Why not buy a cheap compressor?
New Reply
Subscribe
nickjmk
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear interested

Why not buy a cheap compressor?

I'm thinking of buying a cheap compressor, mainly to use as an insert between my preamp and A/D converter while recording vocals, mainly. The products in my price range are the Behringer Composer, DBX 266/166XL/XS and the Alesis 3632, all of which have been bashed pretty severely by you gearslutz. My question is, what makes these units 'bad'. I know they wont stack up to Distressors and 1176s but but what are the inherent flaws of these cheap outboard units?

Thanks
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Nothing wrong with a "cheap" compressor if you like what it does.

Don't forget to check out the ART Pro VLA II. Perfect for what you want to do with it. Definitely performs well over its price. Lots of studios have them and use them even when more "expensive" options are available.

If it sounds good, it is good.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjmk View Post
I'm thinking of buying a cheap compressor, mainly to use as an insert between my preamp and A/D converter while recording vocals, mainly. The products in my price range are the Behringer Composer, DBX 266/166XL/XS and the Alesis 3632, all of which have been bashed pretty severely by you gearslutz. My question is, what makes these units 'bad'. I know they wont stack up to Distressors and 1176s but but what are the inherent flaws of these cheap outboard units?

Thanks
The dbx's you mention to me are indeed bad. Like, sound like shite and will make your signal a fluffy blob. I guess an old (german made) Composer isn't the anticrist. Not tried the Alesis.

But if you want cheap for the mentioned purpose I recommend a dbx 160xt or x or a. They sound nice and you won't outgrow it, just prioritise it for different things over time perhaps. Unlike a 266 or 166xl, which once you realise what it does you will want to loose faster than a turd down the toilet.
nickjmk
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCruiser View Post
Nothing wrong with a "cheap" compressor if you like what it does.

Don't forget to check out the ART Pro VLA II. Perfect for what you want to do with it. Definitely performs well over its price. Lots of studios have them and use them even when more "expensive" options are available.

If it sounds good, it is good.
Hmm, looks quite sexy, I'll have to look into it, cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
The dbx's you mention to me are indeed bad. Like, sound like shite and will make your signal a fluffy blob. I guess an old (german made) Composer isn't the anticrist. Not tried the Alesis.

But if you want cheap for the mentioned purpose I recommend a dbx 160xt or x or a. They sound nice and you won't outgrow it, just prioritise it for different things over time perhaps. Unlike a 266 or 166xl, which once you realise what it does you will want to loose faster than a turd down the toilet.
This is my problem, can you use some descriptors that actually give me an idea of the sound? XP
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Geariophile

Quote:

This is my problem, can you use some descriptors that actually give me an idea of the sound? XP
Not sure which comp you're referring to but as this is so very subjective anyway I'll keep it to 166/266xl = plastic, cheap, not believable sound = not useful, 160xt/x/a = hairy and musical sound with character = useful.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to Gretsch 6120
Quote:

Thanks
I picked up a Behringer MDX 2600 for Christmas, and although it's had limited use so far--mostly due to the fact that I've not recorded too much in the past few months--it's proven pretty handy. It has lots of cool features, and I think it will come in handy for live use as well.

Chris
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear interested

Cheap compressors should not deter you..its what you do with them that counts!
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear interested

Nothing wrong with cheap compressors, but there's a lot of better options out there. RNC, Pro Vla... older Ashly and symetrix are great! Do a search... there's many threads on this subject!
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to ivmike
I've used (and still own) an original DBX 166, an ART VLA II (with NOS Mullard Tubes) and a Behringer MDX2200; each one has worked well and has done its job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill brown View Post
Keep it simple - get good sounds at source - do not rely on all the technology. Go with your instincts/gut feeling. Don't mic too close.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

A ProVLA will be useful even alongside much more expensive compressors.. it's definitely not a crappy sounding piece and can be picked up for $250 new and a lot less used.
"Seriously, there's a certain kind of creative inspiration that can come from exploring the outer limits of a musical instrument. Now days the limits are so vast that it can be difficult to set boundaries." --spargee
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The products in my price range are the Behringer Composer, DBX 266/166XL/XS and the Alesis 3632, all of which have been bashed pretty severely by you gearslutz.
I don't see anyone bashing the 3632. Unless you mean the 3630?
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Check out Aphex 661 as well. Great comps and even better when jim williams mods it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Gearslutz App

Credits
Some of the music I have been part of.

Risen Drums
Custom drum company I co-own. I wont pimp our drums here unless you ask.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Well, why do you want to track with compression?

It makes no sense when recording in 24-bit format, unless you have only one good compressor that you want to use on multiple tracks.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
Well, why do you want to track with compression?

