Getting rid of earworms
Old 28th June 2012
For me it was the song : Hush,Deep Purple did a cover of it before Ian Gillan joined,and an Aussie named Russell Morris also........didn't help the tinnitus though.

RK
Old 28th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
didn't help the tinnitus though
I suspect there is an important relation between earworms and tinnitus. Neither phenomenon appears to be understood at all, as of yet. As far as doctors and scientists can tell, there doesn't appear to be any physical evidence that tinnitus even exists...it's like a phantom sound that somehow causes extreme physical pain to the afflicted.

Yes, it is very real...I'm just saying they have no idea why it hurts or where it comes from. We know what can bring it on, but we don't know what "it" is.
Old 28th June 2012
Gear addict

isn't there a mode where you can set your DAW to rewind and it actually takes a little bit of time?

those few seconds can help you stay sane.

if you're working in a home studio, go out for a walk. a "fake commute", back to real world.

never knew they were called earworms, but yeah, i get them. and it sucks when you've been mixing all day and the song is stuck in your head. On the other hand, sometimes they pop in out of nowhere and that is how I come up with songs!
Old 29th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
I suspect there is an important relation between earworms and tinnitus. Neither phenomenon appears to be understood at all, as of yet. As far as doctors and scientists can tell, there doesn't appear to be any physical evidence that tinnitus even exists...it's like a phantom sound that somehow causes extreme physical pain to the afflicted.

Yes, it is very real...I'm just saying they have no idea why it hurts or where it comes from. We know what can bring it on, but we don't know what "it" is.
It,or mine doesn't hurt[tinnitus],and yes it's very real,it's the nerve impulses from the ear to the brain vibrating,as the tiny hairs[deep within the ear canal],are pushed flat[which is a warning that your'e being exposed to too much noise]there is definitely medical science that proves it[here in Australia]certainly does exist.

It is the NOISE,that drives you bat shit,its the SAME hissing shhhhhhhhh noise you get after a super loud gig/rehearsal,but instead of a day[when it would always go away] or so[mine was up to 4 days]then without warning,the next time It IS PERMANENT!,utterly NON-STOP ringing,it is also very well documented,so to say that science and doctors don't know,or are unable to prove it,is seriously ignorant.

It is very simple,many people who have worked in heavy industry/factories with extremely loud continuous noise can be affected,also it doesn't get "brought on" as you say,it happens,as a result of extreme exposure,it is PERMANENT,it is utterly non stop,mine has not ceased since October 23 1993.

Apparently some people hear banging noises[usually the ones from heavy industry]and all ranges of tones,but mine is a continuous hiss/crash cymbal noise without the initial percussive hit.

RK
Old 29th June 2012
Gear maniac

I stopped drinking several years ago, once I realised that I'd been celebrating my 18th birthday for thirty years. It wasn't easy, but after about a year I felt remarkably better, I wrote better stuff and I no longer woke up with those FREAKING HEADACHES.

I find the sound of a fan quite soothing, else I'll listen to Coast to Coast AM and just leave it on all night, but quite honestly, the earworm doesn't completely leave until I get that damn song recorded to my satisfaction. I guess it's true what I've always heard:

"You don't have to live like a referee."
Old 29th June 2012
Fortunately,I don't suffer from the "earworms" scenario/condition,to a point where it has ever been a problem,as due to the tinnitus Iv'e already got too much to listen to,but I could imagine where,an incessant tune or repetative recollection of music,one has been working hard on,does become insane.

Drinking is something I sort of gave up slowly,as it gave me depression,or exacerbated,my already known depression,and I also found the low quality of alchohol,as a CNS[central nervous system]depressant,very un-inviting,after I indulged heavily in stronger versions to deal with the tinnitus,which has led to now,where I get my bits of paper,and visit the pharmacy.

I can't even drink one beer now,without feeling sick,but other medicines,I have dreams of vaults packed with the stuff,just in case I need it.

I'm actually pretty used to the super loud "ringing" sound,after all these years,and it is getting louder,but as I've said before,it[my life] could be a lot worse,it was the first few months-years,that are easily the worst with tinnitus,as you just can't believe it will NOT stop,and it drives most pretty crazy in it's early permanence,but I'm kind of used to it now,and there is nothing to be done[as it involves a constantly stimulated/damaged- "Auditory Nerve" between the ear,and to the brain]you HAVE to just get along with it.....with a little[necessarry] help.

RK
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

Could be the manic stage of bipolar disorder. Can you see a doctor for a definitive diagnosis?
Old 29th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Could be the manic stage of bipolar disorder. Can you see a doctor for a definitive diagnosis?
You are referring to the OP,I take it?,as I myself have been through the doctor after doctor scenario for my little things.

