New CAD M179 still a good mike?
New Reply
Subscribe
Bluzzi
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

New CAD M179 still a good mike?

I've been reading about the M179 and it seems like a good mike for the money (and I like those). I just need one or two mikes for toms (especially floor toms).

Some people seem to be putting down the newer versions of this model. Can anyone confirm that the quality is not what it was or if it is still same as always.

I find some at $130.00 and some at $200.00. Any recommended dealers? I 'm wary when prices are too low that maybe they are factory rejects etc.

Thanks

Cheers

Jim

"They are truly incredible. Thank you so much for this project. I am in love!"

For more info you can email me at: ez1084eq@proaudiokits.com
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

no it stopped being a good mic the moment you posted this
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Guru

I have several that I bought since 2003ish. They would be the new ones and they sound and work great (way better than a $200 list price would lead you to believe).

Way back when, the capsules were not made in china - and some people hate anything made in china....

Best place I know of to get them is from Warren at Zen Pro Audio. He's been selling them for rock-bottom prices for years.

-tINY

3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

I have one it's pretty nice never tried it on toms though cause I mostly do edm these days
4th August 2012
Old 4th August 2012
Gear Head

CAD M179s still good?

I don't know about the oldest ones, but the current ones are excellent -- I can't think of any comparably priced mic that offers the quality and versatility of an M179.

I also second the recommendation given to ZenPro. Warren is fast, helpful and very good at getting good service out of CAD. Oh, yes: what breaks on M179s is the handle of the cases for the mics ...

daivadisc
Bluzzi
4th August 2012
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks all for replies. Just what I needed in order to go ahead. I'll be checkin' out Zen Pro.

Cheers

Jim
4th August 2012
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daivadisc View Post
I can't think of any comparably priced mic that offers the quality and versatility of an M179.
...currently being offered as B-Stock directly from the manufacturer for $200 (originally $799), the Studio Projects CS5 is like the "M179 on steroids!"...better quality build and capsule, more variable settings, and superior, more versatile mount system...IMHO, nothing touches the CS5 at this price!

PMI Audio - B Stock - USA

CS5 - The Ultimate Studio Microphone

http://www.studioprojects.com/proaudioreview.html

4th August 2012
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
I swear by my M179s. Not sure if they're the newer ones, but I bought them about 2 years ago. They just sound phenomenal.

Guitar/Backline Tech and Mobile Recording services in the Los Angeles area!
Custom stompboxes and cabling for stage and studio.

Die-hard Phila Eagles fan!
4th August 2012
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...currently being offered as B-Stock directly from the manufacturer for $200 (originally $799), the Studio Projects CS5 is like the "M179 on steroids!"...better quality build and capsule, more variable settings, and superior, more versatile mount system...IMHO, nothing touches the CS5 at this price!

proaudio review

Oh hey kidvybes.

My internet is currently down and im on a tablet...so i wont do what i did before.

My three downsides for the CS5: brutally honest (but so is the CAD) and it's large. Probably not as great on toms as the CAD.

Typing on this sucks.
4th August 2012
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierkes View Post
Oh hey kidvybes.

My internet is currently down and im on a tablet...so i wont do what i did before.
...I'll do it for you...

...check this previous post for a beautiful vocal track recorded by Kierkes using the CS5 (try that with a CAD M179):
Which of these three are closer to a professional sound ?
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzzi View Post
I've been reading about the M179 and it seems like a good mike for the money (and I like those). I just need one or two mikes for toms (especially floor toms).

Some people seem to be putting down the newer versions of this model. Can anyone confirm that the quality is not what it was or if it is still same as always.

I find some at $130.00 and some at $200.00. Any recommended dealers? I 'm wary when prices are too low that maybe they are factory rejects etc.

Thanks

Cheers

Jim
Cad m179 is a very good mic . Good build and all around mic. Run with good pre and converter. Very nice. Couldn't believe it myself. Used on vox , acoustic, cab... Needs Eq but it's real good IMO ..especially for the money. Lots of options with polar patterns. I say yes
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:

Wow - swept away by the hype a bit?

Please explain how a mic can have more "variable settings" than infinitely variable from 8 to omni....

Not that the CS-5 is a bad mic. I'd expect it's well built and sounds good. But I don't see the superior mount. It looks good, though.

If I was hawking the CS-5, I'd be pointing at the multi-setting filters and pad. Perhaps the included foam windscreen (which the m179 does not include).

-tINY

6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post
Wow - swept away by the hype a bit?
...no hype, just my opinion based on actual ownership and usage of both mics, tINY...

Quote:
Please explain how a mic can have more "variable settings" than infinitely variable from 8 to omni....
...more "variable settings", as in 5 polar-patterns, 4 low-pass filters, 4 high-pass filters, and 4 pad settings...yes the CAD has continously variable polar-patterns (as if 5 weren't enough?), but only one pad and one high pass...

