Yamaha HS80M vs Adam A7X
Old 9th June 2012
  #1
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Yamaha HS80M vs Adam A7X

Looking to make a major upgrade to my monitors, and have narrowed the search down to these two.

Yamaha HS80M and the Adam A7X.

I primarily work on electronica and hip hop, but would love the flexibility to work with any style of music.

I would prefer to go sans subwoofer on this setup.

Would love to hear your recommendations on similarly priced speakers.

I appreciate your input!
Old 9th June 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
kasmira's Avatar
 

Adams aren't even near in the same league IMO. The A7X are truly worth more than the price tag. Besides that though, they still are a good bit more expensive than the Yams.

I am biased though, a few of my good friends have the Yams and quite frankly, I hate them. Do you not have somewhere locally you can demo them?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Gearslutz App
Old 9th June 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmira View Post
Adams aren't even near in the same league IMO. The A7X are truly worth more than the price tag. Besides that though, they still are a good bit more expensive than the Yams.

I am biased though, a few of my good friends have the Yams and quite frankly, I hate them. Do you not have somewhere locally you can demo them?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Gearslutz App
becose you hate them doesnt mean they cant be very helpfull in mixing

lol you can compare NS10 to everything and you would always say how you hate that terrible awfull speaker but that and HS80 would be my secondary set of monitors choice becose it reveals crap that others cant
Old 9th June 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Adam a7x is much better,it would be my first choice but price performance ration have to go to HS80m,pair here costs same as singlel A7x... it isnt as good but,definately in hi fi terms thats awfull cold speaker with harsh topend but that in yo face tweeter reveals crap in that critical region,so if you make it ok on hs80,you bring that to A7x and it would sound like angels kiss
Quote
1
Old 9th June 2012
  #5
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
I was afraid that I'd get a bunch of people that hate the yamahas.

I heard a pair of HS80Ms at a friends house, as compared to my MAudio BX8As, they blow my speakers out of the water.

Havent found someone with a pair of Adams to listen to.
Honestly, I have a hard time working up the motivation to go to Guitar Center and deal with the morons that work there..

"yeah man, like these are speakers, and you like hook them up to your like rig, and it like plays the sounds you recorded..."
".....ok, what's the frequency response on these bad boys."
"......frequency response?"
Old 9th June 2012
  #6
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
***best if read in a stoner's voice***
Old 9th June 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Lol, I know the feeling. And while it's not perfect, it can still be revealing if they have a testing room where you can A/B the two speakers. It can't hurt; just listen to the speakers, not the employees.

I have listened to both monitors, and really love both. I always recommend the HS80ms to people looking in that price range. You can usually get them used for about $350. That said, they aren't perfect; most notably their brightness (upper mids and above) can be fatiguing (the hf roll-off switch does help). My apartment mate has them and loves them.

The Adam A7x are in a different price range, and I really do love them too. They have all the hf detail of the Yamahas without the sense of bright harshness (to my ears). I find them a pleasure to listen to. If I could afford them, I'd own a pair.

I don't remember much about the low end of the Adams. Certainly wasn't problematic. I know on the Yamahas it's reserved but accurate.

The Dynaudio BM5as are another monitor worth considering, in between those two in price. 6.9" woofers. The low end is a bit bulbous, but still very accurate. Makes your room bump in a pleasant manner :P. I find the highs to be much smoother and more pleasant than the Yamahas. Very detailed up there. That's what I have right now. There also quite compact compared to the Yamahas. I'm very happy, and don't think I'll feel the need to upgrade anytime soon.

Anyways, they are all great monitors. Consider watching craigslist for a while, and seeing what comes up. I got the Dynaudios for the ridiculous price of $400. The Adams don't come up much, but I've often seen HS80ms around.
Old 9th June 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 

I have the Yamahas for when friends come round to jam and a pair of old Tannoy System 6 NFMIIs to mix and otherwise generally monitor with.
Oh - and I am using a heaily customised Quad 405 with the Tannoys.
REAL old school, but I grew up on Tannoy DCs.

Yamahas are LOUD and have more bottom end.

