Login / Register
 
Choosing an interface under 1k w/ great built-in pres for pro quality
New Reply
Subscribe
#31
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
  #31
Lives for gear
 
jimbridgman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 641

jimbridgman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
1) Of course he needs experience, but experience is a very easy thing to gain. Books and videos will get him on the right track while trail and error will exponentially increase his skills over time. Plus this is gearslutz what better place to improve your skills at?

2) Ummm.... Why? Just why? If he has the money to go "top end" then he should go top end. It better to learn your equipment then to buy low end gear only to upgrade later and relearn everything. Of course the technique is the same but it better to know your equipment intimately while learning technique as oppose to only learn the techniques. Much like how any monitor is able to be used on any mix as long as you learn them, but as any one on gearslutz can contest to it better to start off with a quality monitor; this goes the same for any piece of gear.

3) I agree what he getting cannot compete with the likes of says Forssell, Gordon, Hardy, GML, and more. But for his price range he can get a VERY good sound out of the ULN's pre.

4) Refer to #2

5) True but as I stated before there are a lot of things he can do to make it work.

The reason to start lower and work your way up, is so that you can actually learn the craft of recording. Just because you think you learn fast does not mean you will actually get to the limits of a lower priced "decent" AD/DA and pres. I will tell you that most people on this forum come nowhere near the limits of thier equipment, but think that becuase it was said by so and so, and so and so used this converter on thier last record I should now get it... why not, I have the money.

Hummmm, Guys that is like me saying that I have the 500+ grand to go and get an SSL G+, that I should run out and buy it. Wether it really fits my needs or not, heck it was just used by one of my heros on thier last mixing session.

All I am saying is that for most people on here, music is thier life. So if you are just starting out why would you go out and spend more than you need to, to get a "great" recording, and learn the process.

I have made award winning albums on a digi 001, just saying. The reason I upgraded, wast that my studio grew and I needed more inputs nothing more nothing less, and that was 10 years ago now. Last year I sold my HD rig and I have been back on the 001, and running an older version of protools and waves, and guess what I am still making great recordings. My clients are telling me they can't remember what the other stuff I had last year sounded like, and they can not tell the difference.

Now in the last month I have moved on from the 001, and it is back in the storage room again with the old G4 Mac. And again one of my clients told me he is not noticing the difference in the sound of this project from his last one 4 or so months ago. What I am saying is that a decent engineer can get thier signature sound on most any gear they use. Even Eddie Cramer has stated this many times.

Jim
#32
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
  #32
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
Not much else in my opinion could compete... Except maybe a RME FF400, this is a very good interface.
#33
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #33
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
The reason to start lower and work your way up, is so that you can actually learn the craft of recording. Just because you think you learn fast does not mean you will actually get to the limits of a lower priced "decent" AD/DA and pres. I will tell you that most people on this forum come nowhere near the limits of thier equipment, but think that becuase it was said by so and so, and so and so used this converter on thier last record I should now get it... why not, I have the money.

Hummmm, Guys that is like me saying that I have the 500+ grand to go and get an SSL G+, that I should run out and buy it. Wheter it really fits my needs or not, heck it was just used by one of my heros on thier last mixing session.

All I am saying is that for most people on here, music is thier life. So if you are just starting out why would you go out and spend more than you need to, to get a "great" recording, and learn the process.

I have made award winning albums on a digi 001, just saying. The reason I upgraded, wast that my studio grew and I needed more inputs nothing more nothing less, and that was 10 years ago now. Last year I sold my HD rig and I have been back on the 001, and running an older version of protools and waves, and guess what I am still making great recordings. My clients are telling me they can't remember what the other stuff I had last year sounded like, and they can not tell the difference.

Now in the last month I have moved on from the 001, and it is back in the storage room again with the old G4 Mac. And again one of my clients told me he is not noticing the difference in the sound of this project from his last one 4 or so months ago. What I am saying is that a decent engineer can get thier signature sound on most any gear they use. Even Eddie Cramer has stated this many times.

