Potential microphone regret
PT416
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear interested

Potential microphone regret

Hey guys, Today I went into Long and Mcquades to grab an Audio Technica AT2020. It was priced at 99$. They have great service so I asked the guy working for his opinion. He told me to go with the Art M One instead. Exact same price. I took his word for it and bought it. Now I'm trying to get some reviews on it but it seems to not have many reviews on the net. Did I make the wrong choice? I have 30 days to return it and go with the AT2020 instead. Trying it out wont help because I have nothing to compare it to.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Head

Hello,
are you waiting for others opinions to know if you're allowed to like or not the mic? Try it, if you like it keep it, if not return it.
PT416
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolenti View Post
Hello,
are you waiting for others opinions to know if you're allowed to like or not the mic? Try it, if you like it keep it, if not return it.
I have no experience with either mic. I'm trying to get the most info before I make the decision to keep it. That's like saying if I like a Honda Civic for 20000 and I can get a better car ie. BMW for the same price but I don't know anything about a BMW I should just keep the Honda Civic.

Basically, I have no experience with the Audio Technica AT2020. So even if I like this one whats there to compare it to, u know?
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT416 View Post
I have no experience with either mic. I'm trying to get the most info before I make the decision to keep it. That's like saying if I like a Honda Civic for 20000 and I can get a better car ie. BMW for the same price but I don't know anything about a BMW I should just keep the Honda Civic.

Basically, I have no experience with the Audio Technica AT2020. So even if I like this one whats there to compare it to, u know?
They both suck. But the 2020 is useable, quick tip about buying stuff, do your research and never trust the salesman trying to move some old dusty mic that no one has bought for 2 years.

but in reality, do you like it? Yes or No?
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

It's a fairly new mic so it won't have many (if any at all) reviews.
I sympathize with you.....my first condenser was an AKG c3000b (I'm guessing this is your first?). Having no prior reference point with any other LDC's, I really didn't even know what to listen for. And GS wasn't even around then lol.
I never realized how harsh that AKG was until my wife got me an AT4033 for my birthday a few years later. But I made some decent recordings with it.

Beginnings are always tough.

Yeah, try it out.
PT416
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear interested

Alright thanks a lot for the advice I'll let u guys know how it sounds.. I didn't even wanna bother opening it because if you guys told me right off the bat that I got ripped, I could just return it easily. But Ill give it a try and see what its like. I know for sure it's an upgrade over the Behringer B1. So I'm scared that I might like it, but wouldn't know how to compare it to the AT2020 because I have no experience with it.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Keep it, make music. You probably won't be able to really tell the difference yet anyways. When you get the the point where the mic is keeping you from getting the mixes you're hoping for, then it'll be time to upgrade and you'll know it.
PT416
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear interested

There's a buzzing sound right off the bat.. I'm gonna record tomorrow when nobody's sleeping. Then I'm gonna go return it and get the AT2020 and do the same thing. Ill post the results because there isn't much info on this mic for anybody else who has a similar issue. Thanks for the help
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear addict

Mics almost never cause any hum or buzz, unless there's something REALLY wrong with them (which is unlikely).

I would troubleshoot your system before blaming it on the mic. $0.02
PT416
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear interested

You guys are about to hear what is probably the dumbest things i can do with a mic lol.. I was recording on the wrong side.. turned it around.. recorded. Amazing. I think I'm in love. My Behringer had a hum, this mic on the other hand is pretty damn solid. Just a side note though, the front of the mic looks like the back.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Cool...glad you like it
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You guys are about to hear what is probably the dumbest things i can do with a mic lol.. I was recording on the wrong side.. turned it around.. recorded. Amazing. I think I'm in love. My Behringer had a hum, this mic on the other hand is pretty damn solid. Just a side note though, the front of the mic looks like the back.
Maybe a bit dumb but probably more common that you think! I've done that with a new mic, got this horrible phasy sound and I'm thinking my new mic is broken. Anyway now I know what it sounds like when you sing into the opposite side of a cardioid mic...
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
the front of the mic looks like the back.
I had a girlfriend like that..........
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Specs indicate that the M-One is a FET mic, and it has a lower self-noise (higher S/N ratio) than the AT2020. Maybe you done good.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Alright thanks a lot for the advice I'll let u guys know how it sounds.. I didn't even wanna bother opening it because if you guys told me right off the bat that I got ripped, I could just return it easily. But Ill give it a try and see what its like. I know for sure it's an upgrade over the Behringer B1. So I'm scared that I might like it, but wouldn't know how to compare it to the AT2020 because I have no experience with it.
Why would you assume either mic an upgrade from the Behringer B1? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the Behringer B1 (more so of the Studio Projects B1), but I'm thinking this is more of a lateral move than anything.

