Login / Register
 
AKG C414 or AT4050?
New Reply
Subscribe
npinero1
Thread Starter
#1
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #1
Gear Head
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 47

Thread Starter
npinero1 is offline
AKG C414 or AT4050?

I want to buy one of these for basic vocals and some acoustic and non guitar. Which is better?
#2
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
rhizomeman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 843

rhizomeman is offline
Get the akg. I've listened to the akg414 xls compared with some AT 40 mics and the akg, I thought, was better balanced with more detail. You'll have it for the rest of your life.
#3
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,129

celticrogues is offline
I would go with the 414 too.

Cheers!
-Mike
#4
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #4
Gear interested
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 14

funkyman21 is offline
Just to add a bit of perspective to the discussion--I have a 414 XLS, and while I do very much like the mic, I have had problems with it that would make me hesitate to buy another. It turns out that the pattern selector on the front panel has a plastic backing onto which a thin layer of metal foil or paint is applied to carry the electrical connection. This layer on mine wore thin after only 18 months or so, and I started getting a serious low frequency hum/ground problem that made it unusable. AKG wanted $300 to fix their design flaw; luckily my gear guy in Chicago touched it up it for $60--hopefully it will hold up. I can't say that I have confidence in it, though.

I'm not sure about the build quality of the AT, but my AKG is kinda weak in that regard (sounds really nice, though).

best,

kevin
#5
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
rhizomeman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 843

rhizomeman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman21 View Post
It turns out that the pattern selector on the front panel has a plastic backing onto which a thin layer of metal foil or paint is applied to carry the electrical connection. This layer on mine wore thin after only 18 months or so, and I started getting a serious low frequency hum/ground problem that made it unusable.
What!!?? I have never heard of that problem happening, although, I admittedly do not change my pattern selector much. Interesting.
#6
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 614

audiotech is offline
I have four of the pre-led models, the AKG 414b ULS and had only one minor problem with one microphone in twenty years. I'm always recommending the AKG 414 series. With their different polar patterns, pads and three position low frequency roll off, they can readily adapt to many different situations. I always have a stereo pair hovering over a drum kit.

Dennis
#7
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
euphoria89's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 1,373

euphoria89 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman21 View Post
Just to add a bit of perspective to the discussion--I have a 414 XLS, and while I do very much like the mic, I have had problems with it that would make me hesitate to buy another. It turns out that the pattern selector on the front panel has a plastic backing onto which a thin layer of metal foil or paint is applied to carry the electrical connection. This layer on mine wore thin after only 18 months or so, and I started getting a serious low frequency hum/ground problem that made it unusable. AKG wanted $300 to fix their design flaw; luckily my gear guy in Chicago touched it up it for $60--hopefully it will hold up. I can't say that I have confidence in it, though.

I'm not sure about the build quality of the AT, but my AKG is kinda weak in that regard (sounds really nice, though).

best,

kevin
No way!! This happened to me just a few weeks ago and I've found no-one with a similar problem.

Low frequency noise (like wind noise) very intermittently.

I've sent it back to dv247 (retailer) and I'm hoping it will be fixed free of charge, or am given a replacement.

Thanks for the info. I may forward the information regarding the cause to dv247 in a follow up email.
npinero1
Thread Starter
#8
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #8
Gear Head
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 47

Thread Starter
npinero1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I have four of the pre-led models, the AKG 414b ULS and had only one minor problem with one microphone in twenty years. I'm always recommending the AKG 414 series. With their different polar patterns, pads and three position low frequency roll off, they can readily adapt to many different situations. I always have a stereo pair hovering over a drum kit.

Dennis
I have the AKG 414 B ULS, how is it different than the XL versions?
#9
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Tone Laborer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Austin,Tx
Posts: 1,672

Tone Laborer is offline
Neither is better, imo. Both good workhorse mics for vocals and guitars. I put the 4050 up against a friends 414, can't remember which one, it was long time agol. Going from a hazy memory, but the 414 had slightly more pronounced top end and the 4050 a little more low mid body. The 4050 had a more natural sound to me, but the 414 had a sweet high end for the right source.

My 4050 has given about 17 years of trouble free service so far. I can't ever see getting rid of it. Too useful/versatile.
#10
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
uncle duncan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,996

uncle duncan is offline
It's important to note that there are two basic 414 models, a neutral response mic ULS/XLS, and a brighter model voiced for vocals TLII/XLII. When people complain about a 414 being bright, it's probably a TLII or XLII. When people complain about a 414 sounding boring, it's probably a ULS or XLS.

The basic difference in sound between a 414 (either model) and a 4050 is that the 414 has a small dip in response at around 1.5k. This can result in more perceived bass response with the 414, or more midrange with the 4050.
__________________
"You're either with a native DAW, or you're with the terrorists." G.W. Busch Lite
#11
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 859

AldenW is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
No way!! This happened to me just a few weeks ago and I've found no-one with a similar problem.

Low frequency noise (like wind noise) very intermittently.
This can also be caused by moisture in the capsule.
#12
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
  #12
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 172

alchey is offline
c414 xl2
great on all guitars, and nice drum overhead. Also have the 4050, the 414 is the goto condenser (cause I don't have anything better!) but the 4050 is a nice alternative (a little softer sounding) when the 414 doesn't work out.
__________________
"Using NOS caps in your amp is like using 50 year old, NOS belts, hoses, gas, tires, oil and fluids in your car."
- Steve Dallman (Fender Forum)
#13
11th June 2012
Old 11th June 2012
  #13
Gear nut
 
Retrospekta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Spain / Germany
Posts: 114

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrospekta
Retrospekta is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by npinero1 View Post
I want to buy one of these for basic vocals and some acoustic and non guitar. Which is better?
if you already have a good pre, you might find that the AKG 214 will do just as great of a job as the 414 at less than half the price...

after using the 414 in the studio and then trying the 214, i found that differences are marginal and dont warrant the difference in price. but you need to have a flexible pre. Imho.
#14
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
  #14
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 97

mikkelkiilerich is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospekta View Post
if you already have a good pre, you might find that the AKG 214 will do just as great of a job as the 414 at less than half the price...

after using the 414 in the studio and then trying the 214, i found that differences are marginal and dont warrant the difference in price. but you need to have a flexible pre. Imho.
Please explain why? :-)
Mikkel
#15
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
prizebeatz1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 563

prizebeatz1 is offline
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with either of these mics, but if I had to choose, I would do some research and pick the one that holds its resale value better.
__________________
http://www.prizebeatz1.com
#16
28th June 2012
Old 28th June 2012
  #16
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class
 
chessparov's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,362

chessparov is offline
Wink

IMHO the Studio Projects CS series is also a more than worthy contender as a neutral-ish LDC.

They may have some B stock/demo CS's left to sell on the manufacturers website still BTW.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the AKG 414 series (less bright ones generally), and the 4050 too.

Chris
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jyork13 / Low End Theory
16
Gerax / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
3
andychamp / So much gear, so little time!
4
jrevenko / So much gear, so little time!
24

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.