i need cheap amp modeling
New Reply
Subscribe
SGX
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear Head

i need cheap amp modeling

i need some amp modeling for guitars in my recording. maybe a free rtas plugin or something really cheap. i have a line 6 pod xt and a bass pod xt. but those only record in 48khz and i want to go through my interfaces preamps to get a good direct signal from my hellraiser. i dont have the cash on me right now for pod farm so does anybody know of a good amp modeling software thats free or like 10 bucks???
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear addict

Don't know about good, but Gearbox is free to POD and Guitarport owners, and will work as a plugin or rewire.
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear maniac

LePoulin

Browse around at guitarampmodeling.com
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

This site:

Plug-ins & effects / RTAS for Windows - freeware downloads

has some free RTAS downloads that include Guitar Rig Player and SansAmp PSA-1. I've used the SansAmp and it works okay. I wouldn't use it, or for that matter any plugin alone for my guitar tones, but mixed in with a real amp, it can give you a nice recording that's easy to dial in just the right tone.
SGX
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post
This site:

Plug-ins & effects / RTAS for Windows - freeware downloads

has some free RTAS downloads that include Guitar Rig Player and SansAmp PSA-1. I've used the SansAmp and it works okay. I wouldn't use it, or for that matter any plugin alone for my guitar tones, but mixed in with a real amp, it can give you a nice recording that's easy to dial in just the right tone.
thanks a lot
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear nut

Not for 10 bucks...

But iv had great results with waves GTR, sometimes its on sale. I got it for around 100$ including their prs DI box which is ok.

I hear its bundled other plugin bundles now like waves Gold if your considering getting Of those eventually
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Get Amplitube 3. You can download the free basic package which will give you some good sounding basic amp sounds and you can pay as you go to acquire more through the custom shop. They even have a demo period for in app purchases.
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear nut

+1 for Amplitube 3. Free is the cheapest price i know
SGX
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
Behringer V-AMP3 Next-Generation Virtual Guitar Amplifier, $108.99 from Amazon.

IMHO this thing beats any software modeler and competes directly with much higher priced hardware from Line6.

It has balanced outputs too, I like that, injects right into the patch bay. I've never used ANY of the stock presets, I always just jump in and create my own.

I have eleven Mesa amplifiers (including 3 dual rectifier heads) so I'm a bit of a tone freak for guitar. I know it's just shameful here on GS to mention Behringer for anything useful but the V-amp line is quite an impressive bit of hardware and software.

I have five V-Amps scattered between our two studios and we rely on them for all sorts of guitar tones. I like the LED ring around each knob to show you where the knob is set at the moment, this is a killer feature and makes it intuitive to operate like a real tube amp. Much better than squinting at tiny knobs on an LCD display IMHO.

Incidentally the price above (which I just got of Amazon) includes an external 16-bit stereo USB audio interface and some recording software. I threw the software away and gave the interface to one of the kids in an apt building near me but you could probably sell the interface on ebay for $20 and recoup a bit more of your investment.

You really need to read the manual to get the most out of these modelers. I wish it was easier/more straight-forward to activate the cab simulation. You also need to dive into software and set the reverb to a good type. After you do these things you'll be amazed by these boxes if you give them a chance. The reverb and effects are quite good regardless of price.

Don't jump to a conclusion this is a copy of a Pod. I've had several Line6 Pod gadgets and I like the user interface on the V-Amp much better.

A modeling preamp will never replace a REAL tube amp but these do a good job when you need a modeler and the price is extraordinary.

For a little bit more money you could get the Behringer V-Amp for Bass which also has quite a number of guitar amp models in it. That way you can record guitar and bass. Some of the bass presets are VERY good (but I will never tell what track I used them on :-)

The rack mount V-Amp Pro regularly sells on ebay for around $130 used. I got one at GC for $70 used, incredible deal. That was my first exposure to Behringer V-Amp technology, I bought it because it was so cheap. I bought all the others because I liked the first one so much.

