Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 vs Presonus AudioBox
Rustam
27th July 2012
Old 27th July 2012
Gear interested

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 vs Presonus AudioBox

They are same price. Which you are advise? Scarlett preamps or Presonus preamps? Scarlett DAC vs Presonus DAC? Some says Focusrite Preamps are more good, some says Presonus. Whic is true?
27th July 2012
Old 27th July 2012
Gear interested

I haven't used the presonus, but I was very happy with my 2i2 (I moved up to the 8i6). I have heard good sounds from people who've recorded with the presonus.

The 2i2 comes with the scarlett plugin suite which is pretty killer.
Rustam
27th July 2012
Old 27th July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholetthehousego View Post
I haven't used the presonus, but I was very happy with my 2i2 (I moved up to the 8i6). I have heard good sounds from people who've recorded with the presonus.

The 2i2 comes with the scarlett plugin suite which is pretty killer.
Thank you foru answer. 2i2 is pretty looks. But sounds prettty to i heard. But havent compare with AudioBox. I need something about comparison. Which are good sounding?
27th July 2012
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear

Not meaning to minimise the choice, but IME there is not a huge difference in quality between the various prosumer boxes. Roland, Presonus, Focusrite, M-Audio etc all sound clean, but the extra sparkle and power don't really seem to arrive until you hit the RME level and above.

It could come down to the bundled software as manufactureres team up with different people. I know Presonus do bundles with their Studio 1 which is a great DAW.
28th July 2012
Old 28th July 2012
Gear addict

I love my Scarlett 2i2, EXCEPT.... the headphone output is too damn quiet. The preamps rule, though. And you get a LOT of gain with them. Maybe I should try different headphones.
Rustam
28th July 2012
Old 28th July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
I love my Scarlett 2i2, EXCEPT.... the headphone output is too damn quiet. The preamps rule, though. And you get a LOT of gain with them. Maybe I should try different headphones.
With HD 280 its quiet?
28th July 2012
Old 28th July 2012
Gear Head

I have the Presonus Audiobox (actually I bought it back when it was called the Firebox), and I have always loved it. It came with Cubase LE which was great at the time because I was still a PC user. Switching to Mac/Logic, the interface has been even better. It gets along extremely well with Mac (excluding recently with my Lion update, but as i understand it, it's a 32/64 bit problem). I was surprised the first time I connected it that I didn't have to hunt down drivers, it's all plug-and-play.

Anyway, there are a couple minor concerns I've had over the years with it. The volume pot for the monitors used to crackle and pop when I turned my monitors on after not using them for a while. These weren't just little pops, I mean they were shotgun sounds that could wake the neighbors. I'm surprised my monitors weren't damaged. Someone from a different forum suggested it was a dirty pot. Now, before turning on the monitors, I spin the knob back and forth a few times and it does the trick. Sounds like a static electricity issue or something like that to me, but who knows?

Second, I really wish the preamps were a little bit louder. They're great for DI instruments, but when micing vocals, I usually have to max out the sensitivity. There is a way to go into the settings and check a box that will give a +6 dB boost, but I haven't really tested this out yet (I've always just used some form of gain plugin if needed).

Other than that, I think it's a solid product. I'm really not used to buying electronics and having them work like a charm all these years later, so this thing has served me well.

On the other hand, the 2i2 looks pretty awesome! I haven't heard it yet, but the people at Computer Music magazine praised its preamps and said that for the price you could not go wrong.
Rustam
29th July 2012
Old 29th July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretsforlife View Post
I have the Presonus Audiobox (actually I bought it back when it was called the Firebox), and I have always loved it. It came with Cubase LE which was great at the time because I was still a PC user. Switching to Mac/Logic, the interface has been even better. It gets along extremely well with Mac (excluding recently with my Lion update, but as i understand it, it's a 32/64 bit problem). I was surprised the first time I connected it that I didn't have to hunt down drivers, it's all plug-and-play.

Anyway, there are a couple minor concerns I've had over the years with it. The volume pot for the monitors used to crackle and pop when I turned my monitors on after not using them for a while. These weren't just little pops, I mean they were shotgun sounds that could wake the neighbors. I'm surprised my monitors weren't damaged. Someone from a different forum suggested it was a dirty pot. Now, before turning on the monitors, I spin the knob back and forth a few times and it does the trick. Sounds like a static electricity issue or something like that to me, but who knows?

Second, I really wish the preamps were a little bit louder. They're great for DI instruments, but when micing vocals, I usually have to max out the sensitivity. There is a way to go into the settings and check a box that will give a +6 dB boost, but I haven't really tested this out yet (I've always just used some form of gain plugin if needed).

Other than that, I think it's a solid product. I'm really not used to buying electronics and having them work like a charm all these years later, so this thing has served me well.

