Login / Register

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 vs Presonus AudioBox
New Reply
Subscribe
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear interested

I actually had the audiobox usb and after I purchased the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 I gladly sold the audiobox usb. The Focusite Scarlett 2i2 by far is better. Here are my reasons. First I took a Shure SM7B into the Audiobox and had to turn the gain knob all the way and could not believe that I was hearing so much static, that I could not record with it. Any other microphone does seem to work ok as long as the gain isnt over 75R% The preamps on the Audiobox are noisy and do have a ton of static if turned up to 75% or more. Second and the major deal breaker for me, is that I could not run a line in signal into the audiobox. I needed a tube sound for a vocal track so I connected a mic to a Presonus Tube Pre then Out to the Audiobox usb and it was a pain trying to get the levels right. I could not turn the gain on the audiobox more than 25% or it would clip. The sound from the audiobox made the tubepre sound horrible, muddy, and messy. Now to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I did not expect the Focusrite to be able to power the Shure SM7B as the audiobox could not do it cleanly, but
Wow! I was amazed. I did have to turn the gain up to about 75-80 but it was super clean and the mic sounded amazing. I even turned up the gain all the way and of course it sounded louder but super clean and clear. I then connected the microphone into a Presonus BlueTube then into the Focusrite and bam! simply amazing. I turned the gain on the Presonus BlueTube to about 65% then turned up the gain on the focusrite to about 30%-35% and it sounded awesome, Clear and Warm. The tube sound was amazing on the vocals. I even love the fact that the led rings around the gain knobs, flash red when its peaking letting you dial it down just enough to get the proper signal. The Audiobox had a small circle led light that was harder to see. The focusrite preamps can handle line in signals properly, just make sure the line in signal is carried thru a trs cable. If you insert an xlr cable it will assume its a mic signal and not work properly. Lastly, the Focusrite comes with a plugin suite that actually works pretty good. The eq and reverb plugins I actually use and love. Simple and easy to use. The compressor, limiter, and gate, I do not use that much as I am more confortable using the compressor, limiter and gate that come with my daw. That is not to say that they are not good, there actually pretty solid and wil get the job done. To all, this is just my two cents, this is just my opinion, but there is no competition get the Focusrite.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear addict

I hear a lot of people complain about the headphone level on the 2i2. Mine is PLENTY loud turned up to 12 o clock let along 5 o clock. Maybe they updated them recently?
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
I hear a lot of people complain about the headphone level on the 2i2. Mine is PLENTY loud turned up to 12 o clock let along 5 o clock. Maybe they updated them recently?
Same here, 'bought it a few months ago on ebay.
I've tested with normal impedance (40 to 60ohms) headphones, though, not any of those with high impedance.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Head

Headphone Impedance

Headphone Impedance can range from 32 ohm to 600 ohm, so I think it's actually very important what the headphone amps built into these units are able to push.

I found this thread searching Google for that exact point, and it will be a deciding factor in what I purchase.
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Gear interested

software betterr DAW?

hey, i'm looking into getting either preamp in a bundle deal
which preamp comes with the better DAW?
presonus' studio one artist software? or focusrite's Cubase 6 LE Production Software?

I'm planning on using this with an electric guitar with vocals. I do not mind buying a direct box before plugging my guitar into the 2i2
- I'd like to have plenty of effects
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Gear nut

The Studio One software is great, I'm planning on buying the producer upgrade asap. That said, I've heard great things about Cubase as well. Now as for the hardware...I have not used a single piece of Presonus hardware that I've been happy with and am slowly replacing each piece of it as I go. I'm going to give this Focusrite interface a shot.
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

For those still looking, have a look at Steinberg UR22. IMO beats focusrite and presonus on pre's.
6th October 2013
Old 6th October 2013
Gear interested

focus = PT 9 MAc

does the focusrite work with PT 9 on a mac? thanks y'all.
20th December 2013
Old 20th December 2013
Gear interested

How are the opinions on the Steinberg UR22 versus the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

And do they both have multi-client support? I believe the 2i2 had.. and some Steinbergs one have
22nd December 2013
Old 22nd December 2013
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Good information on this thread. I'm trying to decide between one or the other right now.
23rd December 2013
Old 23rd December 2013
Gear interested

I noticed that the main volume effects the headphone volume.