Tannoys are believable and make hearing into the mix easy.

Get the Adams.
Old 9th June 2012
  #9
Gear maniac
 
NothingTheory's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
I heard a pair of HS80Ms at a friends house, as compared to my MAudio BX8As, they blow my speakers out of the water.
This does not surprise me. The BXs are horrible. You could buy almost anything and be better off. Unfortunately it also means you dont really have a point of reference to go from. If you have a friend with yams, spend a bunch of time with them and get to know them a bit. You will then at least have a better starting point to go from when auditioning other types.
Old 9th June 2012
  #10
Gear maniac
 

The HS80Ms have NO bottom end, so if you're going to produce electronica and hip hop, maybe look elsewhere. I'm about to sell the HS80Ms largely because of their poor low-end detail for being 8", and needing something smaller.
Old 9th June 2012
  #11
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Hahahaha this is awesome. Some say the Yamaha monitors have a ton of low end and others say they have no low end.

I forget that I'm asking such a subjective question.

I've heard a bit about the dynaudios, but not much.
And I don't know anybody who has a pair.

I might run downtown to guitar center this afternoon and listen to the speakers (and not the employees lol) as suggested.

The monitor room at the GC here is pretty well designed and acoustically treated.... Unfortunately my space is quite the opposite.
I'm afraid that they will sound one way at GC and like totally different speakers once I get them home. :(
Old 9th June 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
The monitor room at the GC here is pretty well designed and acoustically treated.... Unfortunately my space is quite the opposite.
I'm afraid that they will sound one way at GC and like totally different speakers once I get them home. :(
This will be true no matter what. I find the GC rooms usually have a bunch of foam up but no real broadband treatment. Still, A/Bing will reveal the differences between the speakers. And the differences are not subtle.
Old 9th June 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post

I'm afraid that they will sound one way at GC and like totally different speakers once I get them home. :(
Been there recently. I bought the HS80s around year end. Ended up returning them and getting probably the last pair of the A7s cuz they were a few hundred cheaper than the A7x. I understand why people like the A7x-I was just trying to save $.

Then I discovered that my room was messing me up and had to embark on the quest of room treatment (which continues BTW).

Sooner or later, I suspect we all have to address room treatment regardless of personal monitor choice.
Old 9th June 2012
  #14
Gear addict
 

tried both, returned the yamaha's within a few hours.
Old 9th June 2012
  #15
Gear addict
 
eddie.machete's Avatar
 

Yams aren't meant to have a low end as you mean a low end. Their meant to be true and uncoloured. Get some krk if you want hifi coloured speakers. They will sound bad if you cant play,mix,master. Garbage in garbage out.

Sent from my Acer E320 using Gearslutz App
Old 10th June 2012
  #16
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Well.. I have to be honest, my current monitors have clearly colored my mixes so much that I'm not good at mixing.... How could I be if I've never truly heard the music?

So, what would be your choice as a pair of monitors to use if you we're trying to improve your mixing skills?

It seems like the yamahas would be the better choice, as people mention it being very uncolored...

I don't want the speakers to add things that aren't really there, but I want a speaker so detailed that it'll accurately show you everything that is there......... All for under $1500.....

Ahhhhhhhh the old issue of trying to buy a Maserati GT on a Honda Civic budget........ One day....one day......
Old 10th June 2012
  #17
Gear maniac
 

The Yammy's are a bit of a catch 22...it's almost like they are good because of how harsh they are.

You can be sure if you get bass to pump on them, when you bounce the track the bass will definitely pump. If you get the mix to sound less harsh and a bit smoother on the Yammy's, you can be sure the bounced track will sound smooth. That being said, the ones I used fatigued the living heck out of my ears.

The A7s are great, in the price range the Focals I used were cream of the crop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
tried both, returned the yamaha's within a few hours.
Old 10th June 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
Well.. I have to be honest, my current monitors have clearly colored my mixes so much that I'm not good at mixing.... How could I be if I've never truly heard the music?

So, what would be your choice as a pair of monitors to use if you we're trying to improve your mixing skills?

