JoeMeek - new Q2 series
widgetloc
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Head

JoeMeek - new Q2 series

New Q2 Series - PMI Audio Group Forums

JOEMEEK OneQ2 Studio Channel Strip | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

I Really think Allen Hyatt is out of the loop about what you can get now days for 1200 dollars.

List of upgrades to the original Joemeek Oneq include:

1.A new cinemag transformer 40-50 bucks
2.Burr-brown Opa2134 x 18 at 3 dollars retail 54$
3.XLR Transformer permanently follows the THAT 1510 amp (SAME DESIGN AS THE OLD VC1Q) simple circuit change price 0$
4.The line input now flows threw the transformer after the op amp, simple circuit change price 0$

total cost to up grade 104$ dollars new price 1199 up from 729

Now remember the Oneq is a pure IC based channel strip No Discrete or Class A components at ALL, nothing cost over 75 dollars under its hood. Same poor quality AD converters

Now consider your options for under 1200$

1.Focusrite ISA ONE 499
2.GAP pre 73 350
3.GAP Comp 54 399
4.ART PRO VLA2 299
5.FMR rnc 200
6.GAP EQ 73 299

Any combination of the following products will get you better results than the Joemeek offering at a lower price point. I own the original Oneq which i feel is a good product but suffers from poor quality construction, It has broken down 3 times in 3 years and lacks Gain structure of its older brother the VC1Q.

Joemeek was founded on the best bang for buck principals which it no longer operate by, Now its all about how much they can make for the least amount spent
Attached Thumbnails
JoeMeek - new Q2 series-oneqcircuits.jpg  
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Gear addict

Well...
Once the split with Mr. Fletcher happened the desire to achieve high quality results over there evaporated quickly and was replaced by the desire for a greater profit margin.

IMHO

Last edited by manysounds; 7th April 2012 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: twist the knife
widgetloc
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by manysounds View Post
Well...
Once the split with Mr. Fletcher happened the desire to achieve high quality results over there evaporated quickly.

IMHO
I agree 100% Alan Hyatt is a compulsive liar, i heard him once say that the NEW MC2 is better than the old original SC2, Not only that he swears that Oneq
smokes the VC1Q which is all fabrication, i will never buy another Joemeek product again after they try to rape the public with slightly upgraded products.
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

I pretty much agree with the sentiments here. However, there are a lot of companies that have been doing the same thing for quite some time. I am not saying that makes this move by Joemeek okay or anything like that. It is simply one more company in a long list of companies placing profit above product. Mackie certainly comes to mind, as does Gibson.

And I do not mean to come off as a communist. There is nothing wrong with making a profit. But the original post on this thread that breaks down the costs of everything certainly sums up the cost versus profits. Obviously we do not know their operating expenses, advertising, labor and so on, but we can assume there is plenty of wiggle room put into that new product for profits.

Anyway, it's looking like Joemeek will be best had from the used market going forward.
widgetloc
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
I pretty much agree with the sentiments here. However, there are a lot of companies that have been doing the same thing for quite some time. I am not saying that makes this move by Joemeek okay or anything like that. It is simply one more company in a long list of companies placing profit above product. Mackie certainly comes to mind, as does Gibson.

And I do not mean to come off as a communist. There is nothing wrong with making a profit. But the original post on this thread that breaks down the costs of everything certainly sums up the cost versus profits. Obviously we do not know their operating expenses, advertising, labor and so on, but we can assume there is plenty of wiggle room put into that new product for profits.

Anyway, it's looking like Joemeek will be best had from the used market going forward.
Agreed Joemeek will become a dead brand at that price point what was he thinking?
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetloc View Post
Agreed Joemeek will become a dead brand at that price point what was he thinking?
I guess they are thinking more $$$! I am sure uninformed purchasers will still be convinced to pick the gear up. At least for awhile. Not me, though.
22nd July 2012
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear interested

Well, I bought the original OneQ years ago. It has performed well, but my modded GAP PRE-73 is a definite improvement. I've found out which Cinemag is used for the new series, but have yet to confirm which opamps are in it (there are 23 JRC072D's in the original). I assume OPA2134's, but is it actually confirmed? Did they change the JRC13700D to Burr Brown, as well? If so, to which transductance amplifier from BB? What about the circuit wiring changes? Would any of the internal pots need to be retweeked? Is the original transformer a 1:10 ratio, too? How do I implement these changes with no available schematic? Sorry for all the questions, but inquiring minds want to know... well, I want to know... Thanks.

