Login / Register

shortening multicore for better sound quality - what do you think?
New Reply
Subscribe
attila
21st June 2006
Old 21st June 2006
Gear interested

shortening multicore for better sound quality - what do you think?

Hi there! I have a 30 meter 24/6 mulitcore in my studio. I actually only need a 10 meter cable. There is some little noise comming trough the cables, which is not so audible when i connect the mic directly into the board. Would I get better soundquality if i would shorten the cable down to 10 meters? whats do you think?

thanx - Attila
21st June 2006
Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear

uh... I wouldn't presume to speculate, because 30m and 10m is not a lot of info/variables, and I don't claim to be an expert. However, if you have 20m of cable just coiled up in the corner of your room, I'd say definitely shorten it. If for no other reason, simply because then you have 20m of cable for free. Hell, sell it on ebay or wire something else up with it. $.02 on my part...
21st June 2006
Old 21st June 2006
Gear addict

further more the cable resistence is lowered and you have less high freq loss, 30 meters is a lot!, and if possible try not to coil up the cable in a dark corner somehwre cause it will become a coil then, always try to stretch the cable in full lenght!
21st June 2006
Old 21st June 2006

balanced cable?

what kind of noise?

what kind of mic?

narco
attila
22nd June 2006
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear interested

Ok thanx everybody for your comments. Looks like I gonna shorten the bastard :-)

a) It does not look stupid to have to much cable wind up in the corner
b) I probably can sell it on ebay
c) maybee it will improve my sound

Narco, the cable should be balanced i think. I don't have many information on the mulitcore but here is the one I've got:

http://www.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_mc246.htm

I am using many mics but the noise is actually only a problem when I record spoken words with a condenser mic. I am using a Rode NT2000 therefor. There you can often hear it between the words... The noise has a sheme and is not just a simple hissing. it has some subtile clicking noise with it that is allways clicking the same way and seems not to be random.

Attila
22nd June 2006
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

sure shorten it to use the rest of the cable or sell it but assuming its a decent quality cable and everything is balanced its not going to improve your sound in any significant way.

if your ever woried about a coild then roll your cable in a figure of 8 but mic signals are to low power to be of a consern anyway. 3 phase power is another issue.
22nd June 2006
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Hi
Shorten it as you are adding extra capacitance which will cut the highs, (probably not a lot).
Also perhaps more important a coil will encourage it to pick up hum wherever it is. Coiling it 'figure of 8' would help or wind half one way then half the other, stacked on top of itself.
It may or may not help with your noise pickup although you could simulate it by using a single 30M mic cable and route it EXACTLY as the multicore.
Best of luck
Matt S
30th June 2006
Old 30th June 2006
Gear interested

hell yes i am done. the multicore is after like 7 hours hard work 20 meters shorter... in deed there is less noise on the chanells and no coiled up cable mess anymore. I think it was woth it. but definitely not a easy job.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search