no mods please!

please provide a sample of the mic of you submit!!!
I hope we all learn a lot from this :D
--------------------------------------------------

First up is the Audix F-14
--------------------------------
A few years ago I bought this mic from Front End Audio for $60. It is my understanding that Audix discontinued this mic and therefore decided to sale the last ones cheap.

When I received it in the mail I was disappointed by the build quality. It feels like it is made out of cheap aluminum and plastic.

I tried it on a bass drum and all I got was mud and tons of bleed(not the good kind either!)

I figured you get what you pay for.....

I always felt like this mic was useless until the day I tried it on a bass cab; after which it became one of go to mics :D
---------------------------------------------------------------

Rogue Beatles bass copy with flatwounds.

First clip is DI'd into a Presonus Firestudio

Second clip is through a low end solid state ampeg. The mic pre is a ART Digital MPA II

I only used a very transparent limiter to control peaks.
both files are the same volume too.
Okay folks I feel like we getting a little off topic so I decided to repost the first post.

@gouge

Does your guitarist rig already sound like an icepick cutting through?

If not I would suggest a fender telecaster and twin reverb......

just a bit of warning though, that combination can really hurt some ears :D

@12ax7

I was once working in shop that had some crazy sounding akg that was made out of bakelight and had a HUGE midrange response. Everything that went through it instantly had a cool lofi sound similar to the strokes.

I wish I knew what it was.
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

yes i guess i did go off a little.

the current setup is as good as it gets for the sound we were chasing. it's an all aluminium guitar played with metal picks through an ivp preamp and musicman (fender type) head. that setup does albini style math rock to the T. you get a real metalic (ice picky) top end with lots of low end beef and good midrange. the mic choice to date hasn't translated the top end so good. steve albini uses a pro37 sometimes as his second mic with this type of sound. when i use the 201 and push the top end with an eq it does it. but i'd like to just find the right mic and forget the eq.

so back on topic and apologies.

akg vintage mics.
d202, d224.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidetone View Post
Okay folks I feel like we getting a little off topic so I decided to repost the first post.

@gouge

Does your guitarist rig already sound like an icepick cutting through?

If not I would suggest a fender telecaster and twin reverb......

just a bit of warning though, that combination can really hurt some ears :D

@12ax7

I was once working in shop that had some crazy sounding akg that was made out of bakelight and had a HUGE midrange response. Everything that went through it instantly had a cool lofi sound similar to the strokes.

I wish I knew what it was.
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Gear maniac

KEL Audio!!! Check him out!!z

Sent from my MB860
eastsidetone
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
yes i guess i did go off a little.

the current setup is as good as it gets for the sound we were chasing. it's an all aluminium guitar played with metal picks through an ivp preamp and musicman (fender type) head. that setup does albini style math rock to the T. you get a real metalic (ice picky) top end with lots of low end beef and good midrange. the mic choice to date hasn't translated the top end so good. steve albini uses a pro37 sometimes as his second mic with this type of sound. when i use the 201 and push the top end with an eq it does it. but i'd like to just find the right mic and forget the eq.

so back on topic and apologies.

akg vintage mics.
d202, d224.

Wow that sounds very ice picky!!!

Got any pics?

Just trying to say that it's just as important to start with the source when going for brightness.

Looks like you went down that route already :D
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
@Jidis I was referring to condensers haha!

I've never tried a CAD dynamic
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
57, 58, e609

Pretty much anything CAD or Audio Technica
Especially the CAD E100 (the original U.S. made, not the e100s or the new E100s). It's the flattest sounding condenser I've ever heard and is just a great sounding mic.
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Taking Down your Network

AKG D120

Kills on guitar cabs. Vintage and cheap.
No one seems to like the look... but man, the sound...
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear interested

Studio Projects B1. Mediocre on vocals and Elec. guitar, heavenly on acoustic guitar and toms.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear maniac

Superlux S502 &/ ECM999 (also combined in Faulkner's AB66+ORTF array)
25th September 2012
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

This thread, and a few others I've read over the years, convinced me to finally pickup a pair of 635a's. I needed another option to compliment the condensers I normally use on AGtr, and the dynamics/condensers/ribbons I use on EGtr cabs.

Right now I have a pair of Oktavamod 603S's for OHD's on my kit, but I eventually get tired of everything I've tried there and will give the 635a's a chance one day.

Any placement advice for omni mics for OHD duty? I normally do an A/B over the cymbals only, not too high up (18" maybe), and angled outwards slightly because I close mic the drums. Using a DMP3 pre for that application.

Thanks....
25th September 2012
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

The 635a sounds great close miked on guitar cabs. No proximity effect.

Tried recorder man was pretty neat if you're looking for a vintage lo-fi kind of sound but I wouldn't use it regularly. Do like them on toms but I like my toms rolled off for attack only so they sit nicely with the fuller sound of the overheads.

Try one as a room mic or on the floor pointing up at the drummer between the hi-hat and kik drum.
25th September 2012
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
The 635a also sounds great close miked on guitar cabs. No proximity effect.

It can also work out nice on a bass cab in conjunction with a DI:

Get your crunchy midrange from the 635a, and blend it in.
26th September 2012
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks gravyface and 12ax7.

I'll try the room and floor looking up for my kit.

I'll give the bass cab a try as well (Ampeg BA-115HP)
I normally use a D112, but did have some decent luck with my CM-6's.