If it were me--and this is just me--I would take the mic back, ask them for store credit, save up another $100 or so, and then buy a better mic that would fit my long term needs. You'll be much happier in the long run. In the short term, just make the best of the B1. There are people on this board and around the net who rave about how good it is and can be with some mods.

Best regards,

Chris
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

A) dont go by what everyone else says, try it yourself.

Your room, your chain, your voice, your circumstance may make it good or bad for you and no one else's opinion means squat if it works for you...

(and in 6months or less you'll be itching for new gear anyway; that's the way this game works.)
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
never trust the salesman trying to move some old dusty mic that no one has bought for 2 years.
Off topic....when I was first in OP's position I went in to the local family owned music store knowing nothing about microphones. Nothing.

He sold me a KSM32.

I thank him every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCruiser View Post
Yeah.
PT416
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear interested

thanks for the help everyone.. to the people telling me to see for myself I guess that's what it boils down to. The only reason I'm really seeking opinions is because right now I'm such a newbie that I don't want to make stupid decisions and waste money that I barely have lol

Quote:
lol i guess the keyword being 'had'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch 6120 View Post
Why would you assume either mic an upgrade from the Behringer B1? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the Behringer B1 (more so of the Studio Projects B1), but I'm thinking this is more of a lateral move than anything.

If it were me--and this is just me--I would take the mic back, ask them for store credit, save up another $100 or so, and then buy a better mic that would fit my long term needs. You'll be much happier in the long run. In the short term, just make the best of the B1. There are people on this board and around the net who rave about how good it is and can be with some mods.

Best regards,

Chris
You know what I was planning on doing that. Only reason that I bought this one was because I have my first mixtape dropping in a week and I wanted to record things on something better than the behringer. To be honest the B1 was giving me a terrible high pitched vocals. But maybe after I'm done and get more cash I'll return this one and get a better mic. I have 30 days to do so. Anything you can suggest that's an upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
Maybe a bit dumb but probably more common that you think! I've done that with a new mic, got this horrible phasy sound and I'm thinking my new mic is broken. Anyway now I know what it sounds like when you sing into the opposite side of a cardioid mic...
lol man i feel like im losing it.. but now I don't know what the front or back is. The side that looks like the front is giving me maybe a 3/10 volume on my software which is ok because the vocals sound smooth..
other side is giving me like 8/10 volume but vocals are a bit less smooth.

does the side with the high volume mean its the right side to record on? It's the same side with the blue light.. or is it the other side.. which has the logo and mic name and is more smooth..
I know one day ill look back at this question and laugh but right now its serious
YT354
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
YT354

High volume is probably the right side. The harshness might be from singing too close to the mic and overloading it.
PT416
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT354 View Post
High volume is probably the right side. The harshness might be from singing too close to the mic and overloading it.
but that's so weird man. what's throwing me off is the fact that the low volume side has the logo.. :S and the high volume side just has a circle and a bar code at the bottom.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

Seems like the logo and LED should be on the same side of the mic….this was on ART's product description:

As a cardioid condenser microphone the M-One picks up only sound directly in front of the mic while sounds from sides and back of the microphone are rejected increasing isolation and delivering controlled directionality.

In live sound and remote recording applications, the ART M-One's cardioid pattern offers excellent feedback rejection and better isolation and will give you the best results on most vocal applications and a wide range of solo instruments including background brass and woodwinds, acoustic stringed instruments (violin, viola and cello), drums and percussion. It offers full frequency response at the front of the microphone with a very controlled and predictable proximity effect - the increased low frequency response when microphone is placed close to sound source. (Vocalists can use the proximity effect to their advantage, adding fullness and more 'bottom end' to the voice. Experienced vocalists can easily incorporate it as part of their overall microphone technique.)

As a condenser microphone, the ART M-One requires phantom power to operate. A subtle recessed LED under the gold capsule behind the microphone windscreen will illuminate when phantom power is present, and the microphone is operational.
PT416
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Seems like the logo and LED should be on the same side of the mic….this was on ART's product description:

As a cardioid condenser microphone the M-One picks up only sound directly in front of the mic while sounds from sides and back of the microphone are rejected increasing isolation and delivering controlled directionality.