On the other hand, the 2i2 looks pretty awesome! I haven't heard it yet, but the people at Computer Music magazine praised its preamps and said that for the price you could not go wrong.
Thank you.
25th August 2012
Old 25th August 2012
Gear interested

Hey guys, those of you with the Scarlett 2i2, could you please check if it supports multi-client playback? Basically fire up a DAW and also try to play back a youtube clip or something from WMP. Would be great if this would work on W7 64-bit. Thanks!
25th August 2012
Old 25th August 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
Hey guys, those of you with the Scarlett 2i2, could you please check if it supports multi-client playback? Basically fire up a DAW and also try to play back a youtube clip or something from WMP. Would be great if this would work on W7 64-bit. Thanks!

That will depend on whether you have set up your audio interface to allow exclusive locking or not in win7. Its not specific to a particular brand of hardware.

P.S. AudioBox 44VSL user, here.
26th August 2012
Old 26th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLilley View Post
That will depend on whether you have set up your audio interface to allow exclusive locking or not in win7. Its not specific to a particular brand of hardware.

P.S. AudioBox 44VSL user, here.
Are you sure that's the case? My impression was, once you fire up your DAW, the ASIO drivers kick in, bypassing any Windows settings, which only control the WDM drivers for the device. From what I've read elsewhere, the general consensus is that it's up to the manufacturer to implement this correctly in the ASIO drivers. However, on the ASIO4ALL forum, I've read that it's the actual hardware that has to be compatible (not sure about this one, maybe it's just an excuse for them not to implement it in their drivers).

Either way, anyone with a Scarlett 2i2 and Windows 7, could you please confirm?
26th August 2012
Old 26th August 2012
Gear interested

Scarlett 2i2 user here. I regularly have Sonar X1/FL Studio 10 open while checking YouTube videos to sample and playback doesn't stop for either the DAW's or the web browser. Same applies for any audio file I might have playing; I can play tracks in the DAW, on YT and have VLC playing all at once. I've seen a few people on GS mention driver issues; I've yet to experience any on my Windows 7 Home 64-bit system. I love this interface, it does everything I need it to do and regularly come out with better vocal recordings then my friends who use the M-Audio or Tascam equivalents. Here's a sampling of a vocal recording I did using the 2i2 and Sonar X1; for mixing, all I used was Sonar's VX-64 vocal strip:

FiL.dUbz- Hope Love Peace - YouTube

Since purchasing the 2i2, I've been very pleased with my recordings and productions.

Edit: I useda Shure PG-27 microphone in this example.

Last edited by FiL.dUbz; 26th August 2012 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Add in mic info.
26th August 2012
Old 26th August 2012
Gear interested

FiL.dUbz, thanks for your input, much appreciated!
26th August 2012
Old 26th August 2012
Gear interested

No doubt G. The next time I upgrade, it'll have to be a mic + interface affair because I don't see any work I need to get recorded that the 2i2 can't handle.
26th August 2012
Old 26th August 2012
Gear interested

I have the 2i2 and recently was trying to figure out the same thing.

Chrislilley is correct. It has to do with how you have it set up in Windows.

If you right-click on the sound icon on your taskbar, you can click on "playback or recording devices". It will show you the "line out/2i2" device. Right click on that abd go to "properties". Go to the "advanced" tab. Under "exclusive mode" check or uncheck the button that says "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device."

If it is unchecked, you are free to use mulitple. If it is checked, it will probably give you some sort of error message if you try to watch Youtube videos while recording, for example.

I've read multiple suggestions for tweeking/optimizing your software for latency, etc that claim you SHOULD check that option when recording for best results. But that will obviously limit you to just using your DAW.

Hope this helps!
Rustam
26th August 2012
Old 26th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by garpo3000 View Post

If you right-click on the sound icon on your taskbar, you can click on "playback or recording devices". It will show you the "line out/2i2" device. Right click on that abd go to "properties". Go to the "advanced" tab. Under "exclusive mode" check or uncheck the button that says "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device."

If it is unchecked, you are free to use mulitple. If it is checked, it will probably give you some sort of error message if you try to watch Youtube videos while recording, for example.

I've read multiple suggestions for tweeking/optimizing your software for latency, etc that claim you SHOULD check that option when recording for best results. But that will obviously limit you to just using your DAW.

Hope this helps!
You use headphone output this? Which headphone? And is headphone output is little? I want to buy it....
26th August 2012
Old 26th August 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Are you sure that's the case? My impression was, once you fire up your DAW, the ASIO drivers kick in, bypassing any Windows settings, which only control the WDM drivers for the device.
I beleive so; here is why. I have exclusive mode enabled, and if I fire up my DAW (Studio One 2) then if I start up other applications (web browser, music player, etc) they are muted. Similarly of I start up my music player (FooBar 2000, using ASIO) first then it is the only application that can play audio.

If I disable it then multiple applications can play audio concurrently.

Quote:
However, on the ASIO4ALL forum, I've read that it's the actual hardware that has to be compatible (not sure about this one, maybe it's just an excuse for them not to implement it in their drivers).
I'm using the Presonus drivers, if that makes a difference.
26th August 2012
Old 26th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustam View Post
You use headphone output this? Which headphone? And is headphone output is little? I want to buy it....
The headphone output should be more than sufficient for most listeners. The highest the knob goes is about the threshold of what I would consider too loud anyway. So yeah, it cuts off a little earlier than one would think (that's why people complain about it) but I rarely listen louder than that anyway.

