D6 inside kick, Beta 58 at sound hole
New Reply
Subscribe
dcmetro768
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

D6 inside kick, Beta 58 at sound hole

So, this is my first post thought an avid reader. Here's me deal. This is a live application installed a church. I want to experiment, but being the kit is in a drum booth, moving stuff around isn't the easiest. I have a D6 that sometimes I love, and other times I hate it. It definitely is clicky and cuts through a mix, but lacks the roundness. And then of course the opposite for the Beta. Very round and earthy. So, I've thought, why not run them both since I have plenty of room on my iLive desk. I was thinking the D6 mounted in the drum with the Kelly Shu, and then the Beta 52 mounted at the sound hole. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone think this combination blended properly could be a winner?
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear addict

do you mean a Beta 58, or a beta 52?
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

It's a different take on an old classic. I use two mics for the kick drum, one for the "boom" and one for the "click". The D6 and Beta 52 (and their contemporaries) are designed to be a single mic that excels at capturing both parts of the kick drum sound. So in theory, using one would eliminate the need for two mics on the kick. In practice however, it doesn't always work that way. Hence why so many studios use the two mic setup. These kick mics you mentioned are more popular for live settings, but do find their way into many studios.

So your theory is sound in based in conventional wisdom. I would agree with you and say the Beta 52 would be better outside and the D6 better inside the kick, but who knows? As anyone with some extended live or recording experience can tell you, you really won't know for sure until you try. So give it a try and tell us what you find out!
dcmetro768
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

And yes I meant Beta 52.

I do agree that modern mics are meant to be a solo act, but as we all know, these 2 mics clearly have a different sound signature. I know some folks use either of these on the insider or outside of the drum, so my thoughts were to try to use both of them in what I perceived their best positions to capture what they are both good at. click, and roundness respectfully.
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear addict

For live sound, I usually throw a 52 in the kick, making sure it's aimed off-axis (outer head has a giant sound hole, probably helps). I put the pad on, crank the pre and EQ some 250 or so out, and boost some 1-2K for the click. Gives me a nice, crisp thump IMHO, my $0.02

However, two mics can always give a better or more appropriate sound. I'd say make sure the mics are phase coherent if you're using them at the same time, shift 'em around and switch polarity as needed

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search