I've had a lot of friends play through V-Amps in the studio and they were amazed and impressed at how good these boxes sound.

Best of luck in your tone quest, good music to all.
yes i am skeptical of the b word but the way u talk about it, you were already aware that many of their other products fail. i was looking for more software modeling because i hate trying to be mobile but having to carry the pod with me. not because of its size but it needs wall power intead of bus power PLUS it is a usb interface which is really annoying. but anything thats rack mountable is also a plus
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic View Post
Get Amplitube 3. You can download the free basic package which will give you some good sounding basic amp sounds and you can pay as you go to acquire more through the custom shop. They even have a demo period for in app purchases.
+1 Amplitube is as good as amp sims get and if you only need a few amps, which most people do you can't get any cheaper for one this high quality. It comes with a fender and a Marshall, I recommend adding an orange and the Hiwatt is awesome!
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgen View Post
+1 Amplitube is as good as amp sims get and if you only need a few amps, which most people do you can't get any cheaper for one this high quality. It comes with a fender and a Marshall, I recommend adding an orange and the Hiwatt is awesome!
currently downloading
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
POD xt has some usable stuff if it's dialed in right
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
LePoulin

Browse around at guitarampmodeling.com
Definitely. Find some nice cab IRs and you're all set!
SGX
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
POD xt has some usable stuff if it's dialed in right
i actually have like 5 tones that i would track with but i want to find a software for ultimate portability.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic View Post
+1 Really great and accurate modeling, and the custom shop let's you buy sounds as you need them.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

SGX
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleaf View Post
+1 Really great and accurate modeling, and the custom shop let's you buy sounds as you need them.
anybody got any other suggestions cuz i got cash in hand...
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGX View Post
anybody got any other suggestions cuz i got cash in hand...
Scuffman,Softube,Nomad Factory.

Buy a great Marshall[there are only 2 models....you have to work out which ones they are] head,then a 1x12" Celestion 25w Greenback in a solid sealed cabinet,put it in a cupboard if noise is a problem[smaller than a 4x12-similar tone] mic it with a 57/58 or any dynamic,and it will blow away ANY simulation SW, made today or tommorrow.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear interested

I know there have been quite a few heavier productions done with Lecto (LePoulin) from Chango Studios. It's a love or hate thing, but it IS amp modeling after all, so...

LePoulin - LePou Plugins: LeCto

I know it was already mentioned, just figured I'd give it another +1. There are some nice cab impulses you can find around as well. I've messed around with this plugin and found it more desirable than podfarm.

Nate
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Banned

14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGX View Post
i need some amp modeling for guitars in my recording. maybe a free rtas plugin or something really cheap. i have a line 6 pod xt and a bass pod xt. but those only record in 48khz and i want to go through my interfaces preamps to get a good direct signal from my hellraiser. i dont have the cash on me right now for pod farm so does anybody know of a good amp modeling software thats free or like 10 bucks???
Personally, I would plug your pod into any kind of amp and stick a mic in front of it. The electric guitar is a fairly narrow band of frequencies without a lot of definition. Being limited to 48kHz is the absolute last thing you should be worrying about, IMO (unless you're saying that your interface simply doesn't do 48k for some reason and you only like the sound of a DI signal). I've never used a speaker simulator that came anywhere close to using a live mic on even a cheap amp, and that includes one fed by a POD. Going through the speaker and usually mic helps get rid of the flat, 2D sonic image and gives a tone that mixes easier, even at low-volume.

