Gear maniac

Audix F15 condensor mic - Cardioid polar pattern $100 for pair
great for acoustic guitar too.
Audix om5 $119
Audix i5 $99.00
Blue encore 100 $99.99

Mic Preamp under $500
API Style-WARM AUDIO WA12 $449
warm, gives color and character, low noise, tons of gain 71db. great for vocal, highly recommended

Transparent-Focusrite ISA One $499
clear transparent, big. love to print kick track over it.
lots of features, impendance switch, polarity, headphone, etc
Old 17th September 2012
Gear nut

T-Bone SC400. I got 2 of them on Ebay for about 30 or 40 GBP each (I guess about $60) years ago.

I've used them on Overheads, acoustic guitar and vocals. Amazing for the price.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear addict

Tested live vocals
Audix om5, i5, sm57 and behringer xm8500
The behringer sounded sweetest!! Doesnt reject feedback as well as audix

$25-$30 only
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
Tested live vocals
Audix om5, i5, sm57 and behringer xm8500
The behringer sounded sweetest!! Doesnt reject feedback as well as audix

$25-$30 only
I LOVE the XM8500. I agree with it sounding sweet. However, my friend used to have six of these, and when we'd do a cappella, the lower end just started to stack pretty badly. The same thing happens with the Prodipe TT1.

I think a challenging question would be: What lower end microphones can you just layer and layer without running into these problems? I'd be okay with an XM8500, a TT1, some brighter Chinese condenser, and a weird character dynamic all in tandem, but I'd never layer too many tracks with any one of them.

The EV635 comes back to mind. I don't own them anymore, gave them away to friends and family, and miss them sometimes, especially since it's caught on and I can't just go grab two $50 ones off of eBay anymore.

The specific reason I'm asking is because of the nature of "LOW end," many of the people in this forum tend to be overdub monsters.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
RFT DM622

Ok, not new or in the shops, but cheap as pants and yields cool tones on acoustic, hand percussion, drums....can even sound good on vocals in the right context.....a little thin, omni and with a great sort of sheen in the top for a dynamic, but and old sheen, not a new, plasticky one.
Yes, that was my first thought too! Great Mic on acoustic guitar, just got a second one on eBay last weekend for stereo recording.
It's a vintage mic though (and no cheap one, when it was released), and the prices seem to have gone up a bit as it is being mentioned in "secret weapon tipp" threads as a better alternative to the SM57 more frequently lately. But you can still get used ones in mint condition for 30-70€ on german eBay.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
Yes, that was my first thought too! Great Mic on acoustic guitar, just got a second one on eBay last weekend for stereo recording.
It's a vintage mic though (and no cheap one, when it was released), and the prices seem to have gone up a bit as it is being mentioned in "secret weapon tipp" threads as a better alternative to the SM57 more frequently lately. But you can still get used ones in mint condition for 30-70€ on german eBay.
at least i know who i'm bidding against now.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

kinda surprised no one has put up the old sm57. what a quality mic for vocals!

here is my favourite use of it going through a mudhoney distortion pedal.

Attached Files
File Type: wav vox.wav (2.55 MB, 123 views)
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
at least i know who i'm bidding against now.
te-hee

The first DM-622 I got for 7€ (untested) on eBay - I even liked the sound of that one although I found out later that it was flawed - compared to a second one I bought that sounded much better. I really love the sound. The first (flawed) one had some bumps in the mids that made it sound a bit thin, but had nonetheless a sparkling top end that was great on steel string guitar.

Bought a third one for fixed price (49€) on eBay today and hope that it is of the same quality that the second one to get a nice pair for stereo recordings. So keep your fingers crossed that I found what I was looking for - If so, I'm out of the DM-622 hunt for now and you have one bidder less to cope with

(btw: the next "secret weapon tipp" on vintage east german mics will arrive tomorrow: A "Funkberater MD30-2" I got for 21€. Will report back here, if it arrives and lives up to the good things I heard about it).
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

it made me smile also.

do you know if there is truly a difference between the blue and black versions?

Quote:
te-hee

The first DM-622 I got for 7€ (untested) on eBay - I even liked the sound of that one although I found out later that it was flawed when I got a second one that sounded much better. I really love the sound. The first (flawed) one had some bumps in the mids that made it sound a bit thin, but had nonetheless a sparkling top end that was great on steel string guitar.