Jim
Yes this is true and I agree that great thing can come from surprisingly little packages, but in the audio world if you take the same components that made that "great" thing and export it to a bigger package the result are often better. Plus I don't think listing your costumers opinion is a very viable counterpoint to my statements. As a majority of customer does't have "golden ears" or any discerning listening ability. Which could be proven by the fad in mp3 and aac as opposed to flac and as a gearslutz member I dare you to tell me their is no discernible difference between them. To end he asked for an audio interface he can live with and would be the end all be all of all his shopping need and musical concern, and low end gear cannot fulfill such a need. In the end all I am doing to reply to his request which is choose an end game interface for him under his budget.
#34
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
jimbridgman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 641

jimbridgman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Yes this is true and I agree that great thing can come from surprisingly little packages, but in the audio world if you take the same components that made that "great" thing and export it to a bigger package the result are often better. Plus I don't think listing your costumers opinion is a very viable counterpoint to my statements. As a majority of customer does't have "golden ears" or any discerning listening ability. Which could be proven by the fad in mp3 and aac as opposed to flac and as a gearslutz member I dare you to tell me their is no discernible difference between them. To end he asked for an audio interface he can live with and would be the end all be all of all his shopping need and musical concern, and low end gear cannot fulfill such a need. In the end all I am doing to reply to his request which is choose an end game interface for him under his budget.
This is the problem with this board. In that because it is "better" everyone has to run out and get it, and just because someone asks for it does not mean it is the right thing. They most of the time don't know that it is an issue, and they will do more harm with it than good. All I am saying here, is that this guy is just learning recording, as he has stated. It is just like giving a kid a knife to play with. Heck again there are studios still using HD 96 I/Os making platinum albums. All I am saying is, that he can learn the craft VERY well with something like an m-aduio or an RME FF400, or something else, that is not they "top" of the heap. If he gets all this gear, and learns that he is the weakest link, and only makes terrible recordings because he is not able to keep up with the gear.

And you exactly proved my point here, that most "true" listeners who buy albums don't notice theses things. If you make good recordings I guarantee it does not matter the gear you use. I will bet money I can make an amazing recording with nothing more than my old mackie 32x8 and my ms16, and my digi 001 with the plugs that come with it, than the metric halo that you keep pushing here. It is as much to do with skill as it is to do with gear.

Jim
#35
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #35
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
This is th problem with this board. In that because it is "better" I gotta get it, and just because someone asks for it does not mean it is the right thing. It is just like giving a kid a knife to play with. They most of the time don't know that it is an issue, and they will do more harm with it than good. All I am saying here, is that this guy is just learning recording, as he has stated. All I am saying is, that he can learn the craft VERY wel with something like an m-aduio or an RME FF400, or something else, that is not they "top" of the heap. If he gets all this gear, and learns that he is the weakest link, and only makes terrible recordings because he is not able to keep up with the gear.

And you exactly proved my point here, that most "true" listeners who buy albums don't notice theses things. If you make good recordings I guarantee it does not matter the gear you use. I will bet money I can make an amazing recording with nothing more than my old mackie 32x8 and my ms16, and my digi 001 with the plugs that come with it, than the metric halo that you keep pushing here. It is as much to do with skill as it is to do with gear.

