Does zZounds play as you pay check credit?
Old 25th April 2012
Gear interested

Does zZounds play as you pay check credit?

I'm kinda new to audio recording and I know what I'm doing but i wanna upgrade from using a 57 to a good condenser mic and i can't afford a lot so I was thinking of getting the blue bluebird from zZounds and using the pay as you pay feature but I don't have the best credit so I don't wanna waste time trying to get something if they don't approve me for to buy it
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

IIRC they only do if it's over $1000.00.
Old 25th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmusicman505 View Post
I'm kinda new to audio recording and I know what I'm doing but i wanna upgrade from using a 57 to a good condenser mic and i can't afford a lot so I was thinking of getting the blue bluebird from zZounds and using the pay as you pay feature but I don't have the best credit so I don't wanna waste time trying to get something if they don't approve me for to buy it
The poster above claims that IRC does not check your credit unless the purchase is over 1k. That may be true, but my understanding is that every lender will by standard protocol check your credit. Nevertheless, just call up zzsounds and ask the representative straight up. If they do, depending on how bad your credit score is, you still may be able to get approved for a $300 purchase. Whether it’s worth the gamble to you to have that credit check show up on your record (i.e., you don’t want more than one or two credit checks per year reflected on your credit record because it makes your score go down) is up to you, but at least you’ll know.

That said, I have the Blue Bluebird and like it a lot, but I don’t know that I’d necessarily suggest it as a first LDC….It certainly wouldn’t be the worst you could do, but for less money you could cover as much ground IMO. I would consider something in the $100-$150 range, and just pay cash or straight out of your bank account (CAD M179 or Studio Projects B1/B3). Even a used MXL v67 or a new SP-1 can be had for $50 to $80 and will probably fit your needs right now.

I never recommend going into debt for gear. The sm57 is a great workhorse mic IMO, and you can do a lot with it. Don’t put yourself “behind the 8 ball” so-to-speak over the Bluebird or any other piece of gear. Get one of the aforementioned mics; start tracking, and this will buy you time to save up for the Bluebird later. When you finally have it you’ll really appreciate what it can do, but you will still be happy to own your CAD, Studio Projects, MXL, SP-1, etc., and it will remain a permanent staple in your mic locker for a long time (i.e. it will be a good yet small investment that you won’t regret in the long term).

Chris
Old 25th April 2012
Gear interested

my credit blows and my first order from zzounds was probably about 700 bucks. i doubt they checked my credit.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDamn View Post
my credit blows and my first order from zzounds was probably about 700 bucks. i doubt they checked my credit.
I use the three payment from AMS and Zzounds a lot. I find that it's cheaper then using a credit card because I know myself well enough to know that I may pay the minimum.

It costs $10 to use three/five pay and you're forced to pay it off quick

I have bought tons of stuff under $1000 and it was never a problem - never even got a phone call the stuff just shipped.

When I bought guitars ($1400 and $1700) I had to give my ss# and have a credit check. I asked and AMS told me it was for items over $1000.00.
Old 25th April 2012
It’s a matter of personal choice, and I don’t mean to come off preachy or anything. I’m a 38 year old musician who’s been playing music since I was a kid. I fell into the credit trap in my 20’s and paid for it in my early 30’s…still am to some degree….Point is, I learned the hard way, and if I can help others avoid some of those pitfalls that’s worth coming off a little pompous or preachy, I suppose.

Just be careful, and if you decide to go the credit route in order to get the Bluebird then good luck. It’s a nice mic, and I think you’ll enjoy it. However, I still think you’d do just as well with one of the less expensive options I mentioned above….In other words, if I only had one LDC I’d rather it be the Studio Projects B1 than the Bluebird…the Bluebird is more of a specialty mic, IMO.

Chris
Old 25th April 2012
Gear interested

Thanks guys, and I actually have used LDCs before. I took a recording class in high school and there they had the AT4040 and the MXL 4000 and I also used the 990 which I borrowed from a friend so I do have some experience. But I'm only 18 so I don't have too much money to buy some pricey mic at the moment but my band wants to do some recording and I have an interface and some decent SDC's and a few 57's and 58's right now
Old 26th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I bought a GAP Comp 54, AKG C214 mic, AT4040 mic a CAD Trion 6000 Mic and a Mandolin there.... i had no credit..... they do ask for your social security number......
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear
Jesus f-ing Christ. The words "I can't afford it" tell you all you need to know. Gear is not a need, it is a want. It's not a house, a car, or an education. DON'T GO INTO DEBT.