It seems like the yamahas would be the better choice, as people mention it being very uncolored...

I don't want the speakers to add things that aren't really there, but I want a speaker so detailed that it'll accurately show you everything that is there......... All for under $1500.....

Ahhhhhhhh the old issue of trying to buy a Maserati GT on a Honda Civic budget........ One day....one day......
Think about your overall budget including monitors and treatment. Take the best monitors and put them in a terrible room and see if the results are not still disappointing. If you bought a beautiful painting and displayed it in a room with awful lighting, would you still see all the beauty in the painting?

Honestly, you don't have to spend a fortune on treatment. Lots of inexpensive DIY methods discussed here on GS. Download REW for free-measure your room. See what you've got. Experiment. Change your monitors if you need to. Enjoy the ride.
Old 14th June 2012
  #19
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Take the best monitors and put them in a terrible room and see if the results are not still disappointing. If you bought a beautiful painting and displayed it in a room with awful lighting, would you still see all the beauty in the painting?
Arguably the best analogy I've heard in a while.
Thank you for opening my eyes up a bit.
There are SOOO many variables that I'm not taking into consideration.

So... I need to wait until this lease is up, and I can get into a place where I can properly treat a room.

There is no point in me buying speakers - when I can't properly use them.

I may reach out to the music community on CL to see if someone locally would be interested in helping me with this studio project. Perhaps I can find some people who have these speakers - I really want to test these out in my room... A speaker test drive...

(sorry, dont know why I did that emoticon... he's been chillin over there for a while, and I've been dying to use him for something... I'm done waiting.)
Old 16th June 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
kasmira's Avatar
 

Where are you located? Some DIY treatment can be had for 300$ and the Adams are $1200. Right at the 1500 mark but imo you'd be much better off that way than Yams with treatment or Adams without treatment.

Edit: and just to clarify my first post, I'm not 'hating' them just to hate them. They are good speakers to reference a mix on, but they are extremely harsh and make my ears fatigue very quickly. I would hate to be stuck with just those to compose/write/produce on. That's why I dislike them.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Gearslutz App
Old 16th June 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
I've used both extensively and the A7X are just far superior in every aspect, far more clean and detailed, and this is how most people find it when comparing these monitors.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Even a recent report here on the old A7 (A7X even better)
Please help with monitors question (Adam 7 and Yamaha HS80s)

But if you experienced the extreme harshness it seems the room was very bad or they was not fully burned in. Saying all this, again monitors are personal, and everyones ears are different. The yams are great budget monitors but they not in the same class as higher end monitors naturally.
Old 16th June 2012
  #22
Gear interested
 

the A7s and the HS80s are built with different approaches in mind. With the Yamahas you get what is possible for the budget. a linear low end to what the woofers are capable of without magic and fairly accurate highs. that's it. The Adams try to trick you by playing deeper (never ever will i buy studio monitors with bass reflex construction again), but that deeper low end is far from accurate. The highs are decent and overall construction is ok.

my tip: if you don't have the 1500,- for real studio monitors, buy two pairs for 200,- each and keep switching between the two shitty speaker pairs. If you manage to keep your ears from adapting to "wrong" speakers you can still get pretty decent work...
Old 16th June 2012
  #23
Gear interested
 
Bgtheengineer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGain View Post
the A7s and the HS80s are built with different approaches in mind. With the Yamahas you get what is possible for the budget. a linear low end to what the woofers are capable of without magic and fairly accurate highs. that's it. The Adams try to trick you by playing deeper (never ever will i buy studio monitors with bass reflex construction again), but that deeper low end is far from accurate. The highs are decent and overall construction is ok.

my tip: if you don't have the 1500,- for real studio monitors, buy two pairs for 200,- each and keep switching between the two shitty speaker pairs. If you manage to keep your ears from adapting to "wrong" speakers you can still get pretty decent work...