-James-
22nd July 2012
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear addict

Joemeeks still lives on as TF-pro.
22nd July 2012
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Joemeeks still lives on as TF-pro.
I'm not sure how this answers my questions. Is the TFPro the same as PMI owned JoeMeek line? I was under the assumption that TFPro was an older design than what the newer incarnation of JoeMeek is. Is there a set of upgrades to the TFPro that would apply to the OneQ? Thanks for any clarification.

-James-
22nd July 2012
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear maniac

I'm with widget there are many better offers out there for the price.

The two Joe meeks I had were both noisy, to noisy in fact to use in the studio.

OK for live gigs tho to add a bit of harmonics to synth bass or keys for example.
keep shinin

jerm
22nd July 2012
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear interested

No noise problems with my JoeMeek OneQ. Just a bit grainer and less 3D than the modded GAP Pre 73. I figured, since BB opamps cured this in many of my electronics mods, that it would improve my OneQ, as well. Are there any schematics available? I have yet to find one through normal channels. Thanks.

P.S.- I love the mid foward sound, and the transformer is nice. I almost always leave it on (especially on metal kick). It complements the slightly scooped C12-style mics really well.

-James-
22nd July 2012
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear maniac

That is some well researched and presented JoeMeek hate. Impressive.
23rd July 2012
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear interested

No hate here. I just don't want my gear to be of lesser quality than what is now available. Especially when it should only cost about $100 to rectify the situation. Any circuit info would be greatly appreciated.

-James-
23rd July 2012
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount View Post
That is some well researched and presented JoeMeek hate. Impressive.
Very similar to what I was thinking. Disgruntled ex-employee maybe

Kidding.
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellfireStudios View Post
Is the TFPro the same as PMI owned JoeMeek line?
No.
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012
Gear interested

I didn't think so...
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012
Gear interested

Ok. I think I've settled on my solution. I intend to replace the JRC072D opamps with Burr Brown OPA2134's (all 23). I'm going to leave the original transformer in place becuase I like its flavor, and don't want to rewire for the Cinemag. I'm also leaving the JRC13700D and the THAT Corp. 1510 chips in place. Does anyone see a problem with my plan? Any potential pitfalls I should be warned of? Thanks.

-James-
widgetloc
17th September 2012
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellfireStudios View Post
Ok. I think I've settled on my solution. I intend to replace the JRC072D opamps with Burr Brown OPA2134's (all 23). I'm going to leave the original transformer in place becuase I like its flavor, and don't want to rewire for the Cinemag. I'm also leaving the JRC13700D and the THAT Corp. 1510 chips in place. Does anyone see a problem with my plan? Any potential pitfalls I should be warned of? Thanks.

-James-
did you ever mod your ONEQ?
pjk
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
pjk
Gear Head

Quote:
I agree 100% Alan Hyatt is a compulsive liar, i heard him once say that the NEW MC2 is better than the old original SC2, Not only that he swears that Oneq
smokes the VC1Q which is all fabrication, i will never buy another Joemeek product again after they try to rape the public with slightly upgraded products.
I suppose it is open to opinion and subjective but to me the main fundamental problem with the pmi meeks is the compressor. The compressor was the reason the old models were so characterful and it was a very impressive optical compressor. I have the old vc1 and the C2 - both great. The C2 offered the same style of compression as the vc1 (in stereo as well) but did lack the real excitement and sparkle of it (even with the exciter off on the vc1) when pushed.
It was said that the same sound could be had on the new models as the old models by knocking the attack right back and messing with the input gain. I have a pmi mc2 and after comparative listening at many different settings i found it impossible to get the old meek sound (even the C2 sound) from the new model. The attack just seems too fast even at its lowest setting (or is it just more obvious when it kicks in) and its release is obvious in comparison. It is a much more aggressive compressor and seems less transparent and has more grain to it (ie less smooth) and a flatter sound when pushed. The mc2 still has its uses though - its stereo widening function is fantastic and its good on aggressive rock vocals, but anyone who thinks its good on a drum buss or parallel should try out the old meeks. Contrary to popular opinion it seems, i actually thought the old models were really smooth and relatively transparent (if a little dark) but what they did add was warmth and when pushed excitement (the vc1 at least).
I think its a real shame the old meeks stopped production but i suppose they just didnt make enough to keep afloat. Last time i checked, tfpro had gone more upmarket and versatile and just offered a setting on the unit that mimicked the old meeks but from speaking to others around here they seemed to think it was not exact.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

