Yamaha HS80M vs Adam A7X
New Reply
Subscribe
17th June 2012
Old 17th June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
The HS80Ms have NO bottom end, so if you're going to produce electronica and hip hop, maybe look elsewhere.
This is a VERY misleading statement!
17th June 2012
Old 17th June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw View Post
It's funny you mention that.

I used to have a pair of HS80Ms and the lowend was barely present, dialing in the lows on them was nearly impossible. My friend just got a pair last week and I went over to his house to check out his setup and his have the most lowend I've ever heard come out of a pair of monitors

Not sure if it's just the fact that he's in a much smaller room than me, with no treatment, and his monitor placement right up against a wall, or if Yamaha is just really inconsistent with these monitors, but I was blown away by the difference I heard in his versus mine. I almost second-guessed selling mine, because they sounded much better in his room; then I had to think to myself... "They might sound good listening to them right now, but that doesn't mean they're good mixing on them."
BOTH the Adams and the Yamahas need careful placement, decoupling (or coupling) and a treated room!

So do all speakers if you desire to hear their actual "sound"

Otherwise it's like trying to judge a photo-printout in a badly lit room.

17th June 2012
Old 17th June 2012
Lives for gear

Indeed both are very sensitive to rooms / room placement & treatment, more so than some of their rivals. It can give a misleading picture on each and most monitors.
17th June 2012
Old 17th June 2012
Gear addict

Yams have true bottom end. Other outputs you listen to your mix on have coloured bottom end. I think that might be where the confusion comes from.
Plasma
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
Gear maniac

This has been the hardest choice....
I haven't had the opportunity to REALLY listen to all of the options mentioned.
I mean, I've made several visits to Guitar Hell, but there is always some jackass playing some plastic guitar through a triple rectifier - drowns out any decent audible sounds in the whole store...

Seriously...
If you are that jackass - drink bleach and die.

On a lighter note-
If you have any other recommendations, I'd love to hear it.

I heard some mentions of Genelec, whats the word with those?
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to kasmira
I don't have any experience with Genelec so I'll refrain from commenting there.

How big is your room and how far away are you from your monitors?

Event's new 3-way, the 2030s are the same price as the Adams and seem to pack more punch. I just ordered a pair, should have them by Wednesday. Really stoked to have a 3-way setup.

If you don't purchase anything by then I will definitely be giving a review of them, while comparing against HS80Ms and Rokit 5G2s.

Edit; also, the Yams definitely have some low end. They pack more boom than the Adams in my experiences. But, these Event threeways have a dedicated 7.1" low freq driver, 3.3" midrange driver, and a 3/4" tweeter. In my quest for looking for monitors, I just couldn't say no to a good three-way in my price range. I ended up actually getting them for $1070 for the pair instead of the retail $1,199 from Sweetwater. I'm really curious as to how loud they are. I'm sure they'll be loud enough for my room as Rokit 5s are almost loud enough in my room...man, I can't wait to get these damn things. Can I pay for expedited shipping if they're already on the way..? Haha...only kidding..sorta.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Gearslutz App
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
Gear nut

My nod to the Adams. You can learn to mix on anything, but it sure helps to hear details in the mix! The Adams will give you that.
3rd September 2012
Old 3rd September 2012
Lives for gear

I am not bias towards any just statements of fact. I think the argument of dull and precise should be put in different context. Lets say for instance you're building a house "from the ground up", to your taste, keyword "your taste". And you wanted to be the one to design every single detail from the flooring to the bed sheets. In this situation the best way to start would be with what? Nothing! Absolutely nothing stripped bare, nothing but wooden frames so you could build your house in every single minute detail to your liking. So the house would be completely "dull". To me that is the yamaha HS80s they are just dull. If you sold a house with just the wooden frames it would be cheap hence why the yamaha's are cheap or cheaper!
They are not, I repeat they are not NS10's (even the manual states that) but they have "some" characteristics of the NS10s in that they are dull with hardly any color at all. If the environment you are working in is dull while your trying to create something immaculate chances are its going to come out IMMACULATE! That dull sound of the Yamaha's forces you to bring out a great sound. You don't stop mixing until the sound that comes out of those Yamaha's sounds great! When your done and take that mix to a car or play on CD it in fact sounds great! and maybe even better.