RK
Old 30th June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
I can't be the only one here...Earworm is a constant state of being, for me. Something is always playing, and playing loudly. I have learned how to work the knobs a bit---I can change the song, and I can even morph it into a new one (in fact, I think it's the very force that allows me to write songs)--but there is always something playing up there.

If you can't get the whale out of your pool, might as well ride the bastard.
I have earworms (just learned it's a real thing with a name!!! I thought I was special.... ) and tinnitus at the same time all the time. Rarely speech, rarely even instruments - just tonal melodies. I eventually became able to "change the channel" and sometimes I'm rocking out at the dinner table and my wife's looking at me like I'm crazy (I can sometimes hear distant sounds other people can't hear, and occasionally dog whistles, so like spider man with tinnitus. And earwigs...er...worms...)

HONESTLY the best thing I've found to get to sleep? Trance music (seems to go against the worms, right?). If you like that music or not. Last time I couldn't find my headphones, I just used my android and got a free techno app and made a basic techno beat and looped it for a few minutes. Metronome might work, but I somehow doubt it. The techno loop works though. Better than those "ocean sounds" sleep timer alarm clocks.....

The Techno Keeps You Up, The Techno Puts You Down.

(those are the lyrics I just wrote for my new techno song. That I haven't written yet. If you get to it before me, at least post it up so I can listen!)
Old 3rd July 2012
restpause

I can't sleep with any fan on because even though it seems like white noise, it's actually quite resonant and irritates my hearing at the resonant frequencies and I think it causes hearing damage because I get ringing in my ears after hearing a fan, even if it *seems* really quiet. Luckily it's not tinnitus. My condolences to those of you with tinnitus.
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
It,or mine doesn't hurt[tinnitus],and yes it's very real,it's the nerve impulses from the ear to the brain vibrating,as the tiny hairs[deep within the ear canal],are pushed flat[which is a warning that your'e being exposed to too much noise]there is definitely medical science that proves it[here in Australia]certainly does exist.

It is the NOISE,that drives you bat shit,its the SAME hissing shhhhhhhhh noise you get after a super loud gig/rehearsal,but instead of a day[when it would always go away] or so[mine was up to 4 days]then without warning,the next time It IS PERMANENT!,utterly NON-STOP ringing,it is also very well documented,so to say that science and doctors don't know,or are unable to prove it,is seriously ignorant.

It is very simple,many people who have worked in heavy industry/factories with extremely loud continuous noise can be affected,also it doesn't get "brought on" as you say,it happens,as a result of extreme exposure,it is PERMANENT,it is utterly non stop,mine has not ceased since October 23 1993.

Apparently some people hear banging noises[usually the ones from heavy industry]and all ranges of tones,but mine is a continuous hiss/crash cymbal noise without the initial percussive hit.

RK
I appreciate that you taught me something. Your tone is an unfriendly one, but I don't mind. Thank you for the correction...I should have said "as far as I know".
Old 4th July 2012
Gear nut

I have this too...
I'm beginning to worry now...
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

On topic, I find reading until you just can't read anymore to be the best cure. You can't sleep, so you may as well occupy your mind at least
Old 5th August 2012
Lives for gear

Sister Christian, oh the time has come
And you know that you're the only one
To say okay

Where you goin' what you lookin' for
You know those boys
Don't want to play no more with you
It's true

You're motorin'
What's your price for flight?
In finding Mister Right
You'll be alright tonight
Old 5th August 2012
Gear Guru

Sometimes...

ALL I NEED IS THE AIR THAT I BREATHE...

and to love... you...
Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Sometimes...

ALL I NEED IS THE AIR THAT I BREATHE...

and to love... you...
Four days running now, this has been playing in my head.

...but I like it.
Old 9th August 2012
Gear Guru

Can we invent a whole new affliction? The "eye-worm"?

Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear

^^^^
Hahahaha LOL that's perfect!!!!
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Can we invent a whole new affliction? The "eye-worm"?
Those dresses temp me with the often neglected under-butt.
Old 10th August 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
Hmm can you tell me what exactly an earworm is? I saw the title of this thread and had to subscribe
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

Old 10th August 2012
pdx
Gear Head

Read "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks if you think your earworm problem is bad. You might have some kind of nutritional deficiency that's making unwanted music stay in your working memory. Your brain is stuck in a state and it can't shift, normally you should be able to shift from one context to another without getting stuck.
Old 11th August 2012
Gear nut

By... Mennon!
Old 11th August 2012
Gear nut

^somebody famous used the mennon trick... I forget who.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search