Could this explain the problem some folks have with headphone volume on the Scarlett devices?

But on topic I love my 18i20. I use Reaper which is cheap and great.
5th January 2014
Old 5th January 2014
Gear nut

I, actually, made a thread about this. THE FOCUSRITE ANYTHING IS WAY BETTER THAN THE PRESONUS ANYTHING.

I'm sorry for yelling.

Get the Focusrite.
5th January 2014
Old 5th January 2014
Gear interested

I own both the 2i2 and 2i4. The two seem to sound the same, that is, there's equally good preamps. The 2i2, however, can directly monitor the mic input signal only in mono, the 2i4 in stereo. Also, the 2i4 has a 10 db pad, useful if you want to move the mic around without changing preamp gain settings. But when you buy it, turn up the gain full blast in a quiet room and listen for popping sounds; the first 2i2 I tried had such a bug, so I had to exchange it for another.
6th February 2014
Old 6th February 2014
Gear interested

Which for preamp'd acoustic guitars?

Hi all,
searching for a USB interface to record my acoustic guitars parts at home in overdub to a reference track, I eventually restricted to audiobox 22 or scarlett 2i2.

Surfing the net you can read everything and its contrary, therefore I am asking if there is any experience or advice re the usage of these interfaces with preamp'd acoustic guitars, to help me landing on one of the two.

Some element:

I intend to record only one guitar at a time, not interested in multitrack nor synth, midi and stuff.
Rather budget and portability conscious.
All the gear I intend to use has preamp'd pickups.
First choice for the PC is for a Win XP SP3 Netbook I use already to set-up multieffect pedals and for Audacity, 2 GB RAM _but_ with a stupendous 320GB 7200RPM internal HDD
Not excluded the use of a (perhaps passive) DI box

My relevant requirements are mainly related to rich sound of steel strings acoustic guitars:
- no level / clipping problems (all the guitar pres I have feature volume knob)
- low latency and noise, excellent frequency response, dynamics, clean sound

My concern is about the performance with line or instrument input, in my - may I say - borderline level situation.

PS: I am aware that Audiobox 22 discourages plugging in "active" instruments, therefore this should be addressed if for other reasons Audiobox is a better choice.

Thank you for the help,

Acoustic Guitar Player for the Chaparats Rock Band

http://www.chaparats.com
Chaparats Rock Band on Facebook, BandPage, ReverbNation
7th February 2014
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepin View Post
Hi all,
searching for a USB interface to record my acoustic guitars parts at home in overdub to a reference track, I eventually restricted to audiobox 22 or scarlett 2i2.

Surfing the net you can read everything and its contrary, therefore I am asking if there is any experience or advice re the usage of these interfaces with preamp'd acoustic guitars, to help me landing on one of the two.

Some element:

I intend to record only one guitar at a time, not interested in multitrack nor synth, midi and stuff.
Rather budget and portability conscious.
All the gear I intend to use has preamp'd pickups.
First choice for the PC is for a Win XP SP3 Netbook I use already to set-up multieffect pedals and for Audacity, 2 GB RAM _but_ with a stupendous 320GB 7200RPM internal HDD
Not excluded the use of a (perhaps passive) DI box

My relevant requirements are mainly related to rich sound of steel strings acoustic guitars:
- no level / clipping problems (all the guitar pres I have feature volume knob)
- low latency and noise, excellent frequency response, dynamics, clean sound

My concern is about the performance with line or instrument input, in my - may I say - borderline level situation.

PS: I am aware that Audiobox 22 discourages plugging in "active" instruments, therefore this should be addressed if for other reasons Audiobox is a better choice.

Thank you for the help,
The 2i2 serves this type of application just fine. Your guitar preamp probably has a balanced Line Out which the 2i2 will handle. To my ears DAC on the 2i2 is very nice. For instance, I have an acoustic guitar with electronics and the guitar has an xlr output. I use an xlr - TS cable that feeds a nice quiet signal to my 2i2. For all other mic'ing app's the 2i2 is a champ as well and I've really enjoyed mine for more than a year trouble-free.
7th February 2014
Old 7th February 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
The 2i2 serves this type of application just fine. Your guitar preamp probably has a balanced Line Out which the 2i2 will handle. To my ears DAC on the 2i2 is very nice. For instance, I have an acoustic guitar with electronics and the guitar has an xlr output. I use an xlr - TS cable that feeds a nice quiet signal to my 2i2. For all other mic'ing app's the 2i2 is a champ as well and I've really enjoyed mine for more than a year trouble-free.
@TurboJets: thanks!