No in MHO the worse way to build a house from the ground up is to try and build a house thats already built a show house or a house thats already for sale the only option that you have is to place furniture inside. No fun at all! That is my opinion of the Adam 7x. They are so well built that some things are already there like highs. Pop, Rock, Hip Hop, R&B most modern genres highs are very important that polish that sheen needs to be "precise" or....Dull so as to allow you to engineer that sound. If it is already there you wont eng that sound or worse you take it out because you think it is to prominent

Now the argument of "PRECISION" def needs to be brought to the discussion. In retrospect to the construction of the house when you go to build that home you want to find the "BEST" tools you want the best construction company in the neighborhood to come build that house with the best equipment. Why? Because they would be the most "PRECISE". IMHO they Yamaha are in now way precise at all they have a scoop in the mid range (which I find strange why would you scoop a feq that eng's are taught since we are rookies to pay attention or to scoop to glue the track if its to boomy! Why would you feel the need to scoop that in a monitor!?? FAR FROM ME! Maybe they did it to help us out)
Anyway mostly the HS80 are dull but if your dull you dont have to worry bout being precise as we saw with the house dull allows you a lot of possibility to design everything. The Adams are more precise period. Precise with lows, mid range right up to about 5-7K (minus the highs) they are very accurate. Being accurate and precise cost money you want to build a house from the ground up with the best tools and construction be prepared to spend the money.

Bass response - those who say HS have no bass please go to you local gtr center and tell the rep that he has waisted your time and you would like a refund on gas. You should check sound source, cabling and monitoring. The HS have INCREDIBLE bass the freq of the monitor even has a bass boost! They are a 8 inch speaker how could they not have any good bass? No need to even have a sub with them. Adams on the other hand not a whole lot of bass but the bass that it does have it is very accurate.

My Vote ugghhhhh!!!
#1 Yamaha, sorry guys you dont have to pay the price for precision if what you have is just completely dull because you have the option to build that precision from the ground up! Hope your house is better than mine.
3rd September 2012
Old 3rd September 2012
Gear addict

they both can be adjusted to ur needs.. my friend has the Yammys, and i have the Adams.. when i 1st got them, they were very "bassy".. but i adjusted them.. they have 3 dials in the back.. "High shelf, Low shelf, and Tweeter level" and u also adjust ur mixer... (with the right adjustment, im sure u can even get NS10s out of them) i stopped asking for opinions long time ago.. i did my research, checked them out at the store, and made my decision.. u cant go wrong with either... if u stay here listening to different opinions all day, ur never gonna get them.

da relic
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha HS80M vs Adam A7X-1600-hs80m_back.jpg   Yamaha HS80M vs Adam A7X-72929_g4.jpg  
9th September 2012
Old 9th September 2012
Gear nut

11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtrackshack View Post
so hs80m is better to get instead of adam a7x?

Sent from my SCH-I535
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Gear addict

Something tells me we're getting differing opinions on speakers' response because of peoples' rooms. I doubt it has anything to do with the speakers themselves.

I have both the HS80M's and the HS50M's. They are good speakers. I've worked on Mackie HR824's, Yamaha MSP7's, Adams A7X's, KRK VXT 8's, KRK 7000's, Event 20/20 bas, Genelec 8030's, Focal CMS 50's and I can tell you that speakers are largely a personal taste thing.

Unless you have a perfectly flat room, which 99.9% of people don't. Hence the variation on opinions on their response.

I work quite happily on the HS80M's and I don't stress about it. They sound just as good, if not better than my HR824 MK1's that I used for years so that's my 2c.

Cheers
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Gear interested

I can recommend the Adam a7s really speakers
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

I bought the Yams about 6 months ago. Love em.

I produce various types of music. Just got out of Music School and started working.

I'm not an engineer, so I Personally wouldn't justify right now the purchase of the Adams, which are very precise monitors, instead of the HS80's which are really built for your mixes to translate well in different speakers.

One of the engineers I work with just recently got a pair of A7X. I really haven't listened through them enough, but he uses them for mixing and mastering. All I really know about these speakers is that they're very precise.

I just EQ stuff. I don't use my HS80 to cut off 2 dB in the 525 Hz. This guy does that with his Adams.
17th September 2012
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

Okay.. my 2 cents, for what they´re worth.

