AT2035 - Wow!
New Reply
Subscribe
fireberd
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

AT2035 - Wow!

I have a "low budget" home studio. I've been using various mic's including a couple of MXL990's, a MXL V57M and various Shure mic's including a Beta 58. I've got by but really needed a better vocal mic. I got the AT2035 from a credit I had with Musician's Friend and after testing and comparing the AT2035 to other mic's that I have there is no contest, the AT2035 wins.

I tested the AT2035 on both male and female singers, through a Presonus Blue Tube preamp, to my main recording interface unit - a Roland Octa-Capture, and their "natural" voice came through on both. The MXL's, through the same setup, tended to be too "trebly" or over emphasized the highs. The Beta 58, although probably not a valid comparison to condenser mic's, tended to be bassy compared to the condenser mic's.

I realize the AT2035 is not a "high end studio vocal mic" but it is an upgrade for my studio.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Association
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Audio Technica makes several darn decent mics for us low enders. No modding, no BS, either you like it or you don't, but they have something that will work well for most anything. Wait til you try something in the 40 series!
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

More proof that something doesn't need to cost thousands to be a good tool. I own three of the 3035's, use them on more tracks than any other mic I own, including vocals. On an album project several years ago, a friend was kind enough to lend me a nice variety of high end mics...u87, u47, C12, 414, unknown model Telefunken. We did a vocal shootout with all mics through various pres. The 3035 won. If a particular mic complements a given source the best, it's the best mic. Here's what I use the 3035's for: vocal, piano, drum overheads, electric guitar, upright bass, tenor and alto sax, violin, viola, nylon string guitar (prefer my 4050 for steel srings). Go buy another 2035, you'll get a lot of mileage out of a pair of them.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear addict

Among all the Drogonflies, Avensons, Oktavas, 4021s, KSM 32s, and a host of other mid priced mics, it is simply amazing how many times our two pairs of 3035s end up being the go to mics. They are winners.

Best.
Byll
fireberd
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

The 3035's have been discontinued, according to the AT site.
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 3035's have been discontinued, according to the AT site.
Yes, which makes me love mine even more. They still show up on ebay, some people just don't care for them....why, I don't know.
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Gear addict

A few years ago when Audio Technica was playing a numbers game, they deep-sixed their 30 series, and expanded their 20 series. The 3035 and 2035 are for all practical purposes, the same mic. I think their point of origin is different.

Best.
Byll
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
I've loved every AT mix ive come across. They only get better!
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byll View Post
A few years ago when Audio Technica was playing a numbers game, they deep-sixed their 30 series, and expanded their 20 series. The 3035 and 2035 are for all practical purposes, the same mic. I think their point of origin is different.

Best.
Byll
this is true I think. ATs original mics were japanese while everyone else was building in china. I woudl suspect that the 20x series is chinese, not japanese, although this is just a wild guess of business logic, not any actual research on the current series manufacturers.

however yes, originally AT was a japanese company which is part of what made them quite superior to the chinese mics OF THE OLD DAYS (although long ago chinese mics have become really good, of course).

Just a bit of history, not probably all that useful to the thread, but my 2 cents worth.
fireberd
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

The 2035 I got was made in Taiwan.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
The 2035 I got was made in Taiwan.
that jives with what I thought...20xx (and maybe 30xx) series from china, 40xx from Japan, more or less.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

30 series are Japanese also. 20 series was the entry for Chinese production.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
If a particular mic complements a given source the best, it's the best mic.
+1

I'll never forget a certain female vocalist I recorded in school - I tried a ton of different mics to find out which was best for her voice... Neumann U87, TLM 193, AKG 414... the winner was the AT2020. It just had a bit of a dirty quality that worked perfectly for her, and brought out all of the rawness of her voice, and sat perfectly in the track. They are great mics!

-MIke

Mike Fowler

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3451358

reverbrecording@gmail.com
www.mobileadrny.com
fireberd
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Having been stationed in Taipei Taiwan, when I was in the Air Force, I don't consider Taiwan as "China".
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Good point fireberd!
fireberd
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

In reality they probably are the same or very close but are different Countries. Just like I have a lot of friends in Madison and Hendersonville, but they don't live in "Nashvul".
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I have a "low budget" home studio. I've been using various mic's including a couple of MXL990's, a MXL V57M and various Shure mic's including a Beta 58. I've got by but really needed a better vocal mic. I got the AT2035 from a credit I had with Musician's Friend and after testing and comparing the AT2035 to other mic's that I have there is no contest, the AT2035 wins.

I tested the AT2035 on both male and female singers, through a Presonus Blue Tube preamp, to my main recording interface unit - a Roland Octa-Capture, and their "natural" voice came through on both. The MXL's, through the same setup, tended to be too "trebly" or over emphasized the highs. The Beta 58, although probably not a valid comparison to condenser mic's, tended to be bassy compared to the condenser mic's.

I realize the AT2035 is not a "high end studio vocal mic" but it is an upgrade for my studio.
How do you like the Roland Octa-Capture? Is the latency & stability really as good as advertised, because there don't seem to be that many reviews or owners of it. I can't decide between the Octa-Capure or Motu's Ultralite Mk3.

Cheers!
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
this is true I think. ATs original mics were japanese while everyone else was building in china. I woudl suspect that the 20x series is chinese, not japanese, although this is just a wild guess of business logic, not any actual research on the current series manufacturers.

however yes, originally AT was a japanese company which is part of what made them quite superior to the chinese mics OF THE OLD DAYS (although long ago chinese mics have become really good, of course).