I think I definitely go with 2i2.

My guitars don't have a balanced ouptut and I enter the mixer through the line input. For example my Taylor 814CE ("the Queen") has an internal Fishman Blender with TS plug at the strap button.

So, before deciding to include other options eg DI Box I want to have the thing up and running, and take some confidence.

thks again,
7th February 2014
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepin View Post
@TurboJets: thanks!

I think I definitely go with 2i2.

My guitars don't have a balanced ouptut and I enter the mixer through the line input. For example my Taylor 814CE ("the Queen") has an internal Fishman Blender with TS plug at the strap button.

So, before deciding to include other options eg DI Box I want to have the thing up and running, and take some confidence.

thks again,
You can still run that TS plug into the 2i2 with no problem. Start with your preamp at a decent level and the input gain of the 2i2 at 0, then work with the gain on the 2i2 until you get good levels in your DAW.

I mic my ac guitars usually but I can say the 2i2's DAC makes for some really nice ac guitar tracks. Smooth, clean, just a smidgen of flattering silk on the high end.
7th February 2014
Old 7th February 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by classical View Post
I own both the 2i2 and 2i4. The two seem to sound the same, that is, there's equally good preamps. The 2i2, however, can directly monitor the mic input signal only in mono, the 2i4 in stereo. Also, the 2i4 has a 10 db pad, useful if you want to move the mic around without changing preamp gain settings.
I also own the 2i4; if you're willing to go a little bigger than the 2i2 in chassis size, this thing has a lot of nice-to-haves that make it preferable to the 2i2 for a home studio (which is why I chose it; it'll rarely venture outside my recording space at home). The smaller size of the 2i2 makes it better for mobile recording if you're willing to deal with a more utilitarian feature set; the 2i4 is significantly bigger.

The extras of the 2i4 include:

* Better monitoring control. You get a blend knob allowing you to set any mix of the direct inputs and the monitoring playback that you want, replacing the function of the direct monitoring switch on the 2i2. That switch on the 2i4 is now a mono/stereo switch, allowing you to treat the two inputs as one stereo source (i.e. an XY or spaced pair), panned hard left hard right in the cans, or as two individual sources (i.e. vocals and guitar), giving you a mono sum of the two.

* Pad switches. As classical mentioned, the 2i4 has independent 10dB pads, useful for everything pads are typically useful for: taming a hot mic or line-in, swapping instruments with less gain fiddling, moving mics from close to ambient positioning, etc etc.

* MIDI I/O. You don't need a separate MIDI adapter; this will give you the ins and outs to plug in a MIDI source (and with a MIDI-Thru device, several).

* Four fixed-volume outputs, with a switch to select a pair to monitor at variable volume in the cans and through your reference monitors. The idea at Focusrite was to make this interface work for a digital DJ, to plug stereo tracks 1 and 2 from his DJ software into a traditional mixer, running his cans from the interface. These outputs are useful in myriad other ways as well; use the fixed-level RCA outputs to feed a calibrated set of 4.1 reference monitors for final mixdown/mastering of film audio. Feed outputs 3 and 4 a different mix of tracks from the DAW to a personal monitor/headphone amp like a Rolls PM55, giving a second person their own monitor mix (they won't hear your direct input though). Or ignore them completely, and just use the TRS jacks to feed a stereo pair of reference monitors with volume control at your fingertips, as with the 2i2.
17th February 2014
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Head

Send a message via Skype™ to Cristian Tirado
scarlett is where prosumer switch to pro.
20th February 2014
Old 20th February 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrett View Post
I don't understand what you mean, but i hear my headphones loud enough with 2i2.
I find the volume fine for everything aside from the mic. I don't know why but it is really quiet and I always need to turn it up very close to clipping just to get it not quite there.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search