In live sound and remote recording applications, the ART M-One's cardioid pattern offers excellent feedback rejection and better isolation and will give you the best results on most vocal applications and a wide range of solo instruments including background brass and woodwinds, acoustic stringed instruments (violin, viola and cello), drums and percussion. It offers full frequency response at the front of the microphone with a very controlled and predictable proximity effect - the increased low frequency response when microphone is placed close to sound source. (Vocalists can use the proximity effect to their advantage, adding fullness and more 'bottom end' to the voice. Experienced vocalists can easily incorporate it as part of their overall microphone technique.)

As a condenser microphone, the ART M-One requires phantom power to operate. A subtle recessed LED under the gold capsule behind the microphone windscreen will illuminate when phantom power is present, and the microphone is operational.
lol that's so weird. mine has that little upside down heart symbol on one side with the blue lazer thing.. and the other side has the ART M One logo with the upside down triangle. LOL I'm starting to feel like I got some kinda bootleg thing going on over here. (doubt it) .. but yeah so I guess the side with the blue light is the side to record on. Thanks so much for posting that it does help a lot.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear addict

I think the AT2020 is the only piece of gear I have bought new and then sold. I keep gear, almost always, but the AT2020 never really fit into any space. I kept the AT2021 SDC that came in the package.

I do expect the AT2020 would be good for voiceovers, general sound reinforcement, maybe some ambiance, but I found it was never particularly flattering on anything I tried it on.

Mind you, I'm no expert and haven't a great deal of sources to puzzle over and try a variety of mics on. But I seriously have, like, no mic collection at all to speak of -- and yet sold this one because I didn't like it.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear maniac

I'm not familiar with the Art mic, but I think I agree with another post that said this sounded like a lateral move and not an upgrade (or maybe we'll all be raving about the Art as a secret weapon in a year!) There have been lots of posts on Gearslutz lately about the Sterling 77 and what I good deal it is for the price. It's still on sale at GC and if you add their current 13% discount it would come to around $175. I wouldn't tell anyone else what to do--but if you can scrape together another $75 you'd most definitely be upgrading from the Behringer.
Here's the link to tempt you!
Sterling Audio ST77 Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Mic | GuitarCenter
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_The_Rodent View Post
I do expect the AT2020 would be good for voiceovers, general sound reinforcement, maybe some ambiance, but I found it was never particularly flattering on anything I tried it on.
Yeah that's what I feel about the AT2020 too, it's really a no thrill mic with a "flat" response. However I have used it on percussive instruments and it handled quite gracefully the acoustic pressure level
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

I just bought an AT2035 and it is working good for my applications. I had some cheap MXL mic's before and the 2035 is a noticeable upgrade.

As far as a salesman at a music store moving "duds", I was going to buy a Shure Beta 58 mic, to use for my wife (live - on stage). She was using an SM58 but the Super Cardioid offered a reduced pattern which would help as I had to run her mic hot. The guy suggested a Samson that he said "was equivalent to the Beta 58" for $50 less. Surprisingly the Samson worked out good (it's been 4 years).
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

In regards to the 2020, I found it quite usable for two years of doing demos for bands out of a home studio. The sibilance issues shat me up the wall, so I invested in a U87 style mic for vocals a while ago and I'm pretty happy with how things are going with that now. The 2020 served its purpose and filled my niche requirement, a solid mic and very versatile for the price. If you can reign in those sibilant parts with a de-esser and/or pair it with a flavorful preamp you'll be sweet
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
It's a fairly new mic so it won't have many (if any at all) reviews.
I sympathize with you.....my first condenser was an AKG c3000b (I'm guessing this is your first?). Having no prior reference point with any other LDC's, I really didn't even know what to listen for. And GS wasn't even around then lol.
I never realized how harsh that AKG was until my wife got me an AT4033 for my birthday a few years later. But I made some decent recordings with it.

Beginnings are always tough.

Yeah, try it out.
Great thing we have the internet.

Without it i'd have been screwed.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captshiznit View Post
Great thing we have the internet.

Without it i'd have been screwed.
Yes this site can be very informative for those of us who want to get an idea about a piece of gear before we take the plunge. It's also fun sometimes just to talk to other music lovers and recording enthusiasts
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

The AT2020 did rather well in this shootout Sound On Sound did.
Vocal Mics
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search