good cheap dynamic mic for vocals and acoustic guitar
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

good cheap dynamic mic for vocals and acoustic guitar

looking for a good cheap dynamic mic for vocals and acoustic guitar before i step up to sm7b i need to know which would be a better investment to me according to my poorly treated room, a high end dynamic or condenser mic.

so i decided to first buy a cheap good mic from both categories and try them both on vocals and acoustic guitars before i open my wallet for high $$ mics.

so far i picked a studio projects C-1 and a rode nt2a for condensers

now im looking for a cheap dynamic mic to give it a go

so far my only choices are shure sm57 or sm58, i havnt got much experience with dynamic mics so every input from u guys would be much appreciated

my budget would be up to $150 new or used it doesn't matter, i prefer used.

remember guys i only need it for vocals(male vocal) and acoustic guitar (mostly guitar strumming)

my chain is hdspe aio >> ua solo 610 >> cubase
Old 31st March 2012
Gear nut

Heard a lot of good things about the SM48. It's cheaper than the 57/58, has lower output but smoother response.

For 150 i think you might be able to find a used Beyer M201.. which is a very nice dynamic with much better frequency extension than an sm57.
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

Wouldn't you just be better off shopping round for a used SM7. Can't be much more than $150-$200? If you want one in the long run anyway you'll end up spending less money if you just buy a used on now. The 201 is also a good suggestion. You could also look for used Heil PR30 or PR40. They are also very good dynamics.
Old 31st March 2012
serious amateur

Prodipe TT1? Much better than its price would indicate.

Prodipe TT1
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

If you don't have any dynamics then yeah go strait for a 57. The Audix i5 has a more hi-fi sound, and I made an ok acoustic track with that. But I much prefer the sm57 on vocals. I've actually never tried a 57 on acoustic...but I'm sure it would be fine.

BTW, you could use a condenser.....even in an untreated room. Just hang some heavy blankets up around it like a tent.

But again, if you don't have a dynamic yet, I would start there. You get more for your money with dynamics at that price.
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

I'd go for the EV 635a; it sounds amazing on pretty much any instrument. I've seen some people around here knock it on vocals, but it was good enough for James Brown, Percy Sledge, and Al Green amongst others - you can't really argue with that.
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear
Might I suggest the sterling audio st77? On sale at guitar center $300 off right now. For $180 bucks, you're getting a way nicer vocal and ac guitar mic. Love mine!
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post

so far i picked a studio projects C-1 and a rode nt2a for condensers

my chain is hdspe aio >> ua solo 610 >> cubase
Oh, I missed that part. So you're getting a condenser too...
And you have a solo 610 already....
You certainly won't have any problems driving whatever mic you go with
I still say go for the 57. And if you're also getting a condenser, the cool thing about that st77 (I've never had the pleasure) is that they have a generous return policy so you could send it back if you don't like it.
The AT4040 could be scored used for a good price, also. All AT40xx series mics are great on acoustic.
Also, an Octava MK319 is very nice and works great (in comparison to a lot of condensers) in an untreated room. I use mine on vocals sometimes and it's very smooth on that application. Haven't stuck it on acoustic yet....but a buddy borrowed it a few weeks ago and miked his Taylor with it and it really sounded great! And btw, he has no room treatment...just a few pieces of furniture and a carpeted floor.
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

For your budget you could get a Shure Beta 58a mic which is a fine dynamic vocal mic.

For your guitar, a small condenser is normally what gets used. I use a couple of AT ATM10a condensers on acoustic guitars with great results. I found them used for $30 each.

If you want to try a good cheap mic on your guitar and voice, get a GLS ES57 for $30. I use mine on live acoustic instruments all the time..
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgaudio View Post
Wouldn't you just be better off shopping round for a used SM7. Can't be much more than $150-$200? If you want one in the long run anyway you'll end up spending less money if you just buy a used on now. The 201 is also a good suggestion. You could also look for used Heil PR30 or PR40. They are also very good dynamics.
i think u havnt looked at the market for a while, cuz lately all what i see is used sm7b sold for almost $300 on ebay an around $260 here which is ridiculous cuz they can pay only $50 more and get brand new lol so yea thats why im tryna buy a cheaper dynamic mic within my $150 range to give it a go.

out of ur 3 recommendations which was did u think was best on acoustic guitars?
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post

Prodipe TT1
r u sure? dont mean anything but iv been reading alot about mics for acoustics and its very rarely that anyone comes up with that mic so i guess its not really popular? although the review about it on soundsonsound is really nice and i trust the reviews on that site, they r prefering on a md421 which is surprising
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

I bought both of my m201 for around $150 used.