Just a bit of history, not probably all that useful to the thread, but my 2 cents worth.
Just to be clear I think you mean to say Audio Technica is a Japanese company. Their lower end models are made in China. Whilst the 40 series and above is made in Japan.
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Just to be clear I think you mean to say Audio Technica is a Japanese company. Their lower end models are made in China. Whilst the 40 series and above is made in Japan.
that IS what I said and meant, yes. however it's been made clear that the 30xx series is also made in japan.

and also, as I originally implied, chinese mics these days are as good as japanese in the results you can get. probably why the 30xx series is discontinued and the 20xx series is taking off. cheaper to make, more profit, lower end user cost, equivalent sound.
fireberd
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Distro, for my use, latency is not an issue. I don't remember what I have it set at, but I'm not having any latency problems. The Octa-Capture was a replacement for a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and I can say "I don't miss the Saffire Pro 40". I also have an MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R and the Octa-Capture has become my primary unit for Sonar, the MAudio Fastrack Ulra 8R is used with Pro Tools MP9.

Equipment Guru, Craig Anderton, has an in-depth review on Harmony Central.

I tested the Octa-Capture with a 30 day trial of Pro Tools 10 and there was no problem setting it up in Pro Tools 10. Comparitively, I tried setting up the Saffire Pro 40 in PT10 and had a lot of problems and without Sweetwater Music's support I would have never got the Saffire Pro 40 to work in PT10 (Focusrite tech support was no help trying to get it setup).
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear interested

I got lucky, the 2035 was one of my first pieces of gear and I had no clue what I was buying. It remains my only mic and I'm happy with the results I get from it but feel like I'm missing out on something. Am I just falling for the marketing of higher price mics? Has anyone owned an AT2035 or similar, then bought a more expensive mic and really benefitted? I suppose I should hire some high end ones and see for myself. Nonetheless I'd like to hear about it if you have. I've posted a clip so you can hear where I'm at. The mic is only capturing the vocals and acoustic guitar although the guitar is barely audible.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 AT2035.mp3 (1.53 MB, 631 views)
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear maniac

I bought a pre 73 for my 2035. I feel like that is one of the best bets for a low ender. People are always impressed by the quality I can get, although the mix is also a factor.
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
In reality they probably are the same or very close but are different Countries. Just like I have a lot of friends in Madison and Hendersonville, but they don't live in "Nashvul".
I live in "Hendersonvull"
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maunse View Post
I got lucky, the 2035 was one of my first pieces of gear and I had no clue what I was buying. It remains my only mic and I'm happy with the results I get from it but feel like I'm missing out on something. Am I just falling for the marketing of higher price mics? Has anyone owned an AT2035 or similar, then bought a more expensive mic and really benefitted? I suppose I should hire some high end ones and see for myself. Nonetheless I'd like to hear about it if you have. I've posted a clip so you can hear where I'm at. The mic is only capturing the vocals and acoustic guitar although the guitar is barely audible.
I've listened to your song. I LOVE IT! I really liked the singer's voice (+ those nice harmonies in the chorus). If AT2035 is only voice and acoustic guitar then what did you use for other tracks?

The recording didn't seem to capture enough presence in the vocal though. The voice sounds distant and a buried. You can try bringing it up more, but it probably is the MICROPHONE. Even though AT2035 seems to be a GREAT mic FOR THE PRICE I don't think it compares to high-end mics.

I'm pretty sure that if you could get there with a $100 mic people wouldn't be spending thousands, just to get the same results...
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear maniac

Maybe he could use an exciter to unbury the vocal. The mic isn't all to blame. Mixing can solve a lot of the short comings of the mic.
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabianski View Post
I've listened to your song. I LOVE IT! I really liked the singer's voice (+ those nice harmonies in the chorus). If AT2035 is only voice and acoustic guitar then what did you use for other tracks?

The recording didn't seem to capture enough presence in the vocal though. The voice sounds distant and a buried. You can try bringing it up more, but it probably is the MICROPHONE. Even though AT2035 seems to be a GREAT mic FOR THE PRICE I don't think it compares to high-end mics.

I'm pretty sure that if you could get there with a $100 mic people wouldn't be spending thousands, just to get the same results...
Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. The other tracks are all Logic stock instruments except the electric guitar which is a Strat DI'd. I have been told in the past (on other songs) that I have the vocal too low in the mix so maybe I should just turn it up a bit. I think you must be right about high end mics. I shall look into hiring some. Thanks again.
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Maybe he could use an exciter to unbury the vocal. The mic isn't all to blame. Mixing can solve a lot of the short comings of the mic.
I've only ever used an exciter on Bass, never thought of trying one on the vocal. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for your input.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Sometimes...

But thinking that you can just eq a $100 mic and make it sound like a Brauner or Manley is ridiculous. First of all, fixing every single frequency that the cheap mic didn't get right is impossible; and even if it was possible it would take way too much time...

A great mic on the other hand can sound "radio ready" with barely or NO eq at all!

Listen to those shootouts (there's one with tubes, one with FETs, and one with dynamics):
Microphone Shootout, Tube - YouTube
They have a great vocal chain... but still, some mics sound so good right off the bat!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing budget mics at all. They have their place and come in handy sometimes (and AT makes some outstanding quality/price mics). Getting the vocals "right" seems to be the most difficult task though...
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maunse View Post
I've only ever used an exciter on Bass, never thought of trying one on the vocal. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for your input.
Post it here when the changes are done. I'm curious about how much difference they can make.

You have a NICE song and singer to work with though, so your job is that much easier
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Also I love my AT 4040 to death
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search