HELP!! Hooking Project Mix IO to Prsns Firestudio Tube
New Reply
Subscribe
RealMattKiefer
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Gear interested

HELP!! Hooking Project Mix IO to Prsns Firestudio Tube

Im currently recording with a Presonus Firestudio Tube. A buddy of mine has an m-audio Project mix that he is willing to sell me for cheap.

I REALLY am excited about the control surface aspect of the PMIO, but am hesitant to make the purchase if I cant hook up the PMIO to the Firestudio tube to extend the amount of mic ins (would allow me 18!!)

My FSTUBE doesnt have any ADAT/Lightpip connectivity, only allows firewire connectivity and Line ins and Outs...Can i daisy chain my PMIO to FSTUBE via Firewire and use either as my slave/master and still have full fader control with PMIO?

Am I better off selling the FSTUBE(really like this piece dont want to!!) and getting a Digi mix and buying my buddies PMIO? I know the mic pres on the PMIO run hot, so recording drums on the PMIO would be out of the question....The bummer to the digimax is it doesnt have any Line ins...thus not allowing me to run my mic/instruments into my outboard pres/compressors and into the Line ins on the digimax :(

Can someone please provide some professional help?? Gearslutters pro opinions are my only hope!!!!

All helpful input is TRULY valued and appreciated!!
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Gear addict

Hey, I owned a PM and sold it about 6 months ago. I've used it for some years, but with external AD/DA and external Pre's because frankly... The sound quality of the PM is not that good. (To say the least) Altough I never used or heard a Firestudio, I can't imagine it being worse than the PM, so sound quality wise, I think you'd be taking a step down to go the PM route. You can't daisy chain the PM, btw.

If you're looking for a control surface, a better option would be that Icon controller or a MCU. (PM is non expendable). Then If you need more inputs, maybe daisy chain your Firestudio with another Firestudio. Then in the future, you can upgrade your pre's / converters separatly from you control unit, if you wanted to.

How much do you want to spend? Do you need more i/o or is it more an upgrading path?
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah View Post
Hey, I owned a PM and sold it about 6 months ago. I've used it for some years, but with external AD/DA and external Pre's because frankly... The sound quality of the PM is not that good. (To say the least) Altough I never used or heard a Firestudio, I can't imagine it being worse than the PM, so sound quality wise, I think you'd be taking a step down to go the PM route. You can't daisy chain the PM, btw.

If you're looking for a control surface, a better option would be that Icon controller or a MCU. (PM is non expendable). Then If you need more inputs, maybe daisy chain your Firestudio with another Firestudio. Then in the future, you can upgrade your pre's / converters separatly from you control unit, if you wanted to.

How much do you want to spend? Do you need more i/o or is it more an upgrading path?
Thanks for helping out! My problem is that I want to extend my amount of inputs for recording, live tracks. 10-12 mics for drums, 2-3 mics on a guitar a cab and 2-3 inputs for bass cab and D.I.

I also am needing a control surface for mixing out of the box in pro tools.

Im thinking im definitely going to get the MCU and either an additional firewire interface or 8 input rack mount fire wire pre and daisy chain it with my FSTUBE, or sell my FSTUBE and buy a Firestudio and Lightpipe it with a Digimax or the Art Tube Pre Ive been reading up on, to extend out to 16 I/0's. Its just imperative that I have enough Line ins so i can run some outboard chains ala: tube pre for over heads, tube pre and tube compressor for snare and kick, etc. etc.

Your THoughts?

Thanks again for the help!
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear addict

The thing with this model of Presonus you have, is that it is only expendable with a select number of Presonus products. An ideal upgrade path would be something that uses common connectors (spdif / TOS / AEB, etc) so you're not committed to one brand.

Do you already heave outboard (tube) pre's or are you referring to the ART series? The ART tube pre's with exception of the MPA series is mostly a starved plate design and therefore not the best sounding option in the world. If we're talking about interface and pre amps, I would look at the M-Audio Profire range, or get something with Black Lion Audio. (By the way, with an ART tube pre you won't get 16 outs.... ;-) It's only in and you also need the outs for sending stems... so you can route your signals in and out the box and compress when mixing and not while tracking.)

If you have some money to burn and you want something that lasts you for a while... I'd probably get a used Motu 24 I/0, some used ART products (MPA Gold, VLA(2) compressors), used GAP73 pre, RNC, etc. etc. (see where I'm going here?) Get some killer budget mics (Kel Audio, CAD, Stellar, MXL v67, etc. etc...) and then... if budget allows.. a control surface. Seriously I sold mine and got a faderport (one channel) and haven't missed my control surface one second. Go for sound first... And buy used!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search