Otherwise, I have a lot guitar experimenting to do.
26th September 2012
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

Note to Self: "Re-visit the E-V locker." I've got a 664 that came through OK in a M/S set up once...never considered the 635A. Need to find a sweet spot for my 630. All well under the $100 mark too.
26th September 2012
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

I just got a blast from the past tonite when I mentioned this thread to a friend of mine who does live sound:

We were standing by his FOH board at a gig he was doing, talkin' about useful dirt-cheap mics, when he casually reached over, pulled open a drawer in the rack and dug down under all the pigtail adapters and whatnot and pulled out an old Radio Shack 588 (circa 1977)!

The 588 was basically a cheaply-made version of an sm58-type "balltop" mic which was stuffed with out-of-spec (but fully functional) '58 capsules rejected by Shure.

They're kinda "hit and miss" on frequency response and/or sensitivity, but if you can manage to get the right ones in front of the right instruments, its kinda like gettin' a free "one-preset" EQ with each mic!

For this reason, back when I first started doing live sound in the late '70s (when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth), you could trade those things like baseball cards or marbles among economically-challenged "in the know" sound-brethren.

The weak ingredient of the 588 was the windscreen: Not only was it made outta cheap screenwire (really more suited to keeping mosquitoes out of your kitchen than it was for a microphone), but also the foam inside the balltop was crap even when it was new. (So you can best bet that if you have one of them today, its pretty much cheese.)

If you happen to find a box of 'em somewhere try pulling off the balltops, and go through 'em one-by-one, trying 'em on guitar cabs!

...Anyway, back to the story:

Just for yucks, when setting up the next band, my friend added the 588 as a second mic on one of the guitar cabs. - And yep: Sure enough, the 588 just happened to sound better!
It can really put quite a silly grin on your face to be tracking a great-sounding guitar part with absolutely NO EQ using a mic that cheap!
When recording, don't forget to try 'em with different mic preamps, just like you would with more expensive mics. (Some folks tend to forget this matters, even with cheap mics.)

26th September 2012
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

yeah agree, i try all of the mics with every preamp in the studio and mix stuff up

looking back thru some session sheets once to figure out what i had used i noticed a couple of trends.

nady rsm4 with the sytek
635a with the ma-5
m201 with the api

outside of the scope of this thread but

c414 and ma-5 is sweet.
jolly modified nt2a and the daking,
royer r121 and daking
eastsidetone
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
Gear maniac

I used to work in a vintage shop that had DOZENS of 664's!

Great post 12ax7!

I also have to agree with everyone here about the EV635a
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Head

At2035. Around $130 on Amazon.

Sent from my SGH-T989 2
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchy View Post
Studio Projects B1. Mediocre on vocals and Elec. guitar, heavenly on acoustic guitar and toms.
It took three pages for this to show up?

For $100 you can't go wrong with this mic.
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Guru

I got a pair of CAD e60 mics for $99 each. Easily the best $100 mic for acoustic instruments that I have....

-tINY

10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Gear Head

The MCA SP-1 was mentioned previously. It's basically a Schoeps transformerless circuit with MXL's 603S/604 SDC capsule on top. The MXL V57 (discontinued) is the same mic with a 32mm LDC -- today called the V63M.

The MXL 990, which you can buy for $70 with a free SDC thrown in, is the same mic as the SP-1 albeit in a different body shape.

They're all decent mics on their own, but oh so much better after modding. For example, an LDC swap is a piece of cake. Put a K47-type or CK12-type capsule on there and the mics will sing. Rework the circuit too, and these mics will sing Hallelujah.

For the DIY folks, here's a sweet mod kit for all these mics:
Microphone Modification Kits | Microphone Parts

I'll make one more suggestion that pushes the "dirt cheap" definition a bit but delivers 3x its cost in value: the Shure SM7B. It kicks ass on vocals, cab, snare, kick, brass. No, it's not a $60 mic, but it's indestructible, and sounds good just about everywhere -- definitely a mic that you'll reach for over and over (which is more than I can say for most of the sub-$100 mics I own).
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

revisiting ice picks theme,

the e609 silver is working out very well recording the top end on guitar cab. i used it again last night with a sytek pre as a second mic, first mic grabbing the body of the sound and the sennheiser grabbing the top end. worked very nicely.

another mic that really surprised me is the ksm137, not as open and big as the oktavas but pretty good mic.
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankencat View Post
At2035. Around $130 on Amazon.

Sent from my SGH-T989 2
I love this mic and I bought it for $100 from Amazon. I also got the AKG P 220 for $100.

The 2035 cuts through mixes very well and sounds more "glassy" and pristine than the AKG, but it is a bit thin sounding.

The AKG is much "wider" with more bass, more suitable for male vocals (I like it more than my old v67g, as it has less noise), but a tad muddy on instruments.

Both cover the other's weaknesses quite well.
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Cameron View Post
KEL Audio!!! Check him out!!z

Sent from my MB860
Great microphones. I use mine all the time.

Really need to get my hands on one or two 635a's. Are they really as good as the hype suggests guys? Why/what are they great at?
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyokay View Post
Great microphones. I use mine all the time.

Really need to get my hands on one or two 635a's. Are they really as good as the hype suggests guys? Why/what are they great at?
I LOVE what they do to acoustic guitars.
eastsidetone
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Gear maniac

Anyone care to upload more mic samples?
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

here's some stuff from last friday.

right channel - grestch hotrod -> rodenberg overdrive -> jcm900 50w combo -> shure ksm137 10-12" back-> ma-5

left channel same as above without the rodenberg done as a double

over the buss i used an eq with -3db @ 400hz + -1.5db @ 6k

this was the last session with that amp before it was taken to the tech for a service and tube upgrade to hopefully remove the subtle scratchiness.
Attached Files
File Type: wav The Only Thing ksm137.wav (8.55 MB, 44 views)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search