cheap premiums

widgetloc
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Head

oneq2 upgrade

I recently had a chance to breath some unexpected life into my Oneq since mr HYATT refuses to offer a reasonable upgrade from the Oneq to q2, Crazy part is they use the exact same chassis the only parts you would need to replace is the bottom main board (with the newer components installed) and get 8 burr brown 2134s for the two top boards that connect via ribbon cable here are some pics of the operation
Attached Thumbnails
JoeMeek - new Q2 series-main-board.jpg   JoeMeek - new Q2 series-guts.jpg   JoeMeek - new Q2 series-ina217.jpg   JoeMeek - new Q2 series-pip.jpg   JoeMeek - new Q2 series-chasis.jpg  

widgetloc
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Head

I used the Jim Williams PIP swap out the THAT 1510/INA217 pre amp chip and all i can say is thing sounds amazing, ALL the FLATNESS has been washed away by this little magic box so far only 50 bucks spent, Next i will install a Jensen JT 16-a to complement the PIP CHIP that will cost 100 bucks extra, I am leaving in all the TL-072 beacause i believe they have the least impact on the sound and was advised to never use 2134s in a EQ section, I am betting that this 150 dollar upgrade will be better than than the new Q2 series fingers crossed i will keep you posted.
widgetloc
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Head

to my knowledge there is nothing i could do for the compressor
pjk
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
pjk
Gear Head

Quote:
to my knowledge there is nothing i could do for the compressor
I know nothing much about electronics but i know the optical element in the new meeks is a different one from the old meeks and seems to act faster and in a different way.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierquam View Post
And the Fletcher stuff sells at pretty reasonable prices. I have a small collection of various pres. Unfortunately, Ted seems to be ending the TFPro line and focusing on his Orbitsound product. As he says on his website, he is old and doesn't have time to concentrate on more than Orbitsound, but he still supports any former product of his design for a small repair fee (25 British pounds I think it is), which is pretty cool of him to do.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Head

Didn´t they take the iron-switch away at some point? It´s there in Q2 again but fourth from left. In my original it´s the second. That´s progress I guess.
I´ve only done one acoustic hobby-project through it and have no complaints. Then again, I don´t really know any better.
One thing tends to bug me though. The meter switches. Why two? They are latching types so one should have sufficed for two choices. Does some highly regarded Neve have this, that must then be emulated, in search of credibility or something? Or is off an important position?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Comment made in very poor taste. Alan Hyatt is not a liar. He just has his OWN opinion and of course, it is a completely biased one, but that does not make him a liar.

I had the VC7 and SC2 but let them go. I personally don't rate the new or old Joe Meek ranges. I wouldn't stand one way or the other and certainly wouldn't call someone a liar for preferring the new or old range.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used the Jim Williams PIP swap out the THAT 1510/INA217 pre amp chip and all i can say is thing sounds amazing, ALL the FLATNESS has been washed away by this little magic box so far only 50 bucks spent, Next i will install a Jensen JT 16-a to complement the PIP CHIP that will cost 100 bucks extra, I am leaving in all the TL-072 beacause i believe they have the least impact on the sound and was advised to never use 2134s in a EQ section, I am betting that this 150 dollar upgrade will be better than than the new Q2 series fingers crossed i will keep you posted.
On a side subject, since you brought it up, I have been VERY curious about the PIP from Jim Williams. I made a bunch of THAT1512 preamps in the pasty year and they sound pretty great to my ears... but I am messing around with the chip in some ways that changes up the overall circuit and have been very happy with the results. I want to try some PIPs in my next round of preamp experimentation. Thanks for mentioning them here and giving me a reminder to go that way next. I expect very good things.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierquam View Post
...I think I heard that before someplace!
widgetloc
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strand-old-man View Post
Didn´t they take the iron-switch away at some point? It´s there in Q2 again but fourth from left. In my original it´s the second. That´s progress I guess.
I´ve only done one acoustic hobby-project through it and have no complaints. Then again, I don´t really know any better.
One thing tends to bug me though. The meter switches. Why two? They are latching types so one should have sufficed for two choices. Does some highly regarded Neve have this, that must then be emulated, in search of credibility or something? Or is off an important position?
The iron switch only runs the DI threw the transformer after it hits the THAT 1510 amp, This adds different tonal characters to the sound more like a clean vs dirty signal.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search