I knew the Adam A7 and the HS80M pretty well from two friends´ studios. They both have advantages, and - provided you place them well in your room - you should get a good translation on both of them. Then I auditioned the A7x vs. the HS80M in an auditioning room over at my music store, and was able to hear them side by side in the same room, and switching between them in a millisecond. What I found was that the HS80M lacked precision. Listening to a triphop mix on them revealed a very muddy bass sound from the HS80M, I even had a hard time making out the actual notes played in the bass lines, and this got worse in parts where there were low kick sounds working together with the bass lines. On the A7x the bass was a lot more accurate. I'd call the bass out of them tight, yet warm. In the higher frequencies the HS80m's sounded less clean to me than the A7x's as well.

I purchased the A7x's based on my findings in the store, and I now have them here at home, in a temporary setup until my new pc arrives. At first they gave almost too much bass, when they were standing loose on a small wooden table. Like I said this setup is temporary, so for now I put them on a pair of towels still folded and packed in plastic. That cured some of the bass problems immediately.

The statement earlier in this thread that they don't provide a good "3d" experience, I find to be hogwash. Sitting in the right place in front of my monitors, it is like they don't exist anymore, and the sound is flowing from between them and further to the sides, effectively surrounding me in sound. Lead vocals seem to be coming from straight in front of me, and not from the speakers at all. in contrast the bands and/or orchestra's seem to be in a wide arc around me, far beyond the width the speakers are apart on my table.

I have done this in my friend's studio with the HS80M's and they don't provide that experience. I like them very much, and yes their "dull" sound might invite you to put more work in your mix to make it sound less dull. They are truly a pair of tools, and they do that job reasonably well, and spectacularly well for the price. However, I do find listening to them for a couple of hours fatiguing. It's like you have to "squint" your ears to get to the bottom of a sound, and the sound from them is on the harsh side for me. This might have an impact on how long you feel comfortable while mixing.

I have found the last three days that once I start listening to the Adam A7x's, I have a hard time stopping. Wether I play acoustic stuff on them, or wild electronic stuff, or heavy metal and grunge, everything just comes out so clear, and I can even hear stuff that the producers of these records wouldn't want me to hear, like the slight digital distortions from early 90's digital effects processors, low resolution samples, or less-than-bang-on drum hits. My own mixes don't hold up too well, a lot of the mistakes I made have become crystal clear, and I'll need to start reworking every track as soon as my new pc arrives.

The bottom line is, I just got the Adam A7x's so don't expect an unbiased opinion from me. They are such an improvement over my earlier speakers, that I'm slightly drunk from the experience of finally hearing what I'm doing. Having said that, the HS80M's were my second choice, and I would have bought them, if I hadn't auditioned them in the store right next to the A7x's. They work great in my friend's studio, and I never had a complaint about his setup. But when compared to the A7x's in a fair shootout, they can't compete. The Adams are twice as expensive as the Yamahas so this shouldn't be a surprise.

I even spent an evening trying to convince myself to be less picky, buy the Yamahas, and spend the 500 euros on something else I really needed, like spending more on a vocal microphone, or an audio interface with more inputs. But I simply couldn't. Monitors are the backbone of your studio, you have to have something there that absolutely works for you, and I knew the Yamahas weren't as good as the Adams.

Final notes:

1. I have also listened to the Adam A5x monitors (and compared them to the HS50m´s) and found them to be much less desirable. They sounded boxy, the bass was missing in action, and the high end wasn´t quite as precise. The competition between HS50M´s and A5x´s would be a lot closer as a result. I´d even prefer the HS80M´s over the A5x´s, because they provide more bass, and perform equally "well" in the higher frequency range)

2. This is all my opinion, I'm not dissing anyone's choice for the HS80M's over the A7x's. I don't like them as much, and in this post, it might come over as if the HS80M's are hopeless, wich they are not. They are the best monitors I have heard in their price range by a country mile. The decision to buy the Adams was personal, because they are what I liked. Someone else may have a different opinion, and I won't say I'm more right than they are. Ideally, listen to both options before making your decision.

Last edited by TheFutureIsSweet; 17th September 2012 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: minor typo fixed
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Good comparison. I agree with your findings as well.

Odd though that you find the A5X to be so much different than the A7X on the top end as they both have the same high freq amp and X-ART tweeter. Perhaps the one you demoed was defective?

Sent from my SCH-I535
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Gear addict

hmmm ax7 more than double the price of hs80m

i'm not a pro, but, MSP7 > HS80M, and still way cheaper than adams
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Love the HS50M and HS80M. Miss my pair an awful lot but I couldn't justify keeping them with NS10s. There's something about them, to some degree the same as the NS10, that makes balancing a vocal a piece of cake compared to on other monitors. Most other speaker brands get more love on here but I've yet to achieve good balances using other brands!
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Gear interested

In a similar boat...

