Equator D5 Input
New Reply
Subscribe
LTJazz
7th June 2012
Old 7th June 2012
Gear maniac

Equator D5 Input

Hearing some great things about the D5 and may give them a try. Can those who own or have used the Equator D5s chime in with their opinions?

What monitors do the D5s compare to favorably? What are your impressions?

Please note, this is not a "recommend me a monitor thread"
7th June 2012
Old 7th June 2012
Gear interested

Own them, and I love them! Might be a little light on the low end but not bad at all. A small sub will help you out if you need it, but they suit my needs well (acoustic/folk). Definitely better than things I've heard in this price range. Anyone looking at a pair of $300 monitors should get them IMO. Plus I think they have a 60 day no questions asked money back deal.
7th June 2012
Old 7th June 2012
Gear addict

I own a pair too and they're very accurate, not hyped. But I agree about lacking low end. I make rap/hip hop music so low end is crucial and its a pain to have to check elsewhere and adjust and repeat. If low end is crucial to you, a sub or bigger monitors might be a good idea. For $300 5" monitors they're awesome though.
LTJazz
7th June 2012
Old 7th June 2012
Gear maniac

I read the MIX magazine online review that basically said they held their own against $1400/pr JBLs and other small monitors and it's enough for me to want to try them!

Anyone run these next to Adams or Focal CMS 40s?
8th June 2012
Old 8th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJazz View Post
Hearing some great things about the D5 and may give them a try. Can those who own or have used the Equator D5s chime in with their opinions?

What monitors do the D5s compare to favorably? What are your impressions?

Please note, this is not a "recommend me a monitor thread"
I wrote a review of them several months ago, just click over on the left under my name. The imaging and transient response really do remind me of DynAudios BM6As which is saying a lot when you compare the price tag of each. Obviously the low end is lacking but for what I do (acoustic, vocally oriented music), the D5s are excellent.

You don`t need any more gear, you need to re-write the chorus.
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Gear interested

I have a pair of D5s on order which should arrive in the next few weeks. I plan on doing a shoot out with some comparably sized (if not necessarily priced) monitors to be sure these are the pair i want at home. I've had some Adam A3Xs, followed by a pair of Genelec 8020s, on my desk at work over the last few months (I'm spoiled by the music retailer for which I work) and have been thoroughly impressed with both. Still, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try out the D5s which, though we sell the larger Equators, are only available direct.
I'm hoping to get ahold of a pair of Focal CMS 40 to compare by the time they arrive but, either way, I have access to a relatively wide range of other monitors that match up in size, cost, or both. I'm happy to offer my opinions if anyone has a specific pair they'd like me to compare...

Nick
LTJazz
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Gear maniac

Nick,

Would love to hear your opinion on them when you snag a pair. And an opinion in relation to other monitors as well!
LTJazz
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Gear maniac

Do you have a recommendation for a sub to pair them with? If I ever need the extra bass, it'd be helpful to know where to go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
I wrote a review of them several months ago, just click over on the left under my name. The imaging and transient response really do remind me of DynAudios BM6As which is saying a lot when you compare the price tag of each. Obviously the low end is lacking but for what I do (acoustic, vocally oriented music), the D5s are excellent.
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Gear interested

I would like to know that also. I assume the JBL LSR2310SP,Yamaha HS10W or even the KRK K10S would be fine for a low budget. What do you guys recommend? I track drums and my D5s a lacking in the low end.
LTJazz
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Gear maniac

Equator recommended a sub with a variable crossover and phase adjustment...so what fits that bill?
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Rocket Scientist

Equator D5 monitors

I own them. My other monitors are Meyer HD-1 and Yamaha NS-10M.

I could easily mix an album on the Equator D5 speakers. They are light on bass but what small monitor speaker isn't other than the Meyer HD-1 which go down to 30 HZ.

Overall the Equator D5 monitor speakers sound very uniform and flat response. They are not a "colored" speaker. They are time aligned due to the coaxial driver and electronics. They sound very natural.

We record live music shows every week, I love the natural sound of listening to the shows on the D5's.

At only $299 a pair you've still got some money to buy a subwoofer if you want one. Check out Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components for some cheap subwoofer alternatives. Personally I'm quite happy listening to the D5 without a sub, they sound excellent. When I want bass I listen on my Meyers.

Good music to all.
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

i had problems with the xlr input
so i chose to use the 1/4" input
there is a knob at the back of the monitor that you can chose between three options. 1 generates less lows, 3 generates more lows.
with having them on a well treated room, i believe 3 has lots of lows, i have mine on 1. and i mix hiphop and electro stuff with very heavy bass materials. i do no hear any lack on the lows and THEY ARE COMPARABLE with $700-1000 peakers like jbl and adam.
i have 2 adam a7x and 3 adam a5x (for surround mixing). ofcourse a7x is wider and bigger and detailed compare to the D5. but D5 is wider bigger and detailed compare to the a5x. and i never felt a sub is needed for the D5's
i believe it's the best quality speaker in that SIZE and PRICE. i don't think any 5" speaker sounds as great as the D5's
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
so i chose to use the 1/4" input...
Just curious, what kind of problems did you have?