Jim
I hope you read over all your statements before you bring in incorrect information. You recommend the FF400 which is only $200 lower then the ULN2 plus if you look at my previous post I also recommended that as a secondary option. Secondly you state that for MOST people on HERE (aka gearslutz) music is their life. If that is indeed true then the people here should and most likely have a more discernible hearing or better equipment that would allow more discernible listening then most. So why spend money on equipment that cannot get them the result they do desire? Can I make good music using only an old Mackie Blackjack? Yes I can and I have done it. Can I take the same skill level and technique and make a better mix using my Gordon preamp and lavry ad/da yes I very well can. I am not stating the more the expensive equipment is better or worse, but what I am stating is buying better may be the best route for him. Why would he buy low end equipment only to later want to upgrade to the Metric at some point any ways? Your route will only lead to money lost and precious time that could be spent familiarizing himself with his equipment.
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#36
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #36
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Not much else in my opinion could compete... Except maybe a RME FF400, this is a very good interface.
Thanks I was looking into that one as well!
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#37
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #37
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
I hope you read over all your statements before you bring in incorrect information. You recommend the FF400 which is only $200 lower then the ULN2 plus if you look at my previous post I also recommended that as a secondary option. Secondly you state that for MOST people on HERE (aka gearslutz) music is their life. If that is indeed true then the people here should and most likely have a more discernible hearing or better equipment that would allow more discernible listening then most. So why spend money on equipment that cannot get them the result they do desire? Can I make good music using only an old Mackie Blackjack? Yes I can and I have done it. Can I take the same skill level and technique and make a better mix using my Gordon preamp and lavry ad/da yes I very well can. I am not stating the by more expensive equipment is better or worse, but what I am stating is buying better may be the best route for him. Why would he buy low end equipment only to latter want to upgrade to the Metric at some point any ways? Your route will only lead to money lost and precious time that could be spent familiarizing himself with his equipment.
I totally agree and feel that going this route, after going to check out some stuff in person and researching is the BEST solution for me. And I will be happiest with this route at the end of the day! Any mentions on the Focusrite models in this pricing range or strictly ULN2 & FF400???
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#38
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #38
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
This is the problem with this board. In that because it is "better" everyone has to run out and get it, and just because someone asks for it does not mean it is the right thing. They most of the time don't know that it is an issue, and they will do more harm with it than good. All I am saying here, is that this guy is just learning recording, as he has stated. It is just like giving a kid a knife to play with. Heck again there are studios still using HD 96 I/Os making platinum albums. All I am saying is, that he can learn the craft VERY well with something like an m-aduio or an RME FF400, or something else, that is not they "top" of the heap. If he gets all this gear, and learns that he is the weakest link, and only makes terrible recordings because he is not able to keep up with the gear.

And you exactly proved my point here, that most "true" listeners who buy albums don't notice theses things. If you make good recordings I guarantee it does not matter the gear you use. I will bet money I can make an amazing recording with nothing more than my old mackie 32x8 and my ms16, and my digi 001 with the plugs that come with it, than the metric halo that you keep pushing here. It is as much to do with skill as it is to do with gear.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I too appreciate your perspective and concern I feel I have mastered Ableton Live 8 and all the tools I have available now. I have done thoroughly done research and joing this forum has been helping tremendously I think going higher end now and completely learning with the equipment and mastering the craft will make for much better end results for me. You get what you pay for and I honestly dont have the time to learn new equipment, sell old and upgrade later. I want to do that now! I am a musician amd I need to create! I want to learn this and get this out the way as soon as possible and go from there.
#39
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #39
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitlessflight View Post
I totally agree and feel that going this route, after going to check out some stuff in person and researching is the BEST solution for me. And I will be happiest with this route at the end of the day! Any mentions on the Focusrite models in this pricing range or strictly ULN2 & FF400???
Here you go:
Fireface 400 vs. Metric Halo ULN 2

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...ace-400-a.html

Need an opinion on Matric Halo VS RME fireface

Some of these compare Metric Halo's 2882 but the ULN2 And the 2882 are very similar. If I recall correctly the only different should mainly be the ULN has pre-amps while the 2882 doesn't.
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#40
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #40
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Here you go:
Fireface 400 vs. Metric Halo ULN 2

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...ace-400-a.html

Need an opinion on Matric Halo VS RME fireface

Some of these compare Metric Halo's 2882 but the ULN2 And the 2882 are very similar. If I recall correctly the only different should mainly be the ULN has pre-amps while the 2882 doesn't.
Thannks very much! ULN2 is solid...rme400 is my second choice, do you think TC impact twin deserves to be mention with these two interfaces? How significant is the quality going from lets say a RME400 to a TC electronic impact or a Focusrite Pro 40?? Thanks guys very helpful!! Keep the good info coming!
#41
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #41
Lives for gear
 
jimbridgman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 641

jimbridgman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
I hope you read over all your statements before you bring in incorrect information. You recommend the FF400 which is only $200 lower then the ULN2 plus if you look at my previous post I also recommended that as a secondary option. Secondly you state that for MOST people on HERE (aka gearslutz) music is their life. If that is indeed true then the people here should and most likely have a more discernible hearing or better equipment that would allow more discernible listening then most. So why spend money on equipment that cannot get them the result they do desire? Can I make good music using only an old Mackie Blackjack? Yes I can and I have done it. Can I take the same skill level and technique and make a better mix using my Gordon preamp and lavry ad/da yes I very well can. I am not stating the more the expensive equipment is better or worse, but what I am stating is buying better may be the best route for him. Why would he buy low end equipment only to later want to upgrade to the Metric at some point any ways? Your route will only lead to money lost and precious time that could be spent familiarizing himself with his equipment.

