Earplugs under headphones
Old 1st June 2012
  #1
Gear nut
 

Thread Starter
Earplugs under headphones

I just received some Senn HD201s and cheapo washable hearos earplugs yesterday, and I tried listening to music through them with the earplugs in and EQ countering the earplugs' response, which is given on the box (a few points). I was using Itunes so I couldn't eq very accurately, but even what I did with Itunes made the music very listenable (up to +12 dB at high frequencies). It seems like a good tactic when tracking a band with drums and DI guitars. Could save people some hearing.

So is anybody actually doing this?
Old 1st June 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTCrazyTieGuy View Post
I just received some Senn HD201s and cheapo washable hearos earplugs yesterday, and I tried listening to music through them with the earplugs in and EQ countering the earplugs' response, which is given on the box (a few points). I was using Itunes so I couldn't eq very accurately, but even what I did with Itunes made the music very listenable (up to +12 dB at high frequencies). It seems like a good tactic when tracking a band with drums and DI guitars. Could save people some hearing.

So is anybody actually doing this?
Interesting, no, but I just happen to have a set of 201s; might try this on the weekend when we rehearse.

I have heard of some other slutz using chainsaw muffs with earbuds for monitoring while tracking with excellent results, especially the drummer.
Old 1st June 2012
  #3
I've done that for many years tracking my guitars on "11".

It paid off, the results from last weeks hearing tests showed excellent hearing with little loss from age or damage. If you get to 60 and have that good of hearing, you've done it right.

If not, well maybe you can do something about your kid's hearing loss.
Old 1st June 2012
  #4
Gear nut
 

I like using earplugs under my headphones too. Even if I'm not recording--if I'm just playing drums along with some music--I use plugs so I can turn up the headphone volume loud enough to be heard over the instruments without going deaf.
Old 2nd June 2012
  #5
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_T_Music View Post
I like using earplugs under my headphones too. Even if I'm not recording--if I'm just playing drums along with some music--I use plugs so I can turn up the headphone volume loud enough to be heard over the instruments without going deaf.
Same hear. 30+ years playing drums and my hearing is still in very good shape.
Old 2nd June 2012
  #6
Gear maniac
 

I almost always have fitted plugs with -25db filters in when tracking drums (playing the drums myself). Having click as loud as I need it without plugs would be bad
Old 23rd August 2012
  #7
Gear interested
 

Sorry if I'm breaking some rule by responding but this is one of the few threads I've found that addresses a problem I'm having.

I'm a 19 year old drummer on a music scholarship and recently had a bout of tinnitus in February. I immediately got some ES-49 Westone earplugs with -25dB Etymotic filters. I just started playing drums again last week (first time in 7 months) and got myself a pair of Extreme Isolation EX-29 -29dB headphones. Although the headphones aren't as good as the earplugs, the combination of both works wonders while rehearsing.

I've noticed I've had to turn up my iPod to 50-70% to 'kind of' hear the track. I'm concerned about recording in the future and don't want to have to turn things up too loud, but it seems to be the only way. Even if you turn up the volume in the headphones, will the earplugs attenuate and filter the sound from the drums and the music in a safe manner (i.e. the drums are at 95-100dB and the headphones are going at 85-90. Not sure what that would be compounded, but would that by about 65-75 going into your ears or more?).

Thanks for any insight any of you can give.
Old 24th August 2012
  #8
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Interesting, no, but I just happen to have a set of 201s; might try this on the weekend when we rehearse.

I have heard of some other slutz using chainsaw muffs with earbuds for monitoring while tracking with excellent results, especially the drummer.
I do this. Vocal recording....wipes out any bleed through. Of course I look like an idiot because it looks like I'm wearing headphones that say "Winchester" on them LOL..



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 2
Old 24th August 2012
  #9
Anyone heard of IEMs?
Old 24th August 2012
  #10
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToNever View Post
Anyone heard of IEMs?
are you trolling?

I would bet that the majority of people here are familiar with in ear monitors but this is low end theory, so shelling out the money for a decent pair is probably not a very high priority.
Old 24th August 2012
  #11
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 



With decent IEM's in the $100-$200 range, I think it's worth considering.

With about 30dB of isolation, you won't need more (unless you are in an indoor range shooting big-bore magnums...).



-tINY

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
tamasdragon / So much gear, so little time!
41
Meg Lee Chin / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
168
klaukholm / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
16
Matt Hepworth / Low End Theory
17
FFTT / So much gear, so little time!
3

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.