I agree with you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Gearslutz App
Old 16th June 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGain View Post
the A7s and the HS80s are built with different approaches in mind. With the Yamahas you get what is possible for the budget. a linear low end to what the woofers are capable of without magic and fairly accurate highs. that's it. The Adams try to trick you by playing deeper (never ever will i buy studio monitors with bass reflex construction again), but that deeper low end is far from accurate. ..
Your talking about A7, as they are different to A7X. A7X low end is very accurate, natural, none hyped and detailed. But it's a persons ability to make things translate.
Old 16th June 2012
  #25
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Adam monitors all seem like the sound is stuck on a flat surface at the cones. Doesn't go deep inside like say, PMC's. Doesn't go forward from the speakers towards you, like say old, good KRK's (6000/7000/9000). But that sound hanging there by the cones does have a lot of detail in it. Just not a very 3D place. If that doesn't bother you (and it doesn't bother loads of people as you can tell here) go Adam, job done. I'd go second hand and get something else. Tricky money area though. Maybe some Quested F11's. Or indeed some old KRK's.
Old 16th June 2012
  #26
Gear interested
 

I am sorry, yes i was talking about the A7 .. i am working with a pair of these for 5 years now and still like them ( for the boom boxes they are ).

Their biggest problem is that the bass reflex construction is noisy and the louder you listen the more your bass frequencies get disturbed by the noise.

Now i did only listen to the a7x once on a venue, so i cannot tell if they suffer from the same problem, but i can tell that claiming perfect bass accuracy while
- not changing the size of the woofer
- not changing the size of the box
- still the same amount of air needs to be moved to create the same amount of bass

.. is a highly questionable statement.

but i will of course take back all i said if someone can provide measurement data that proves me wrong.
Old 16th June 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGain View Post

Their biggest problem is that the bass reflex construction is noisy and the louder you listen the more your bass frequencies get disturbed by the noise.

Now i did only listen to the a7x once on a venue, so i cannot tell if they suffer from the same problem, but i can tell that claiming perfect bass accuracy while
- not changing the size of the woofer
- not changing the size of the box
- still the same amount of air needs to be moved to create the same amount of bass

.. is a highly questionable statement.

but i will of course take back all i said if someone can provide measurement data that proves me wrong.
It seems you have not even seen the A7X or something to say all of the above.

-The woofer is a bigger size and improved
-The box is bigger and different design
-It has two port holes with more air being able to be pushed out (No port noise due to flange fix well over year ago, so no problems like you mention even at very high output levels)

That's only some of the things, not to mention, the different tweeter, amps etc etc. Just do a search for A7X and look at the pictures, dimensions and specs
Old 16th June 2012
  #28
Gear interested
 

i must confess i did not have my yard stick with me when i saw, and listened to, the A7X at the SAE Convention in Berlin 2011 and from what i see the A7X truly is different from the A7. I still would not recommend to use a studio monitor with bass reflex design, but make an A/B in your studio and you will hear for yourself. Since you will be working with these monitors all the time, better take the ones you like..
Old 17th June 2012
  #29
Lives for gear
Thats the key there, get monitors in your own space work with them and pick whichever you get on with the most for you personally.
Old 17th June 2012
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
Hahahaha this is awesome. Some say the Yamaha monitors have a ton of low end and others say they have no low end.
It's funny you mention that.

I used to have a pair of HS80Ms and the lowend was barely present, dialing in the lows on them was nearly impossible. My friend just got a pair last week and I went over to his house to check out his setup and his have the most lowend I've ever heard come out of a pair of monitors

Not sure if it's just the fact that he's in a much smaller room than me, with no treatment, and his monitor placement right up against a wall, or if Yamaha is just really inconsistent with these monitors, but I was blown away by the difference I heard in his versus mine. I almost second-guessed selling mine, because they sounded much better in his room; then I had to think to myself... "They might sound good listening to them right now, but that doesn't mean they're good mixing on them."

That being said, A7Xs all the way. Even against his "better" HS80Ms, there's no competition; though if you've got enough money for those, you owe yourself to try out the Dynaudio BM5As, Genelec 8030A (8040 preferable, but you're not going to get there unless you go used) and Neumann KH120s.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
lampmeister / So much gear, so little time!
15
A27Hull / Geekslutz forum
11
lasso / So much gear, so little time!
11

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.