Great mic (pronounced "Mike") for your application. Perhaps the best.
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
If you don't have any dynamics then yeah go strait for a 57. The Audix i5 has a more hi-fi sound, and I made an ok acoustic track with that. But I much prefer the sm57 on vocals. I've actually never tried a 57 on acoustic...but I'm sure it would be fine.

BTW, you could use a condenser.....even in an untreated room. Just hang some heavy blankets up around it like a tent.

But again, if you don't have a dynamic yet, I would start there. You get more for your money with dynamics at that price.
i appreciate ur input about the treatment arount the condenser

actually so far im set on AKG C414 (any model of it) for a high end mic, first cuz i LOVED the vocals and voice overs with it, second of cuz its gets really huge love here with folks tried it on acoustic guitars, so its kinda a workhorse for me
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

buddy ur the reason i bought the aphex headpod headphone amp and i LOVE it !! so im pretty much set for the m201 after ur comment ! :D
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
Oh, I missed that part. So you're getting a condenser too...
And you have a solo 610 already....
You certainly won't have any problems driving whatever mic you go with
I still say go for the 57. And if you're also getting a condenser, the cool thing about that st77 (I've never had the pleasure) is that they have a generous return policy so you could send it back if you don't like it.
The AT4040 could be scored used for a good price, also. All AT40xx series mics are great on acoustic.
Also, an Octava MK319 is very nice and works great (in comparison to a lot of condensers) in an untreated room. I use mine on vocals sometimes and it's very smooth on that application. Haven't stuck it on acoustic yet....but a buddy borrowed it a few weeks ago and miked his Taylor with it and it really sounded great! And btw, he has no room treatment...just a few pieces of furniture and a carpeted floor.
im even considering upgrading my pre to Great River ME-1NV so its a good thing knowing that these pres wont have any problem driving any of these mics
Old 31st March 2012
serious amateur

Quote:

Prodipe TT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
r u sure? dont mean anything but iv been reading alot about mics for acoustics and its very rarely that anyone comes up with that mic so i guess its not really popular? although the review about it on soundsonsound is really nice and i trust the reviews on that site, they r prefering on a md421 which is surprising
Just threw it out there because you said you anted to try an inexpensive dynamic. Not many dynamics generally get recommended for acoustic anyway.

This is an interesting little mic, and not just because of the price. It's surprised a lot of people.

Here are some other opinions: Prodipe TT1 Microphone
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Heil microphones
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

I think SM57&58 are a must.
Old 1st April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Just threw it out there because you said you anted to try an inexpensive dynamic. Not many dynamics generally get recommended for acoustic anyway.

This is an interesting little mic, and not just because of the price. It's surprised a lot of people.

Here are some other opinions: Prodipe TT1 Microphone
thanks, thats the first mic ill be buying and ill post my impressions about it once i get it
Old 1st April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
I think SM57&58 are a must.
how much do u think they should be used?
Old 2nd April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliejohn View Post
I'd go for the EV 635a; it sounds amazing on pretty much any instrument. I've seen some people around here knock it on vocals, but it was good enough for James Brown, Percy Sledge, and Al Green amongst others - you can't really argue with that.
The EV 635a is one of my favorite mics in my mic locker!
Old 2nd April 2012
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliejohn View Post
Personally I think the omni-directional EV 635 is very limited. First, it's an omni-directional mic so no proximity bass boost when working close up by the artist. It's omni so it's going to pick up more sound around it rather than in front of it. The 635 can also substitute as a hammer, it's a very rugged and simple mic.

I have no documentation that indicates the 635 mic was a favorite or regularly used by the artists you mention. James Brown was notorius for using whatever was available when he wanted to lay something down. Also, considering the artists you mentioned, any of them could sound great on just about any POS mic.