Been reading for easily a few months (whilst saving up) on my next monitor purchase. Already own a pair of HS50ms and agree that mixes translate well on these gems after sorting out the sub bass freqs on my Sennheiser HD25 mk2s.
But the bass response of my HS50ms really is lacking, as I make dance music primarily for playing in clubs. Looking to buy either Mackie HR824s or JBL LSR 2328ps. I will still use my HS50ms as a second monitor so the warm hifi punch that the JBLs / Mackies will give me can be sorted when referenced to the Yams.

I hope I haven't trampled the owners thread but I felt it was a related question and the JBL's could be a consideration for him because they are, from what I have read a fairly good, underrated and under-reviewed speaker.

They would surely be a less fatiguing option than the HS80m in terms of highs but could add a bit to his budget.

Peace x
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflod View Post
Been reading for easily a few months (whilst saving up) on my next monitor purchase. Already own a pair of HS50ms and agree that mixes translate well on these gems after sorting out the sub bass freqs on my Sennheiser HD25 mk2s.
But the bass response of my HS50ms really is lacking, as I make dance music primarily for playing in clubs. Looking to buy either Mackie HR824s or JBL LSR 2328ps. I will still use my HS50ms as a second monitor so the warm hifi punch that the JBLs / Mackies will give me can be sorted when referenced to the Yams.

I hope I haven't trampled the owners thread but I felt it was a related question and the JBL's could be a consideration for him because they are, from what I have read a fairly good, underrated and under-reviewed speaker.

They would surely be a less fatiguing option than the HS80m in terms of highs but could add a bit to his budget.

Peace x
Dude if you have the yams I'd only look to hd headphones and household hifis and iPods, car steroes etc for a secondary. Unless you simply have the money to spend on the secondarys. Then yea all good. If i had the coin I'd have three good monitoring solutions set up. Probably hs80s, some Adams and some genelec. I Mix in headphones at home as I'm producing and jump on Adams when I get to our studio. They are great, but I'd still rather be on yams. For the translation.

sent from the future
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmira View Post
Good comparison. I agree with your findings as well.

Odd though that you find the A5X to be so much different than the A7X on the top end as they both have the same high freq amp and X-ART tweeter. Perhaps the one you demoed was defective?

Sent from my SCH-I535
I have been wondering about this myself, but I can't offer a decent explanation for the difference. It could easily be the case that the ones I demoed were defective, although they didn't sound defective. Just less articulate over the entire spectrum of frequencies than the A7X. It might be a subjective experience, because of the lack of bass frequencies, but I don't really believe that.

On another note, I had a chance today to listen to the A7's again at my friend's house, with the Adam Sub 8 in the setup as well. It seemed to me that a sub might one day be a sensible add-on to the A7-x's as well, although their bass response is better to start with. But those sub frequencies from the Sub 8 were a welcome addition to the A7 sound, providing a more complete and "grounded" punch.

Comparing a mix I had listened to quite extensively yesterday on the A7-x's to the A7's without the sub today was interesting. It seems to me that the A7-x's are a definite improvement over the A7's when it comes to the spatial experience, providing a more encompassing and realistic reproduction of the positioning of individual sounds in the mix. Also the highs might be just a little more "brilliant" on the A7-x's.

Having said that, I am aware that the placing of the monitors in the room, and the treatment of that room become a big factor when comparing such details. My room is untreated as of yet, and my speakers are temporarily resting on packed towels instead of proper isolators. These factors make an honest comparison almost impossible, since my friend's room is treated, and his speakers are sitting on isolators placed on heavy wooden frames on his desk.

I have received my new computer today as well, tomorrow I´ll hopefully be able to pick up my new 27" (shameless boast) screen, and new workdesk. When I have received those the arduous task of putting everything together into my new production setup will begin. I have decided to start off with positioning the computer, synth and monitors so that I have an ergonomical listening and working position, and then I´ll be able to plan how to treat my room. Once everything's set up properly, I'll report my findings here again. There might be a couple of weeks of frustrating work ahead first though...
14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Gear interested

14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Gear interested

I've compared them side by side in two stores which isn't an ideal environment to make a real comparison but the main difference I noticed in that short time was that the hs 80 seemed too bright compared to the adam a7x. The adam's are very articulate in the mids and have lots of highs...but there were a lot less needlessly harsh moments, which I think sounds better. Don't get me wrong...the hs 80 sounded good until I compared them. Either way though, sound treating is what really brings out the life in them. Everytime I add more bass trapping or foam I'm like "Man, It's like I spent $1000 more on my speakers!"