I wish I could say I was sorry for being harsh, but im not. Truth hurts.
Old 26th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

listen to the man...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post
Jesus f-ing Christ. The words "I can't afford it" tell you all you need to know. Gear is not a need, it is a want. It's not a house, a car, or an education. DON'T GO INTO DEBT.

Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Agreed 100%. Stay debt-free. The Studio /Gear is often the hungriest mouth to feed. It is constantly craving, even for the smallest snack. Debt makes the joy of recording heavier and less enjoyable at the end of the day. I wouldn't want that karma in my life for any reason at this point in my career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch 6120 View Post
However, I still think you’d do just as well with one of the less expensive options I mentioned above….In other words, if I only had one LDC I’d rather it be the Studio Projects B1 than the Bluebird…the Bluebird is more of a specialty mic, IMO.

Chris
I find the Blue-Bird great for all applications myself. I can't think of any 'specialty' it would be used for in my situation. I find it to be a great full-bodied, expensive sounding mic with much more character than so many budget mics. It works very well on VOX and Acoustic. If I were going to spend $150 on a mic, I personally would wait and save and get the $300 Blue instead, even if I were just starting out.

I am grateful to have slowly weeded out my lower-enders over the past several years. 15 years ago all you could get were more expensive LDC mics and so I bought them much more sparingly and my recordings demonstrated that quality (even old ADAT recordings I listen to now even though I had much less experience). With the introduction of MXL, Sterling and Studio Projects etc. a few years ago I found my hungry studio had several really great bang for the buck mics, but none of them quite having that 'special' something. The bluebird is the only exception for me amongst those.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post

On the other hand....If you're serious about getting into recording and this is not just a fun hobby, buying gear is very much a "need." But only you can determine how much you want to invest in yourself.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

You guys make it sound like if I get it this way I'm gonna be in debt but I have about half the money for it now and I would have the rest in a couple weeks. I could wait till then and use my buddy's mxl 990. He has a good collection of mics and we're pretty good friends so it's no problem. I just figured if I'm gonna record for my band having a pricier mic would mean better quality sound.
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Your plan of borrowing mics is much better. If the Mic is going to make you money, buy it in a few weeks when you have the money to pay for it straight up. If it's not going to make you money, borrow whatever you can (I mean equipment, not money!) When you record. Arranging your songs better, improving your writing, and maximizing the use of what you have will pay off more in the long run than a $300 Mic. I'm another one who has been there done that with credit and debt, still getting out of that mess with very little to show for it, but haven't borrowed a cent in over 3 years, have no credit cards open any more, and writing through the remaining 3 stupid debts do my family can build a real life. Boring? Maybe, but I look forward to the day when I can buy any gear I want, in cash, because my other obligations are paid. Dave Ramsey in full effect (almost full effect) and proud of it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Another thing, check out the sm57 mod where you remove the transformer. Takes just a few minutes and sounds amazing afterwards. All it costs is a little bit of time.

Old 26th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
Another thing, check out the sm57 mod where you remove the transformer. Takes just a few minutes and sounds amazing afterwards. All it costs is a little bit of time.

I wouldn’t recommend this if the 57 is your only mic right now because 1) you may not like the results, and 2) if you screw it up then you’re SOL.

$300 isn’t a big deal, but you’ll probably want another preamp and maybe a comp too. In recording/engineering one thing ALWAYS leads to another. If you’re not going to starve or lose the roof over your head, then whatever…just be careful and best of luck to you in all your endeavors.

As for the comments about the Bluebird being a utility mic, it really is but not as much so as some of the others I mentioned before IMO. I think it does really well on acoustic guitars and as a vocal mic for some voices, although it’s not mid-forward and possesses scooped mids…not necessarily a bad thing and perfect for some things….About a month ago I tried it as a single OH, and it was freaking amazing…probably my favorite OH mic right now….

But on my voice, as a go-to vocal mic, “eh.”….My main vocal mics are a Violet Black Doly, an SM 7b, Studio Projects C3 and TB1, and an MXL 2003a. But, it I only had to pick from a Bluebird and the old trust Studio Projects B1—which was my primary LDC for years—in most cases the B1 would win out for my voice…not always but the majority of the time. For a couple of years the B1 was my primary go-to mic for lots of different things, and it always got the job done….of course, it was only $99 brand new back then (2003), and I got mine directly from the Studio Projects website as a “B stock” for $75, which was ridiculous considering how good that mic really is. It served me very well until I could afford to add some additional mics to my locker.

Anyway, that’s all I’m saying. The Blue Bluebird is an excellent mic and easily worth the $300 price tag. In fact, my wife bought mine for me for Christmas of 09 and got it for $250 brand new from an online vendor.

Chris
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search