Hey guys and gals,
I've been lurking for a little while both here and on /r/WeAreTheMusicMakers so fair warning, I am also requesting help there as well.
I am just getting into audio recording and production and am just putting together my first setup. I'd like to get your feedback on the gear that I am looking at in relation to what I am trying to do and the pieces that I already own.
I will be primarily starting with recording cover songs as at the moment I lack the skill to play any instrument well. I have a classical guitar and a keyboard that I am learning but, for the time being, please assume that I will not be recording instruments live for at least another 6 months. In addition to singing, I would also like to record hip hop / rap lyrics over some beats that I create in whatever DAW I end up choosing (more on that later). Lastly, I could potentially be using this setup to record some radio/podcasting but I would put that as a distant third to what this intended setup will be used for.
Gear I currently own:
1. Very solid desktop PC that should be powerful enough to process and run all needed software
2. Speedlink Medusa NX
headset - I use this for gaming and general computer use. Any reason why this wouldn't work as a recording headset?
3. B&W 685 speakers
- Currently hooked up to my home theater system but could double as monitors if needed - any issues here?
Items I see myself needing:
1. Microphone - Here is where I have been doing most of my research as of late. A lot of people seem to recommending the Rode NT1A
. I am thinking this is a little much for a beginner's microphone but it will be a gift so it has allowed me to spend a little more. One caveat to this: I have a Canon 7D
that I would be interested in having an external mic for. Does anyone know if this could serve as an external mic for recording via the 7D as well?
2. Audio Interface - There are two current models that I have seen recommended that I have initially selected:
a) Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
b) Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2 In/2 Out USB
These are both pretty close in price. Any recommendations between these two or something similar in this price range that would be even better? I've seen the M-Audio Fast Track around $120 but figured these had a slight edge.
3. I need a DAW - Again, I will primarily be trying to record cover songs (most genres for songs & hip hop / rap) as I start out but eventually hope to progress into creating my own beats/tracks as well as recording acoustic guitar and keyboard. I know from all of the research I've done that there is no easy answer here. Best recommendations I've seen are to demo each one and then choose the one I like the best but as a complete DAW noob, I would appreciate an intuitive interface for getting started. Top choices based on recommendations I've seen so far would be (no particular order):
a. Studio One v2
b. Ableton Live
Any input or recommendations here based off of where I'm starting out and what I hope to accomplish would be most welcome.
I really appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read this block of text and is willing to offer some help to this beginner!