I have the output of my 2i2 hooked up to a mixer with a separate headphone output (because other audio sources i.e. turntables are also routed through it) so I usually just use that. Gives me a little more amplification if necessary, but I could get buy with just the 2i2.

If you enjoy being deaf, then sure, the 2i2 might not have enough amplication for you.
26th August 2012
Old 26th August 2012
Gear interested

And I don't know why people complain about the drivers. I have Win7 x64 and it worked on first try.

What was a pain was the Focusrite Plug-in Suite. Really confusing to load and the registration process was completely counterintuitive.
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:

Hope this helps!
When I fire up Sonar X1 and the ASIO icon appears at the bottom right, it shows 24/96 so I doubt it's degrading any sound quality.
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiL.dUbz View Post
When I fire up Sonar X1 and the ASIO icon appears at the bottom right, it shows 24/96 so I doubt it's degrading any sound quality.
I think it has more to do with latency and machine performance.
Rustam
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
The headphone output should be more than sufficient for most listeners. The highest the knob goes is about the threshold of what I would consider too loud anyway. So yeah, it cuts off a little earlier than one would think (that's why people complain about it) but I rarely listen louder than that anyway.

I have the output of my 2i2 hooked up to a mixer with a separate headphone output (because other audio sources i.e. turntables are also routed through it) so I usually just use that. Gives me a little more amplification if necessary, but I could get buy with just the 2i2.

If you enjoy being deaf, then sure, the 2i2 might not have enough amplication for you.
I don want to be deaf . I want enough sound to mix music. I am not listener. I wanna go musician.
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

For purely preamps Id go with Focusrite any day
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Gear nut

I bought a Presonus VSL4 and retunrned it because the software kept crashing and Presonus help desk couldn't fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 2
28th August 2012
Old 28th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLilley View Post
I beleive so; here is why. I have exclusive mode enabled, and if I fire up my DAW (Studio One 2) then if I start up other applications (web browser, music player, etc) they are muted. Similarly of I start up my music player (FooBar 2000, using ASIO) first then it is the only application that can play audio.

If I disable it then multiple applications can play audio concurrently.
well I'll be.. I guess you're right, thank's for trying that out.

I'll be joining the 2i2 camp soon, need a small portable interface for my laptop, mostly headphone listening and occasionally a guitar direct in, and this little unit seems to be the just the ticket..

Checking the Focusrite website, they just recently put out new drivers for their firewire Saffire range, and those devices are ancient by PC hardware terms. Makes me feel safe these units will be supported well for the foreseeable future.
28th August 2012
Old 28th August 2012
Gear interested

I own a Foccusrite 2i2 and my flatmate owns an Audiobox VSL 22 so i have used both a lot and can compare them.

IMO preamps are quite the same... Maybe I like a little bit more the Foccusrite ones but they are not very different.

The latency is way better in the Foccusrite. I haven't had probems with it with ASIO4ALL and i can get down to 2,66ms in latency which is ridiculous. The Audiobox is more like a pain when talking about latency. I can not set the ASIO buffer less than 256, and get a latency about 10ms (although my DAW says it's around 25ms).

The headphone output is higher in the Audiobox,but i haven't had problems with the output in the Foccusrite.

My only concern with the Foccusrite is that gain knobs cannot attenuate input signals. For some signals or microphones with hot outputs clip into the foccusrite even the gain knob is set to its minimum. In the Audiobox I haven't had this problem, as the gain knob can attenuate hot inputs. So prepare some external attenuators if you want to use the Foccusrite.

I hope it helps.
Rustam
28th August 2012
Old 28th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrett View Post
I own a Foccusrite 2i2 and my flatmate owns an Audiobox VSL 22 so i have used both a lot and can compare them.

IMO preamps are quite the same... Maybe I like a little bit more the Foccusrite ones but they are not very different.

The latency is way better in the Foccusrite. I haven't had probems with it with ASIO4ALL and i can get down to 2,66ms in latency which is ridiculous. The Audiobox is more like a pain when talking about latency. I can not set the ASIO buffer less than 256, and get a latency about 10ms (although my DAW says it's around 25ms).

The headphone output is higher in the Audiobox,but i haven't had problems with the output in the Foccusrite.

My only concern with the Foccusrite is that gain knobs cannot attenuate input signals. For some signals or microphones with hot outputs clip into the foccusrite even the gain knob is set to its minimum. In the Audiobox I haven't had this problem, as the gain knob can attenuate hot inputs. So prepare some external attenuators if you want to use the Foccusrite.

I hope it helps.
With which headphone you use in 2i2?
28th August 2012
Old 28th August 2012
Gear interested

Rustam
28th August 2012
Old 28th August 2012
Gear interested

29th August 2012
Old 29th August 2012
Gear interested

I don't understand what you mean, but i hear my headphones loud enough with 2i2.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search