For the OP, please check out a plain old SM-58. We went through 10's of thousands of dollars of microphones looking for the right selection for our female artist. The Shure SM-58 had the sound we were looking for but we kept looking past it because it did not cost enough lol. Fortunately we were brought back to reality by a studio accident that caused us to give the SM-58 a fair try, it blew us all away when we heard her on the recorded track with the 58.

Another favorite of mine that does not cost much is the 70's Shure unidyne III like the 545 or PE-54, these models sound like they are fully eq'd and they regularly sell for well under $100 on ebay.

Use your ears and get what works for the sounds you want to record.

Good music to all!
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
Personally I think the omni-directional EV 635 is very limited. First, it's an omni-directional mic so no proximity bass boost when working close up by the artist. It's omni so it's going to pick up more sound around it rather than in front of it. The 635 can also substitute as a hammer, it's a very rugged and simple mic.

I have no documentation that indicates the 635 mic was a favorite or regularly used by the artists you mention. James Brown was notorius for using whatever was available when he wanted to lay something down. Also, considering the artists you mentioned, any of them could sound great on just about any POS mic.

For the OP, please check out a plain old SM-58. We went through 10's of thousands of dollars of microphones looking for the right selection for our female artist. The Shure SM-58 had the sound we were looking for but we kept looking past it because it did not cost enough lol. Fortunately we were brought back to reality by a studio accident that caused us to give the SM-58 a fair try, it blew us all away when we heard her on the recorded track with the 58.

Another favorite of mine that does not cost much is the 70's Shure unidyne III like the 545 or PE-54, these models sound like they are fully eq'd and they regularly sell for well under $100 on ebay.

Use your ears and get what works for the sounds you want to record.

Good music to all!
Each to their own I guess - when I found the 635a, I sold all my 57s and all but one of my 58s because, in my opinion, they just can't match the 635a. I'd go as far as to say that it is my favourite (and most used) mic that I own, and I own a lot of mics - some of which cost literally thirty times as much as the 635a.

It WAS used reguarlly by all three that I mentioned - I didn't come here just to bullshit so there's no need for accusations and confrontation. I'd go and find some examples but sadly, time is not on my side. I should also add that almost every muscian used at some point in the 60s and 70s - I just mentioned a a few that I knew had solid evidence supporting this. Even Motown had a couple hanging from the ceiling in Studio A, and I remember reading somewhere that occassionally they were used instead of the thousands of dollars worth of Neumann mics that they had.

+1 on the Shure Unidyne mics

Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

This may come as a surprise to you but there is nothing "better" about recording acoustic guitar or vocals with a condenser mic, just different.

The SM57 will be fine. Another nice mic that isn't too expensive is the Sennheiser E835. I've used both for both vocals and guitar. I also own Studio Projects condenser mics and some others. Sometimes, dynamic mics are a better option. If your room isn't the greatest, for instance.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Head

You really can't go wrong with a used EV RE 11, which can be had for about the same price as a used sm57. I much prefer mine over sdc's or ldc's for acoustic guitar. It's also great for vocals. The 635a is a great mike as well, but I find the re11 more versatile.
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

I concur with the RE11 suggestion. Great mic for application.

However, I still prefer the timbre of the m201 for this app over the RE11 -- the RE11 is a close second.
Old 3rd April 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

FWIW about a week ago brought my computer over to a buddy's place for him to review some impromptu recorded vocals of mine (recorded on Audacity).

Anyway...

On the cheap speakers we used, an oddball AKG D790(nice live mic) sounded really good, along with the EV 635a.

But when I got home and listened on a variety of headphones, and speakers-that's where the 635a shone excellently. The EV vocal selections translated well on EVERY playback system tried, but the AKG was too "thick" on some of them, and fine on others.

Chris
Old 3rd April 2012
If you can be patient and add $50 to your budget watch the guitarcenter.com's used site. I got my SM7b for $200 in very nice condition but I waited 2-3 months to find it though.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Will you be using it in a live situation, too?

Henk
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Yep.
Great for acoustic.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search