Bought a third one for fixed price (49€) on eBay today and hope that it is of the same quality to get a pair for stereo recordings. So keep your fingers crossed that I found what I was looking for - If so, I'm out of the hunt for now and you have one bidder less to cope with
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierkes View Post
I think a challenging question would be: What lower end microphones can you just layer and layer without running into these problems?
i quickly whipped up a wall of ev635a for you.

so we have eg1 with 635a room mic hard left through sytek,
eg2 with 635a room mic hard right through sytek,
then eg3 with nady rsm4 down the middle through ma-5 with the same guitar's 635a room mic through a sytek panned hard and offset 20ms.

no build up even with the ma-5 chugging away. but my head hurts when i loop it over and over and over and over...
Attached Files
File Type: wav guitar.wav (3.83 MB, 182 views)
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
it made me smile also.

do you know if there is truly a difference between the blue and black versions?
I don't know - the first one I got for 7€ had a black body and a blue capsule - don't know what that means; maybe someone used parts from both to patch up one working mic? Maybe that's the explanation for the "flawed" (but not really bad) sound I mentioned before. There's currently a newer black model from 1987 on German eBay, would be interesting to know if there's a difference to the older vintage versions.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
i quickly whipped up a wall of ev635a for you.

so we have eg1 with 635a room mic hard left through sytek,
eg2 with 635a room mic hard right through sytek,
then eg3 with nady rsm4 down the middle through ma-5 with the same guitar's 635a room mic through a sytek panned hard and offset 20ms.

no build up even with the ma-5 chugging away. but my head hurts when i loop it over and over and over and over...
PHEW! I get a feeling I'd have a headache no matter what microphones you'd stick on that! But that's just me and my recent (year or so) aversion to noisy hard rock.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear interested

The AT Pro37 is one of my favorites in the cheap range. This thing works great on nearly any application that's typical for small diaphragm condensers, as well as a few that I don't generally look for an SDC on (vocals), and for $129, you can't go wrong with these! If memory served, Albini even referred to this as the best mic you can buy under $200.

Another one that I don't see here that I wouldn't quite say great about, but definitely more useful than it gets credit for is the Behringer ECM8000 (their measurement mic). I wouldn't expect it to be an Earthworks, but, at $59, it's worth having one, or even two. I've used them as random room mics when I have extra channels that I can fill and some other less conventional uses.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear
Great thread!

As a realist, I know why the pros usually turn to more expensive and impressive mics.

But, as a musician, I've learned that great music can be captured with far less. Mics are like paint colors- and a clever artist can make masterpieces on some cheap gear!
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

57, 58, e609

Pretty much anything CAD or Audio Technica
Old 17th September 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for the clips guys!

As mentioned before, this thread is more about underdogs so lets skip the obvious stuff like 57,58,beyer.

Also please more sound-clips! I think everyone would love to hear how most of these things sound.

A note about mic pres................

I am seeing tons of them that I would love to hear too.

Perhaps they could be demoed with a 57 on an acoustic guitar since most folks know what that sounds like.

Unless someones got a better idea.

p.s. more clips from me coming soon!
Old 17th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
I LOVE the XM8500. I agree with it sounding sweet. However, my friend used to have six of these, and when we'd do a cappella, the lower end just started to stack pretty badly. The same thing happens with the Prodipe TT1.

I think a challenging question would be: What lower end microphones can you just layer and layer without running into these problems? I'd be okay with an XM8500, a TT1, some brighter Chinese condenser, and a weird character dynamic all in tandem, but I'd never layer too many tracks with any one of them.

The EV635 comes back to mind. I don't own them anymore, gave them away to friends and family, and miss them sometimes, especially since it's caught on and I can't just go grab two $50 ones off of eBay anymore.

The specific reason I'm asking is because of the nature of "LOW end," many of the people in this forum tend to be overdub monsters.

Have you tried cutting out the low end with eq?

Start with each vocalist singing one at a time.

Turn the lows on their channel all the way off.

Slowly bring it back, and stop as soon as it sounds "normal."

The idea is to only use what is necessary, remember that lots of low frequency build can cause the very problem you are experiencing.

Also let us know if my advice does not work out for you. Some one else might help you too.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
Pretty much anything CAD or Audio Technica
I don't think you'd like my CAD ND dynamics. Sound like crunchy doo doo next to a decent clear dynamic, but they have really nice compact bodies with integral mounts. Got the set for next to nothing on Craigslist. I think they're ND10 & ND12.

Figure you're probably talking about condensers though.

Take Care

George (who +1's the Prodipe TT1 )
Old 17th September 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
I don't know - the first one I got for 7€ had a black body and a blue capsule - don't know what that means; maybe someone used parts from both to patch up one working mic? Maybe that's the explanation for the "flawed" (but not really bad) sound I mentioned before. There's currently a newer black model from 1987 on German eBay, would be interesting to know if there's a difference to the older vintage versions.
I used to have a blue and a black one and they made a good pair, didn't notice any difference. Then I stupidly sold them....but have since got myself a nice, clean black pair and they're not going anywhere. Funky mic.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like the 8500, too - bought one for a friend of mine for her low budget home recording starter kit after I read some positive reviews - was so surprised about the quality you get from this cheap thing that I immediately bought one for my locker, too. Don't have any experience with stacking them though. Did you try EQ'ing the problematic frequencies on every single one?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to have a blue and a black one and they made a good pair, didn't notice any difference. Then I stupidly sold them....but have since got myself a nice, clean black pair and they're not going anywhere. Funky mic.
Mine sound quite different - so maybe my "black-blue" one was flawed by a bad repair job. But still the unmatched pair sounds pretty good on acoustic guitar. My second blue one will arrive within the next days, will post a stereo clip as soon as I have it. I'm also curious about the Funkberater MD30-2 that I ordered last week - also an east german vintage mic you can get for 20-30€ on german eBay and that got some great reviews - will post a clip of it, too.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToNever View Post
I heard some impressive clips of Behringer C2. For the money it's a steal.
I have two collecting dust if you are interested.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
te-hee

The first DM-622 I got for 7€ (untested) on eBay - I even liked the sound of that one although I found out later that it was flawed - compared to a second one I bought that sounded much better. I really love the sound. The first (flawed) one had some bumps in the mids that made it sound a bit thin, but had nonetheless a sparkling top end that was great on steel string guitar.

Bought a third one for fixed price (49€) on eBay today and hope that it is of the same quality that the second one to get a nice pair for stereo recordings. So keep your fingers crossed that I found what I was looking for - If so, I'm out of the DM-622 hunt for now and you have one bidder less to cope with

(btw: the next "secret weapon tipp" on vintage east german mics will arrive tomorrow: A "Funkberater MD30-2" I got for 21€. Will report back here, if it arrives and lives up to the good things I heard about it).
I also have those two mics, used on percussion. But my pets of the month are other mics of my little vintage arsenal:
Telefunken M811 ( great on guitar cabinet);
Soundstar X1n ( same as above, but also on vocal);
a pair of Red12 from Martin Bradley ( omni on shotgun shell);
a wonderful PHILIPS EL6112/12, really a surprise on vocal;
a Grundig GMD121, really a good room mic in a well treated studio.

I also love my ASTATIC D-104, a great grungelizer...

Old 18th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
@ 'gouge':

Hey, the Beyer m201 is a GREAT friggin' mic!

First class on snare, but works (at least ok) on just about ANYTHING.

Very nice on most hand percussion instruments.

...And its my secret weapon on a couple of instruments I won't name (otherwise it wouldn't be very secret, now would it?).
trust me when I say I'm a huge beyer fan but last I checked the M201 is far from a $150 mic they sell for almost $300 at most major retailers I know of, and usually they aren't under $200 used (if you can find them, while a fantastic and legendary mic it seems to be lost in a sea of SM57s and can become quite obscure).

If we were talking sub $500 mics the M88 and M201 would definitely appear on that list for impressive all rounders. IMHO every studio should own at least one of each of those if for nothing else kick drum and snare drum respectively. Don't forget the M69 that's one of my favorite guitar cab mics.

Try an M201 on a trumpet, acoustic guitar, heck just about any source you will be blown away.

You may as well add Heil PR30 and 40 but again none of these will typically be had for $150 and under.

I have to admit that lately I've been doing Glyn Johns with an M88 on kick, M201 on snare, and a pair of Heil PR30B overheads. Occasionally I'll mix in a mono room mic (usually a LDC).
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidetone View Post
Have you tried cutting out the low end with eq?

Start with each vocalist singing one at a time.

Turn the lows on their channel all the way off.

Slowly bring it back, and stop as soon as it sounds "normal."

The idea is to only use what is necessary, remember that lots of low frequency build can cause the very problem you are experiencing.

Also let us know if my advice does not work out for you. Some one else might help you too.
Oh no, I've tried. I find that cutting the lows makes both the XM8500 and the TT1 sound a bit fizzy. The Behringer survives the low cut better than the Prodipe, because the Prodipe sounds a little more exciting, and hollowing it out underneath makes the thing sound like a shaken soda bottle.

Of course, YMMV.

I'm sure that with more specific cuts the mics would shine. I wouldn't hesitate to track a bunch of "different" things with either, but I can't get a bunch of them to work on various voices.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
@Indie Folk Guy
So the Warm Audio WA12 sounds similar to a API 512c?
If so, that would be quite the pre for the price, and getting to skip out on a lunchbox.
I still have very limited experience with this one since it's still relatively new to the market. I'm actually ordering a couple for my studio soon from zzounds with their payment plan so I kinda get a 30 day trial period.

There are a lot of good sound files available.

Since I don't currently have access to many of the real API preamps or own any it'll be hard but I have used the real deal stuff in the past. From what I could tell they seem to be very much a vintagey charactered preamp and have a very similar sound. They aren't quite as versatile/colorful as my Pre73 (full mod) but they seem like they'll integrate nicely into my setup, obviously they have more going on than my Focusrite pres which are wonderful clean/transparent pres. Each of those fully modded 73s runs about $600 so at $450 this is a great way to add 2 additional channels without skimping on quality their is nothing to really upgrade on the WA12.

I'm planning to use them for stereo acoustic guitar miking, kick drum, snare drum, guitar cabs, etc.

I'm planning to do Glyn Johns method for my next project (full band with my music) on the whole album and here is what I'm planning to use on my kit
Heil PR30B pair as overheads into the full modded Pre73 pair
Beyerdynamic M88TG on kick drum into the Warm Audio WA12
Beyerdynamic M201TG on snare drum into the Warm Audio WA12
AT4033 FOK mic into the Focusrite Scarlett
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie folk guy View Post
trust me when I say I'm a huge beyer fan but last I checked the M201 is far from a $150 mic they sell for almost $300 at most major retailers I know of, and usually they aren't under $200 used (if you can find them, while a fantastic and legendary mic it seems to be lost in a sea of SM57s and can become quite obscure).

If we were talking sub $500 mics the M88 and M201 would definitely appear on that list for impressive all rounders. IMHO every studio should own at least one of each of those if for nothing else kick drum and snare drum respectively. Don't forget the M69 that's one of my favorite guitar cab mics.

Try an M201 on a trumpet, acoustic guitar, heck just about any source you will be blown away.

You may as well add Heil PR30 and 40 but again none of these will typically be had for $150 and under.

I have to admit that lately I've been doing Glyn Johns with an M88 on kick, M201 on snare, and a pair of Heil PR30B overheads. Occasionally I'll mix in a mono room mic (usually a LDC).
i kinda agree with your point there. but it is occasionally possible to get one for $150.

i read an online comment from a guy saying the m201 was finny in that it made guitars sound bright and snares sound dark. sooo true.....
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
PHEW! I get a feeling I'd have a headache no matter what microphones you'd stick on that! But that's just me and my recent (year or so) aversion to noisy hard rock.
e. i don't mind some noise myself.

my music partner is looking for ice pick sounds from his guitar. well that;s how he described it. it does sound like that in the room but i haven't translated it properly yet. the m201 isn't doing it. but i need to try my 609e silver cause that is the brightest mic i've ever heard. and its a cheapo

probably should try and grab a pro37 also for that.
Old 18th September 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
e. i don't mind some noise myself.

my music partner is looking for ice pick sounds from his guitar. well that;s how he described it. it does sound like that in the room but i haven't translated it properly yet. the m201 isn't doing it. but i need to try my 609e silver cause that is the brightest mic i've ever heard. and its a cheapo

probably should try and grab a pro37 also for that.
The top shine from a DM622 would help you create a 'pleasant ice pick' type sound me thinks.......
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

The top shine from a DM622 would help you create a 'pleasant ice pick' type sound me thinks...
...Another possibility (if you run across one) is an AKG D3700s.

A friend of mine just got one thrown into a box o' mics he got for free from a church he did some work for.

It looks like this:
You can see why it might do the job looking at the frequency response:
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search