1. Google Variety of Sound
and download all plugins - I Use: BootEQMKII
: love using the modern tube to add low end harmonics to cheap SDC mics DensityMKIII
: It just sounds good whenever I use it as a group comp for instruments Ferric TDS
: Award winning tape sim...nice on the master output TesslaSE
: Adds some fat transformer mojo...can be dangerous
2. Stillwell Plugins
(Trial version is unlimited, but you should support this guy): 1973
: "One trick pony" - can be good, or overdone Rocket
: From a sonic point of view, best Free/cheap 1176 comp. Not as transparent as the Waves CLA stuff, but you can mix the uncompressed sound in right through the plugin, to make is more subtle!. The graphic layout is a bit obscure IMO. Transient Monster
: This thing is insanely useful.
3. George Yohng W1 Limiter
- I A/B'd this with Waves L1.....It sounds so similar, I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit
4. Pitch Corrector: GSNAP
5. Antress Modern Plugins Lost Angel
: A couple years ago I demo'd this against The Waves CLA2A, T-Racks Opto, and Line6 LA2A. To my surprise, the best 2 were the Waves (1) and the Modern Lost Angel (2). The only downside is that Antress plugins is prone to crashing some DAWs.
Honorable Mentions: BlueNoise - free drum plugin
(can't remember the exact name, sounds similar to Superior Drummer 1.0) Spitfish
: If you don't have a De - Esser, this works....
- Degrades the high end too much. I can see where that might tame overheads though... Classic Comp
- not enough transient control - it's to "mushy" right away...but good for certain Effects Antress Modern Seventh Sign
- Sounds better than Roughrider, but not great compared to Waves CLA and really really buggy.
It's kind of crazy to think you can get decent approximations of 1176, LA2A and Fairchild style compressors for free