Sent from my LG-P690 using Gearslutz App
15th June 2012
Old 15th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have a recommendation for a sub to pair them with? If I ever need the extra bass, it'd be helpful to know where to go for it.
I don`t have any recommendations for a subwoofer. As I mentioned in a previous post, I do primarily acoustic and vocal heavy material so I don`t need one.
15th June 2012
Old 15th June 2012
Lives for gear

If u search the forum and check out the other thread about this topic i explained it all. It got me so pissed that i stopped using them for awhile. So here is the story:
I bought a pair of d5's and after a while i heard that from one of the speakers, there were shortage in a the frequency respond. The lows where gone and i was hearing distortion. Sounded like the speaker was gone. I sent an email to equator and they said there was a problem with the dsp and sent me a pic of the inside pbc to put some selicone gell in the holes of the pbc. I did it, and it didnt work. So sent the unit back. Meanwhile same thing happened to the other speaker left at my studio. Same problem happened to the new unit they sent. I contacted them again and they did. Ot respond. I stopped using them (obviously) but after awhile i thought that maybe i shouldve connected them with 1/4" instead of the xlr. And i was right. Problem solved and never came back
LTJazz
15th June 2012
Old 15th June 2012
Gear maniac

Would you recommend using 1/4 when I get them? I actually planned on connecting them with XLR.
15th June 2012
Old 15th June 2012
Lives for gear

I dont see (hear) any problems with 1/4". i reccomended these speakers to two of my friends and they r using them with xlr with no problems
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Equator recommended a sub with a variable crossover and phase adjustment...so what fits that bill?
So I own a pair of D5's since Feb'12, at first I was satisfied working w/o a sub but later when I started mixing more bass heavy material I started hunting. I went with the prodipe pro 10s because in all honesty I didn't want to break the bank and it has all the recommended features indicated by equator audio.

On a side note, while there is no doubt that the D5's have superior mid range clarity, I did notice my mixes lack abit in the highs when later testing in car audio setups, maybe about -5db or so what I expected 15-20khz. So now, I just boost that region +3-5db and cross ref off a mixcube in mono.

Regardless, I still love my D5's, however, I do believe a varible HF cutoff control would have been an awesome addition to the design.
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
so i chose to use the 1/4" input
there is a knob at the back of the monitor that you can chose between three options. 1 generates less lows, 3 generates more lows.
with having them on a well treated room, i believe 3 has lots of lows, i have mine on 1. and i mix hiphop and electro stuff with very heavy bass materials. i do no hear any lack on the lows and THEY ARE COMPARABLE with $700-1000 peakers like jbl and adam.
i have 2 adam a7x and 3 adam a5x (for surround mixing). ofcourse a7x is wider and bigger and detailed compare to the D5. but D5 is wider bigger and detailed compare to the a5x. and i never felt a sub is needed for the D5's
i believe it's the best quality speaker in that SIZE and PRICE. i don't think any 5" speaker sounds as great as the D5's
i think the neumann kh120 is better
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Gear maniac

I recently sold some Yamaha HS80Ms since I need to conserve space, and have a portable monitor setup. The D5s with the carrying bag seems like the perfection solution, at the right price. The Equator website says that the D5s won't be available until mid-July, so I'm holding out until then. Has anybody had these to compared with HS80Ms in particular? How about durability if I'm carting these around from session to session for tracking, then back home for mixing?
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Gear interested

After ordering in mid June, I'm expecting them in the next few days. I also believe I have a pair of CMS40s lined up to shoot out along with a few other monitors. I'll update soon, hopefully.
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear interested

Hi all, first time poster here

First off, I'm pretty noob, but something about my D5's seems odd, and I thought I'd just ask...There seems to be an audible amount of self-noise, it's very low and I didn't really notice it until the silence in the room made it evident. It appears in both ( sequentially numbered ) units equally, and maintains its level regardless of output level setting. Disconnecting the inputs makes no difference either. Of course it's not noticeable when program material is playing, but I am a little "disquieted" about it...

So, is this something that other D5 owners have noticed?
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear interested

In my opinion,the D5 is a decent buy for $300.00,it is fairly accurate as most of my mixes translates across other output devices as i would intend.They are useful to me as i mix in relatively low levels to compensate for poor room acoustics and treatments as mentioned by others on this trend,dont seek to get too much low end from these monitors,but mix in moderate levels.I hope to eventually upgrade and try the 10's or 12's,as these are the monitors that are used in school i attend and they sound fairly great.
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear interested

yes i've noticed it but its not too much of an issue for me though
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear Head

Why do I bother worrying about minuscule noise numbers in audio interfaces, if every piece of monitor speaker seems to contain noise several times louder?. I'm about to buy these monitors, but this is dissapointing.
LTJazz
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Gear maniac

Why would you base your decision on someone who could be a spammer (6 posts?)
8th July 2012
Old 8th July 2012
Gear maniac

9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Gear interested

If you're referring to the low-end excursion farting, then yes. But I managed this primarily by inadvertently maxing Totalmix's outputs, rather than using default levels...seems there was more bad low end information in the digital overs the mixer was reporting.

Having said that, after resetting Totalmix, running "Take California" via VLC started exhibing signs of it as I crept the D5's level pots upward to silly levels. At normal mixing levels it was either masked by other frequency info or not present to an audible degree.

I am going to attempt some power supply adjustments to see if the self-noise gets affected.
13th July 2012
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

Just a tip
If your lows fart in these speakers, it means U got to re proccess your lows, they r not gonna translate on iphone or laptop speakers, earpods, and older speakers.
It doesnt mean that u should kill your lows, u can have pretty bass heavy materials mixing on these speakers without them farting. Just re proccess them by doing proper locuts and compression.
I hear them farting on unproper mixes with unproper lows.
13th July 2012
Old 13th July 2012
Gear maniac

I ordered a pair this morning.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search