...I'm not saying that the M179 isn't a great value in a good utility mic (it is!), but, at the B-Stock pricing of $200, I am saying that the CS5 is built better and has a superior quality capsule (than the current Chinese supplied M179)...and the CS5's halo-mount system (which appears to be an updating of the original CAD E350's mount) is more adaptable to multiple mount configurations...it's a better mousetrap, plan and simple...I would add, if close drum micing is the priority, the M179 is probably the better choice, but if vocal tracking and overhead usage are serious considerations, IMHO, it's no contest...

btw, did you listen to Kierke's vocal track?...
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

I used 2 cad m179's behind a drum kit. 60 inches above floor 6 inches apart and about 110 degrees facing outward from each other. I tried my best to center the snare from each mic. I used cardoid mode. At first it sounded boomy but eventually I got a pretty nice thick and rich sound. I have not mixed those tracks in with other instruments yet but so far it's killer diller.... Impressive!
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
... the CS5 is built better and has a superior quality capsule (than the current Chinese supplied M179)...and the CS5's halo-mount system (which appears to be an updating of the original CAD E350's mount) is more adaptable to multiple mount configurations...it's a better mousetrap, plan and simple...

btw, did you listen to Kierke's vocal track?...

Actually, I'd be really suprised if the CS-1,5 capsules aren't made in china.

How does the halo work for LF isolation? It looks like a nice mount, but the isolation is important sometimes.

...and the track on the bottom of your link: Sounds like any decent mic at about 2 feet in a decent room would have worked for his voice. Strong, well trained singer there.

-tINY

7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
[FONT="comic sans ms"][COLOR="indigo"]
Actually, I'd be really suprised if the CS-1,5 capsules aren't made in china.
...of course they're made in China by 797Audio, but they are also subjected to much tighter tolerances than stock OEM Chinese capsules, so that any two CS mics will be within 1dB of each other for a matched pair...
Large-Diaphragm Microphone Capsules

Quote:
...and the track on the bottom of your link: Sounds like any decent mic at about 2 feet in a decent room would have worked for his voice. Strong, well trained singer there.
...tINY, next time you get a vocal track that sounds that good with an M179, please be sure to bring it to my attention...look, it seems like you doubt my evaluation of the CS5's value, and that's fine...I'm simply offering another option to the M179, that I believe is a higher quality product for a few bucks more...as always, YMMV...
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Gear Guru

You like it. It's probably a fine mic.

I just react to anything like hype in bad ways lately.... Maybe it's because it's election season.

And, actually, I'd probably throw up a PR-30 or an RE410 in front of a guy like that. Production and performance were good.

-tINY

7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just react to anything like hype in bad ways lately....
...OK, but why would my recommending a mic that had an original street price of $499 (MSRP of $799) over a mic that's always streets for $149 (list $399) strike you as "hype"?...

Quote:
And, actually, I'd probably throw up a PR-30 or an RE410 in front of a guy like that. Production and performance were good.
...fine, just don't tell me PR40...
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

You like it. It's probably a fine mic.

I just react to anything like hype in bad ways lately.... Maybe it's because it's election season.

-tINY

Hey, thanks! It was 1 ft in a crappy 12 x 12 bedroom into TASCAM 1641 pres. So there really wasn't any mojo going down the chain. Those two microphones are interesting, because his voice is like a pillow, great sounding, but very difficult to pull in front. And middy microphones didn't help when I tried them, oddly enough. I've never done either of those mics, although I almost bought the Heil once.

I love the CS5. You'll get no hype from me. Okay. Maybe a little. I love the CS5. However, I would have to point out that the mic is BIG, and the shockmount isn't quite as fantastic as I keep telling myself, although, I've read that the CAD shockmount does very little.
Bluzzi
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
...OK, but why would my recommending a mic that had an original street price of $499 (MSRP of $799) over a mic that's always streets for $149 (list $399) strike you as "hype"?...

...fine, just don't tell me PR40...
Because it wasn't the original question which was about the M179. I need them particularly for toms.

I don't mind someone offering another mike, I'm open enough but once was enough, no?

Let's stick with the M179 question (which was answered many times). I'll be getting a pair soon. It does not mean I will not look at a CS5 in the future but for now I only need a tom mike.

Cheers

Jim
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because it wasn't the original question which was about the M179. I need them particularly for toms.
...no worries...sorry for derailing...
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:

The one thing I really like about the m179/m177 for floor toms is the LF response. It really is flat and clean down to 20 Hz - spooky clean.

I guess it's the op-amps.... But I haven't tried the e60 on toms yet - they clain 30Hz on those, and at $100 with the beefy housing, they'd be a much better choice for Sound Reinforcement work if they sound good.