Don't think that I have yet stated one thing that is not 100% true, or mislead or given any incorrect information. I have not actually recommended any piece of gear at all. I have just been stating all along that if you can not make a decent sounding recording with lesser gear be it something like an m-audio, or an RME 400, or heck a makie blackjak... maybe becuase you just metion that I should think that you recommend that.... LOL.... then you will not get a better recording with spending more money on more hardcore gear, until you do some serious learning and practice.

To the OP, you should really think about any purchase, and audition anything you use, don't get something becuase someone mentioned it on here. The issue with this place is that people will bag things they have never used, as well as recommend gear that they have never even see in person, or used, just because of reviews they read. I think it is a shame that you had issues with the Apogee gear, at one time I had a 16X A/D and a 16X D/A, and I thought they rocked.

Again be careful and double the check any reviews from the web, not just looking here, but mazines, and many other gear reviews. It just appears that Spigon and I have a difference of opinion on actually learing the trade well, so that the gear does not matter anymore, which has been my ONLY point all along.

Jim
#42
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #42
Lives for gear
 
jimbridgman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 641

jimbridgman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitlessflight View Post
Thanks Jim! I too appreciate your perspective and concern I feel I have mastered Ableton Live 8 and all the tools I have available now. I have done thoroughly done research and joing this forum has been helping tremendously I think going higher end now and completely learning with the equipment and mastering the craft will make for much better end results for me. You get what you pay for and I honestly dont have the time to learn new equipment, sell old and upgrade later. I want to do that now! I am a musician amd I need to create! I want to learn this and get this out the way as soon as possible and go from there.
Great, and I wish you luck in your purchase, If you can pull it off, the ULN is a great piece of kit, I am now recommending something Spigon, and so is the RME 400, but if you are getting into that territory and price range, you can't ignore the UA Apollo. Once you start to get into this range of price the really nice options start to open, and pre amps are MUCH better, than the below 1K, the closer you get to 2K, the better it gets, and you can get an RME UFX, or the Apollo as well as the ULN. Pretty much every thing between the 2K and 5K, are just going to give you way more options. And that I am guessing is just way over your limit.

Jim
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#43
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #43
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
Don't think that I have yet stated one thing that is not 100% true, or mislead or given any incorrect information. I have not actually recommended any piece of gear at all. I have just been stating all along that if you can not make a decent sounding recording with lesser gear be it something like an m-audio, or an RME 400, or heck a makie blackjak... maybe becuase you just metion that I should think that you recommend that.... LOL.... then you will not get a better recording with spending more money on more hardcore gear, until you do some serious learning and practice.

To the OP, you should really think about any purchase, and audition anything you use, don't get something becuase someone mentioned it on here. The issue with this place is that people will bag things they have never used, as well as recommend gear that they have never even see in person, or used, just because of reviews they read. I think it is a shame that you had issues with the Apogee gear, at one time I had a 16X A/D and a 16X D/A, and I thought they rocked.

Again be careful and double the check any reviews from the web, not just looking here, but mazines, and many other gear reviews. It just appears that Spigon and I have a difference of opinion on actually learing the trade well, so that the gear does not matter anymore, which has been my ONLY point all along.

Jim
Thanks alot Jim! You and Spigon's differences has helped me to analyze this from more than one point of view and I have benefited the most as I should! Yes the Apogee Duet 2 has been so unstable to me I wouldnt want to ever go in that direction again....any take on the TC Electronic impact twin?? Just trying to get more info on interfaces. I understand your point of view isnt in the gear and I understand all of your other point as well but if you know more about any of the equipment feel free to share!!

