Fostex 80 or 4 track Cassette
New Reply
Subscribe
Trashcan
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear interested

Fostex 80 or 4 track Cassette

OK Im a poor man with hardly any money. So I've come to low end theory to ask you folks on which choice I should make. Im currently using a four track cassette deck which in my opinion sounds MUCH better than going straight to DAW. There is an ad on craigslist for a fostex 80 with mixer that I can get for prob 300. Or I could spen about 150 for a good 4 track cassette. I know the prices are high but that's what the bids always seem to go to. So thats what I gotta pay.

I also have a friend who has a 4 track teac reel that I am going to use to bounce my my final mixes to.. If that changes anyones opinion on things.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

The fostex 80 will be better than a casstte 4 track any day of the week. For some reason, an open reel deck opens the sound up much better than casstte. I used to have a few 4 track porta studios in later 80s and early 90s. I also had a techniques 1/4 open reel that sounded even better than the casstttes and it was from the 70s back then as well.

I have 2 ms16 decks that I have had for years and years now, and I record all my tracks to it first then dump them into the DAW to get the best of both worlds.

Jim
Trashcan
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear interested

Awesome that's kinda what I thought. I know that the fostex 80 is one of the worst recording reels out there. So I wasnt quite sure if it was worth getting. Plus I only here bad things about it. As for four track cassette tapes some people seem to love them and some seem to hate them. There are alot of threads on here about 4 track cassette and none about the fostex 80
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

Go with the Fostex
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
Awesome that's kinda what I thought. I know that the fostex 80 is one of the worst recording reels out there. So I wasnt quite sure if it was worth getting. Plus I only here bad things about it. As for four track cassette tapes some people seem to love them and some seem to hate them. There are alot of threads on here about 4 track cassette and none about the fostex 80
Yes you are right the The fostex 80 is not the best, nor was it even close to that back when it was out, but it will sound better than a cassette 4 track. Not that I hated the 4 track cassette format, I liked it when I was a teenager, but grew out of it, in more ways than one.

Now the issue with the Fostex is that the track width is going to be VERY VERY small, so you will have a lot less headroom, and you will need to be careful with how hard you hit the channels, since they are so small crosstalk is more likely, and will more easily happen.

Jim
Trashcan
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear interested

Yeah, that's a little bit of a bummer. I like to to hit the recordings pretty hard (especially for drums). I might use it like a four track and use every other track, or maybe send all the tracks doubled to the tape? Not really sure how I'll approach it. The music I play is pretty trashy so crosstalk isn't that big of a deal I suppose
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search