-tINY

bee
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:

proaudio review

Have you compared the Cad M179 to the Studio Pojects CS5 on toms?
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
Gear addict

Actually, I JUST recorded this and used a M179 one of the floor toms (the one that gets rolled on), and a ST77 on the other. The bottoms were mic'd with some other condensers (a Rode and EV, I think)

Yes, the clean response is amazing. The pad is also really handy when using it on drums.

http://soundcloud.com/studiobeats/also-sprach-z-50-license
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Gear interested

Return of the killer wasps

Well, I'm afraid I'm a lot less positive about the M179.

Based on all the raving reviews, I ordered one from Front End Audio. No CAD representative here in Holland, so I had to pay a lot extra for P&P, and taxes, to have it sent to me.

The mic arrived and it hummed like a swarm of angry wasps. Tried several good quality preamps / cables, but obviously it's the mic.

I contacted Front End Audio and they arranged very helpfully to have CAD send me a substitute. This one arrived today.

It hums a bit less than the previous one, and if you don't come near it (as soon as you touch it anywhere near the pattern-selector the wasps return) I guess it would be acceptable for SOME people, but not for me.

Apart from that, I don't like the sound. It may be O.K. for vocals, snare, toms perhaps, but for a classical guitar it sounds way too hyped. And then, there still is the hum.

This is just my opinion. Maybe I was very unlucky to get two bad microphones.
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Well I was about to get two M179 mikes but hearing this I'm holding off until it get's fixed.

Jim
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Jim
Exactly. I don't know how thing things jump off the rails so easily.

The 179's are EXCELLENT on toms. My #1 top choice. Until recently. You can hear them here on TOMS against all the usual suspects. Many are significantly more expensive "better" mics.

Drum Mic Madness!!!!

I love the 179's. Their off-axis coloration is very sweet sounding unlike the (argueably #1 tom mic - the 421.) However, I recently found a mic that I've owned for a long time that I never tried on toms that unseats the 179.

The octavamodded 219PE. Since I only have 2, I generally didn't think of them for toms (usually prepare for the drummer having at least 3). The 219's are super sweet though, equally pleasant on the off axis response and a bit larger sounding than the CAD's. In addition, they have somewhat of a "woody" character that I find attractive on drums. The 179's have a TINY, TINY bit more stick attack, but (for lack of a better term) they sound less organic than the 219's. I have not tried stock 219's on toms, but my guess is that the would at least be decent while saving up for getting them modded my M. Joly.

Myt $.02. Good luck with your search.

PS - all my comments were on "older" 4+ years 179's. Have not tried new ones and have no idea if they have changed at all or not.

PPS - I've used at least 10+ 179's and never found one that "hummed" even the slightest. My only complaint is the XLR connector is so damn tight. Maybe CAD is having them made in China now, and they are encountering QC problems????
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton Meister View Post
Well, I'm afraid I'm a lot less positive about the M179.

Based on all the raving reviews, I ordered one from Front End Audio. No CAD representative here in Holland, so I had to pay a lot extra for P&P, and taxes, to have it sent to me.

The mic arrived and it hummed like a swarm of angry wasps. Tried several good quality preamps / cables, but obviously it's the mic.

I contacted Front End Audio and they arranged very helpfully to have CAD send me a substitute. This one arrived today.

It hums a bit less than the previous one, and if you don't come near it (as soon as you touch it anywhere near the pattern-selector the wasps return) I guess it would be acceptable for SOME people, but not for me.

Apart from that, I don't like the sound. It may be O.K. for vocals, snare, toms perhaps, but for a classical guitar it sounds way too hyped. And then, there still is the hum.

This is just my opinion. Maybe I was very unlucky to get two bad microphones.
Strange. I've had two of these mics for years and never had any hum out of them. They are quiet enough sometimes I forget to mute/gate them before the instrument/voice starts even with a lot of expansion and comp.
Bluzzi
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Given that reports of the M179 QC not being great maybe Front End Audio should give their stock some QC.

I'd be willing to pay a bit extra to know that I'm buying a mike that will work properly.

Cheers

Jim
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Given that reports of the M179 QC not being great maybe Front End Audio should give their stock some QC.
I agree, especially with oversees customers. On the other hand, they took care of a replacement without any fuss or discussion. Unfortunately, that one, sent to me directly by CAD, was also a 'bad' one.

One more thing. Some time ago, there was an interesting mic shootout by Fran Guidry involving Schoeps CMC6 MK4, and CAD M179, amongst others. I heard the samples, and the CAD at the very least held its own against the Schoeps.

Now that I have tested the CAD myself, albeit a humming one, I can hardly imagine that it's the same mic as the one from the shootout. Maybe they changed something in the manufacturing?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search