I have researched, and researched, and now gearslutz. I have went to pro audio stores and I am getting really close to making a decision and a major investment for the heart of my studio....as much as I love the ULN2 I want other options in case that deal doesnt fall through
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#44
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #44
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
Great, and I wish you luck in your purchase, If you can pull it off, the ULN is a great piece of kit, I am now recommending something Spigon, and so is the RME 400, but if you are getting into that territory and price range, you can't ignore the UA Apollo. Once you start to get into this range of price the really nice options start to open, and pre amps are MUCH better, than the below 1K, the closer you get to 2K, the better it gets, and you can get an RME UFX, or the Apollo as well as the ULN. Pretty much every thing between the 2K and 5K, are just going to give you way more options. And that I guessing is just way over your limit.

Jim
GREAT! Thanks again, Jim, for bringing to my attention the Universal Audio??Apollo..I did a quick search and wasnt able to find much...any models you recommended?
#45
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #45
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
#46
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #46
Lives for gear
 
jimbridgman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 641

jimbridgman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitlessflight View Post
GREAT! Thanks again, Jim, for bringing to my attention the Universal Audio??Apollo..I did a quick search and wasnt able to find much...any models you recommended?
For your price range the Duo is it, the QUAD is 2.5K.

Here is a link to the apollo site and the one here, that started in Jan. when it was announced. This thing is so new, not many have had one for more than a few days now after waiting 3 months for thier preorders.

Apollo High-Resolution Interface with Realtime UAD Processing

This guy is the first to have one on here, here is his thread:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...er-review.html

I thought about it, but I ended up with an SSL Alpha link and delta link and a MADI card, and an avid Native core card as well as a Tascam DM-4800.
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#47
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #47
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Btw since you been so awesome here is a little something something:

Sterling Audio ST77 Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Mic Standard and more Condenser Microphones at GuitarCenter.com.

$1000 Market Price for $200? What a steal! You can never have too many mics.

Whew! Thanks a ton Spigon! I have the Audia Technica 4050 and was looking to get a Shure Ribbon Mic down the line but I must agree with you this is a steal thankk you so much for sharing this!

So we can now cut $200 from the ideal budget price point! do you think this mic will compliment my AT4050? j/w any more great deals like that please feel free to post!!!
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#48
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #48
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
For your price range the Duo is it, the QUAD is 2.5K.

Here is a link to the apollo site and the one here, that started in Jan. when it was announced. This thing is so new, not many have had one for more than a few days now after waiting 3 months for thier preorders.

Apollo High-Resolution Interface with Realtime UAD Processing

This guy is the first to have one on here, here is his thread:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...er-review.html

I thought about it, but I ended up with an SSL Alpha link and delta link and a MADI card, and an avid Native core card as well as a Tascam DM-4800.
Very very very nice call Jim! I must admit I want one! This is tied with the ULN2 but unfortunately the price is a little more...I have been searching and these things are so new I cant even find any second hands! this apollo looks to be pretty solid for my needs...& WOW that is a really nice setup you have there SSL & Tascam setup i bet thats a great combo a bit out of my budget sadly
#49
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #49
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
Here are some reviews:

*NEW* ST77 from Sterling Audio (PICS)
(Check out post #5)

Sterling Audio ST77 - deal $199 (pages of pages of thoughts on the mic and reviews)

The reason why this mike is so cheap is because it SOOOOOO expensive. It cost more to mass produce it compared to how much they were making off them. So they are trying to sell all their old models to make room for the newer cheaper ones to start flooding the market.
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#50
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #50
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Here are some reviews:

*NEW* ST77 from Sterling Audio (PICS)
(Check out post #5)

Sterling Audio ST77 - deal $199 (pages of pages of thoughts on the mic and reviews)
you are awesome! thanks for the links especially the mention of post #5...right on the money! this will be a tight squeeze but i think it will be well used for my needs, and i should be okay on mics for a while or even possibly sell my new AT4050 if there is a considerable difference..if not ill keep them both
#51
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #51
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
Cannot believe this thread is 8 hours old lol.... Any who you should keep both it always good to have more then one mic so you can check which sound better for the source you have. Or you can buy the st77 audition it and either send it back or sell you AT4050 depending on which you prefer.
#52
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #52
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
Btw use the PROMO MARCHMAD9 for $18 off the mic!
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#53
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #53
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Cannot believe this thread is 8 hours old lol.... Any who you should keep both it always good to have more then one mic so you can check which sound better for the source you have. