Tascam M3500
Old 21st June 2006
Gear maniac

Mixing Console wanted for ca. 3000€

[Please look some posts below]

Hi!

What do you think about the Tascam M3500 - how is it compared to the Soundcraft Ghost?

Thanks,

Volker
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

The desks are "ok".
Nothing better than a Mackie 8bus.

The desks IOs are running on -10dB which could be a problem.
I have used it in the past and it was nice, but the eq section is a little limited.

Depending on the price I would say look for something nicer used (might need to do a little more rework on some of the old beauties but they could sound nicer and might still be in $3k range).
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear maniac

Hi!

Due to a new(better) financial situation, I'll start a new discussion: did you mean with "not better than a mackie 8bus" the soundcraft ghost, too?

I saw all these consoles:
tascam m600
tascam m2624
tascam m5000
tascam m700
tascam m320
tascam m2500
Soundcraft 6000
Soundcraft Ghost
Soundtracs 4400

Wow.... which ones can i kick out off the list? ;-)

Volker
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vls
Hi!

Due to a new(better) financial situation, I'll start a new discussion: did you mean with "not better than a mackie 8bus" the soundcraft ghost, too?

I saw all these consoles:
tascam m600
tascam m2624
tascam m5000
tascam m700
tascam m320
tascam m2500
Soundcraft 6000
Soundcraft Ghost
Soundtracs 4400

Wow.... which ones can i kick out off the list? ;-)

Volker
I have the Tascam M-2600MkII, which I think "replaced" the 3500. Lot more features, better EQ., powersupply, etc. I think it shares some of the designs/features of the M-5000 which you listed. The M-5000 was around $40.000'ish when new. If you can find one at a good price, it'll be good. Especially, since it's a little more "up to date" spec. wise! I actually like the M-2600 more than the Mackie 8-Buss!... ...YMMV
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I have a m3700 and really like it, is just a lil over kill for me cuz i only track out the stereo buss into the rosetta 200, so i was thinkin of gettin rid of it, drop me a line if you interested.
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear maniac

we have an M3500.

use it ONLY for routing and monitoring. It's noisy as hell. outboard pre's are a must. (the presonus MP-20's pre's are better - enough said). EQ's.. ONLY used for mics thrown up for rehursals in the studio. i have plans for re-doing the grounding scheme (which was done all wrong evidently) but it requires mods on all channels... no time for that. it's robust - i've never had a problem with it in the 8 years i've worked on it.. and i've spilt beer into one of the frames. i do like to rest my elbows on it while mixing though... and the 21" apple cinema display sits in the knobs nicely. despite it's flaws i find it totally usefull and would not part with it. who would want to buy it anyway?

it also impresses certain clients if that sort of thing is important.

pete andrews
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman
I have the Tascam M-2600MkII, which I think "replaced" the 3500. Lot more features, better EQ., powersupply, etc. I think it shares some of the designs/features of the M-5000 which you listed. The M-5000 was around $40.000'ish when new. If you can find one at a good price, it'll be good. Especially, since it's a little more "up to date" spec. wise! I actually like the M-2600 more than the Mackie 8-Buss!... ...YMMV

I too have that desk. the 24 with the meter bridge. I was about to settle for a mackie 8 buss when I was saved by the Tascam. The difference between the two is the Tascam eq is worth using and the gain stage is not that bad either. I am still happy with it.
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by firby
I too have that desk. the 24 with the meter bridge. I was about to settle for a mackie 8 buss when I was saved by the Tascam. The difference between the two is the Tascam eq is worth using and the gain stage is not that bad either. I am still happy with it.
Yep.! Me too. I have the 24 with meterbridge also. I really like the layout on the M-2600mkII. I wish Tascam would have inserted a little more effort into the components inside tho!... ..I'm actually having a tech 'look" at mine now. He thinks he may be able to modify it to hopefully get rid of some of the short-comings ( ie..mixbuss.!)......SOT..
Old 26th June 2006
Gear maniac

Let's Go

Hi!

tascam m600:
??
tascam m2600MK2:
only a little bit better than mackie 8bus (?), good eq, good powersupply
tascam m5000:
?? good ??
tascam m700:
??
tascam m320:
??
tascam m2500:
??
tascam m3500:
Old, unbalanced inputs, noise, grounding problems, 36 channels
tascam m3700:
???
Soundcraft 6000:
???
Soundcraft Ghost:
wow ;-)
Soundtracs 4400:
??
Mackie 32/8bus:
Cloudy busses, no hi quality eqs, service problems - build on one board

could someone bring them into quality order? (and does someone know the production dates? i want to reduce the list by kicking off old consoles and: i don't want to run always to the service because the console is crappy)

Thanks for your recommendations!

Volker
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

m3500 has 36 and 24 channels!
Old 26th June 2006
Gear maniac

thanks, i corrected the list
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear
If it was based on just "hi-end" prices when new, I think the M-700 would be the most expensive. ( of the Tascams). It probably would be the most modular/and Pro of the Tascam line, as well as the "easiest" to be subject to modification ( upgrades)!... ... Even tho' the M-3500/3700s are thru hole op-amps and such. I think the later models ( M-2600s etc.) went to the SMT stuff.. .. Even though I don't know crap about modding gear, at least with the older designs you could at least imagine what the components did and went in the circuit..!.... .Don't know much about the Soundcraft consoles except I hear the Ghosts were good for the money!....
Old 26th June 2006
Gear nut

at home, i have a m2524 which i mainly use for monitoring. personally, i'd stay away from this desk. the pre's are muddy (the pre's on my mbox are certainly clearer... and that isn't saying a whole lot). i used to go through the channel line inputs on a pair of faders to monitor protools, but switched to the 2trk input and the sound definitely opened up.

one of the stupidest features on this desk is the xlr stereo outs.... they are unbalanced. there is already a pair of 1/4" unbalanced jacks for the 2mix output; seeing xlr's is misleading.

routing is pretty straight forward. you can internally route the busses back to the 2mix via switches on the last 8 monitor channels. a nice little feature.

the talkback can't be sent to the aux sends (another stupid design oversight). only to the busses (slate) or 'studio' outs. eh, atleast there's a talkback, and it dims the the CR outs when pressed (nothing revolutionary, but it works).

i could go on and on, but i'll stop here. let me know if you want anymore info.
Old 26th June 2006
Gear maniac

hmm..... are there no other consoles? i'm thinking of buying a mackie 8bus first and use external eqs.... bad idea? (i think perhaps)

Thanks!

Volker
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vls
hmm..... are there no other consoles? i'm thinking of buying a mackie 8bus first and use external eqs.... bad idea? (i think perhaps)

Thanks!

Volker
Actually, I think most people that dis the Mackie 8 Buss, talks about the mix-buss as being the "weak link" in the Mackie. As is most of these " budget priced" mixers. ( My Tascam M-2600mkII included.. )
Old 27th June 2006
Gear maniac

Hi!

Ok, i don't want bad mix busses, so i removed them from the list:

tascam m600:
??
tascam m5000:
?? good ??
tascam m700:
??
tascam m320:
??
tascam m2500:
??
tascam m3700:
???
Soundcraft 6000:
???
Soundcraft Ghost:
wow ;-)
Soundtracs 4400:
??

Is there a tascam in the 3000€ range which is balanced, has no noise/grounding problems and a good mix bus / good eq's?

Volker
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear
As I forestated, the M-2600 mkII has decent eq, no grounding issues that I'm aware of, and the mix-buss is good if you don't overcrowed it! How soon are you needing to buy a console? I guess if you can wait awhile, you could wait for the Toft ATB console that may address all the issues you are trying to avoid..!...
Old 11th July 2006
Gear maniac

Hi!

How is the older Tascam M320 (sound quality, noise, eqs)? how much is a good price for one?

Volker
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

M600 - it´s a "real" console. Decent EQ, decent pre´s and quality faders.

M700 - see above, but add motor faders.

Ghost - seems a little more like a toy compared to the huge Tascam boards, but
it´s definetely a good mixer. You might be interested in the control section
that´s provided by the "Ghost Mute" version.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear interested

Exclamation Help

I'm really thinking about purchasing the Tascam M3500. When i heard about the unbalanced, Noise Problems i cringed..I want to use this for tracking and keep in mind i would use outboard pres..

I can get it for under 1 G from a friend is it still worth Purchasing?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

i use to have a 2600mkii for about 7 years. i use to love it. i sold it about 2 years ago on ebay for $1000.
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Just for the sake of searchable information...
Not all Tascam M3500's are unbalanced.
There is/was a balanced option.
The reason that most of them were unbalanced was to easily interface with the Tascam reel to reel multitracks.

Also, the grounding issue is mostly dependant on your studio's grounding situation.

The M3500 is easily upgradeable and isn't bad if you're looking for a lot of channels and routing for next to no money.

$0.02 deposited.
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

FYI to the original poster -
the 3700 is the exact same board as the 3500 but it has crappy/noisy vca automation.
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

See if you can find a Soundtracs console. Those kick freaking ass! Used to have a Topaz Project 8. Still kick myself for selling it.
Old 30th December 2008
Gear addict

i had use the m3700 for long time ( with fader automation )
nice mixer, eqs are ok

the entire -culture beat / serenity- album from 1993 ( incl. mr vain )
was mixed on this console ( mixed by t. fenslau )
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

I have a Tascam M2600 (original one, not the MKII) for sale CHEEP!

Its a 24 input. 3 channels are out. Ive used it for years that way with no change in specs (it took a power surge which killed the 3 channels). The dead channels are all on the same module, and Im told that it is totally restorable.

I really like the features. It is way better than a Mackie 8buss. I currently use a Ramsa DA7.
Old 31st December 2008
Gear nut

M700 all the way!

I do have a M3700.
I would vote for the M700 though.
Old 31st December 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I'd steer away from Tascam completely. Look at your budget and buy the best Soundcraft you can get. Tascam are rubbish.
Old 31st December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McInturff View Post
I have a Tascam M2600 (original one, not the MKII) for sale CHEEP!
Those are great boards, i just recapped mine and its super quiet, best studio board i have ever owned. However the m3500 is very noisy vs the 2600.
Old 26th May 2009
Gear interested

i have used the m 700 it is a great desk its got brilliant warm pres
id recomend it.
The m 600 is exactly the same in terms of pres eq the differences are:
less channels, vu meters instead of leds (I think VUs are cooler anyway =p), d-sub multipin connectors at the back and the m 700 is inline the m 600 is split.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search