Tube information and sales: ProAudioTubes@aol.com
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear nut

I have heard some great tones come from these free sims from Ignite
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
imho all of the products here can do good work.

biggest issues are that most presets have too much gain and such.

do'nt forget also that real sustain and real tone come from the interaction of the amp played loud within proximity of the guitar making sound in real time.

to track things right, play through an amp turned up loud, even one you don't like much, even with distortion controls set pretty low (preferably imho in fact), but track the clean guitar di, not the amp's sound.

then reamp with amplitube or any other product here.

the best amp sims (avid 11 and axe fx imho) are better for real time playing though.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear interested

On Native Instruments website you can download Guitar Rig Player for free. Only problem with Guitar Rig is that its pretty touchy and you have to work with it a lot to dial in the right tone, but if you have the time to mess with it, it works pretty well.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Rocket Scientist

Personally I can't stand the tiny bit of latency associated with guitar amp sim software I've used. Hearing that tiny echo is a constant distraction that kills creativity for me. I've never liked any Amplitube I've tried but maybe it's gotten better.

My solution has been tiny battery powered amps for travel. I got a used Roland micro cube for $25, it runs on six AA batteries which are available all over the world and it easily fits in my carry-on backpack. Zero latency.

Good music to you.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theronaldchase View Post
On Native Instruments website you can download Guitar Rig Player for free. Only problem with Guitar Rig is that its pretty touchy and you have to work with it a lot to dial in the right tone, but if you have the time to mess with it, it works pretty well.
agreed. GR, like a pod, can sound great but by default has far too much compression going on and sucks the dynamics out. it doesn't HAVE to, but the presets do that, just like with a pod.

if you're willing to work harder to get your sound than you would with a real amp, then affordable sims can be your friends.

if you pay $1000 (avid eleven rack) or $2000+ (axe fx) then you can get an amp sim that is so good you just plug in, plug the output into a pay or keyboard amp or your powered monitors, turn it up loud, and enjoy instant bliss (eleven rack) or download some amazing presets and enjoy near instant bliss (axe fx).

yea, same can be said for the others, but they always seem to take more tweaking than htat, even if you download great user presets, at least the older versions of the other products (I'm a little out of date I'll admit with soft ampsims although have used all of them in 2 year old versions so know pretty much where they were at then...). And pods etc will never get you as good sound as 11r, axe fx, or the very best plugin amp sims.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
Personally I can't stand the tiny bit of latency associated with guitar amp sim software I've used. Hearing that tiny echo is a constant distraction that kills creativity for me. I've never liked any Amplitube I've tried but maybe it's gotten better.

My solution has been tiny battery powered amps for travel. I got a used Roland micro cube for $25, it runs on six AA batteries which are available all over the world and it easily fits in my carry-on backpack. Zero latency.

Good music to you.
When is the last time you tried it? We now have officially license models from Orange, Fender, Soldano, Engl, Seymour Duncan, Fender and Jet City to just name a few. Oh and you get 24 gear models for FREE with AmpliTube 3 FREE.

Try it, the fact that these manufacturers license with IK Multimedia's AmpliTube says a lot for the quality of sound coming from our software.
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

amplitube was one of the first, maybe THE first, amp sim to not sound super processed and compressed when playing through it. It's always been much more of a real tube amp sim than the others out there which are more gimmicky. I don't own it now (although own other ik products and can vouch for the quality), but certainly it's a really good recommendation.

Most of hte best plugins have won one shootout or another. Definitely worth getting.

I happen to love the UI of the amplitube series also.

And you can get them on your iphone or ipad... cool way to practice, and technically you could even rehearse or, if you're nuts, gig using your guitar, ipad (and guitar jack adapter), and a stereo 1/8" adapter to 1/4" stereo output adapter into a DI into the PA.

crazy cool if you own an ipad.
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
A legend in my own mind

I've used Guitar Rig, and it's fun if nothing else But I posted here cause someone said Waves GTR was $100, but I just saw it online for like $50 (granted I can't find it again to post you a link). I would say try all the free ones (they're free, I mean... lol) If you're not satisfied with any of them, then start spending your money.
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
A legend in my own mind

I've used Guitar Rig, and it's fun if nothing else But I posted here cause someone said Waves GTR was $100, but I just saw it online for like $50 (granted I can't find it again to post you a link). I would say try all the free ones (they're free, I mean... lol) If you're not satisfied with any of them, then start spending your money.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search