It makes no sense when recording in 24-bit format, unless you have only one good compressor that you want to use on multiple tracks.
Actually, it totally does, if you are going to do it anyway, and if the performer likes to sing into it to interact with it (like most....). Still, the compressor is largely viewed as only a dynamics controller, when really it is mainly a dynamics maker.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yeah lots of reasons to track with compression.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

I've grown fond of cheap comps from doing live sound, where they simply get the job done.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Head

I was SO lucky I bought a Pro VLA for my first compressor. It still sits proudly among my newer, "better" gear. I still use it everyday.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

fmr rnc is a good sounding cheap compressor?
fmr rnla is a better good sounding cheap compressor.
as others said, vla is a good sounding cheap compressor
however i would put more money and buy either fmr pbc or gap comp54 which are cheap priced, but expensive sounding compressors
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
I've used (and still own) an original DBX 166, an ART VLA II (with NOS Mullard Tubes) and a Behringer MDX2200; each one has worked well and has done its job.
So many 166 variants. I have an older 166A and I think it's a pretty decent little unit. The Symetrix 501, too...

Although, I've heard the XL variants are pretty bad, I haven't used one. I wonder if all the negative hype they get is deserved?
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear nut

My first compressor was an Alesis 3630. Granted, I didn't know what the heck I was doing, but regardless of which knob I turned, and which direction I turned it, my mix sounded like crap (I was using it on the stereo bus)! Then, I hit the bypass button, and everything sounded fine again. Needless to say, I got rid of it.

A short time later, I bought a Behringer Composer MDX2200, and found it to be much, much better. It was much more subtle, and I was able to actually use it on my mix without destroying it. I still own that MDX2200, and still use it occasionally for live sound.

But for not much more money, I'd still probably direct you to an FMR RNC, or an ART Pro VLA II (both of which I also own today).
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

For just tracking any cheap compressor is fine. Heck you could even route a plug-in compressor for the singer in the headphones if that's all that is needed for tracking.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
For just tracking any cheap compressor is fine. Heck you could even route a plug-in compressor for the singer in the headphones if that's all that is needed for tracking.
I'm assuming you mean just for monitoring while tracking, as opposed to printing the compressed signal............
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, it totally does, if you are going to do it anyway, and if the performer likes to sing into it to interact with it (like most....). Still, the compressor is largely viewed as only a dynamics controller, when really it is mainly a dynamics maker.
Well, I'd call it a dynamics killer.

Speaking from my experience it is vay more difficult for the performers to control their own dynamics if they have compressor in their monitoring chain.
But even if some wants to hear compressed vocal, you can insert the compressor in the monitor path. You don't need it on the input.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
Well, I'd call it a dynamics killer.

Speaking from my experience it is vay more difficult for the performers to control their own dynamics if they have compressor in their monitoring chain.
But even if some wants to hear compressed vocal, you can insert the compressor in the monitor path. You don't need it on the input.
You don't need it on the input? lol......

Sure, you could also record both, one straight and one with compression, only I don't often feel to bother unless maybe a VERY dynamic singer comes along.

It's only a dynamics killer if you set it wrong. Set right it becomes a dynamics influencer in the positive.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

The entire point of using a compressor is to limit the dynamic range, not enhance it.

Set modestly, I wouldn't say it kills it, but it is supposed to reduce it.

Its a tool. Use it if you need it.

I also wouldn't call it a dynamics maker. It will reduce dynamic range to some degree depending on settings, period.

It may help evoke a better performance if a singer likes how it sounds in the cans, but that doesn't mean it is enhancing dynamics.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCruiser View Post
The entire point of using a compressor is to limit the dynamic range, not enhance it.

Set modestly, I wouldn't say it kills it, but it is supposed to reduce it.

Its a tool. Use it if you need it.

I also wouldn't call it a dynamics maker. It will reduce dynamic range to some degree depending on settings, period.

It may help evoke a better performance if a singer likes how it sounds in the cans, but that doesn't mean it is enhancing dynamics.
It's an enveloper. It doesn't just stop the sound getting louder than x. It influences the shapes the sound pulls when it ebbs and flows. And yes, to my mind this is prime territory to enhance dynamics in a musical sense. As in, make the dynamics behave more musically.

Yes it's a tool. But if you think of compressors merely as "those things that reduce dynamic range" you're missing out on the most fun bit of the party.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it's a tool. But if you think of compressors merely as "those things that reduce dynamic range" you're missing out on the most fun bit of the party.

Ciro
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear Head

the 3630 is a really bad compressor and will destroy your signal but the 3632 is pretty decent i used it on some screamed vocals and really compressed the **** out of it and it gave a really good result to it im going to try it on some drum tracks in the next few weeks hopefully so ill be able to see
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear addict

it's like buying a cheap hooker. she may do the job but....yeah, okay i'm old and insensitive.

g
nickjmk
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the response guys, very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijome07 View Post
I don't see anyone bashing the 3632. Unless you mean the 3630?
I know the 3632 is considered better than the 3630, but it still didn't seem particularly well received. Is the 3632 worthwhile?

A few of you guys have said the Composer is decent, is this the case with the current model, the 'COMPOSER PRO-XL MDX2600'?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search