P.S. After those comparisons and the comparisons of the other 6-8 comparable monitor brands they had available in store, I bought the Adams.

Hope this helps!
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

pretty much all over the board on this one, arent we?
some saying HS80s are harsh, while others say they are dull...
i also did considerable auditioning of the A7x and HS80Ms (coming from tannoy active reveals), along with genelec 8030s.
there is no doubt that the high end of the adams is more revealing, though i personally found it to be overhyped, and quite fatiguing to my ears. the genelecs were quite similar in the high end, but with less bass response. i found the yamahas to be quite smooth across the freq range and did not immediately wear out my ears (admittedly, i do chamber/classical work, so those who do rock/pop. etc may have different needs or experiences).
i bought the hs80ms, and after several months now, i am very satisfied with them - everything translates easily to my car, ipod, and home theater systems.
however, as several people have already mentioned - monitors are a matter of taste, and the most important thing is to "learn" your monitors, whatever they are. do plenty of A/B comparisons between your mixes and similar commercial mixes.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

i sold my hs80 got adams a7x,...wow! love them!..like for real the difference is like impressive especially in the high frequency so much detail!!.. my next purchase will be the neumann kh 120 to pair wit the adams.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Here's a thought to keep in mind.

If everything you play into a monitor sounds really good ... even great, then I'd consider checking out other monitors .... UNLESS, of course, you're just listening to music for enjoyment.

One of my monitor systems are the HS80M's. The range from 'crap to great' is both disappointing, yet revealing. This is in a new, well treated. mastering room.

Bottom line ... you have to audition/ test for yourself. The opinions expressed span the gamut. Very confusing. Keep in mind, too, my Yammy's took about a week of 'burn in'. Also, be careful of the choice of cables [particularly the length]. The 15' Mogami QUAD were horrible [as confirmed by ZEN PRO Audio testing].

Things to consider
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Gear nut

Come one guys, we all know Adam A7x will run circles around HS80, if you can't understand that, or hear the difference, you have no ears. And please, don't give me that monitors are personal thing, the A7x are clear winner, lets be real here....it would be personal preference if you compare the A7x vs BM5A MKII or CMS 50 lets say...
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

I agree. There is no doubt the Adams are a step up in class and price. I think they both appeal to a similar demographic (serious amateur/semi-pro musician-producer, often doing electronic music) which is why they get compared pretty regularly - everyone wants the Adam sound but hope that someone will say with authority that the Yammy's are just as good for half the price!

I really, really wanted A7x's but they were just too far beyond my budget so I settled for what in my opinion were the next best thing in a range I could afford, HS80Ms. And I can tell you I have no regrets, in fact I grew to love my Yamaha's A LOT in a very short span of time. Sure, they may not have quite the detail and presence of the A7x's but they are plenty clear and have enough adjustability to compensate for your room and personal preference. I can listen to them for extended periods with little fatigue - and my ears tend to be a tad over sensitive to high-mid freqs so I don't buy that they are harsh or "too forward". Maybe because they're affordable you have a lot of people with untreated rooms using them in a less than optimal setup and getting less than optimal results, who knows.

At any rate, I think they HS80M are pretty rad monitors for a fair price. With a bit of room treatment they could treat you very well. YMMV, but I don't believe they're quite in the same class as Adam A7x or similar.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Janesaid2me
My setup is yammy ys80s w matching sub and dynaaudio bm5a
Have heard the adams as well
Here are my opinions
Adams are the best in overall detail...very silky...but most expensive
Yammys great for the price alittle brit...plenty of low end, even better w sub...reveals alot
Dynaudios great mids and highs...lacks some lows

I think if i had to pick id take the yammys w room tx versus adams without room tx
4 Weeks Ago
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

The Yamahas translate extremely well because they force you to work harder on the mix. Someone said you have to "squint" into the mix with your ears -- that is accurate. It is not always pleasant mixing on these, but the hard work pays off in smooth, well balanced mixes.

However, it is difficult to hear exactly what is happening under 100 hz. There's definitely adequate lowend, but getting kicks and bass guitars to play nice takes a lot of guesswork.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search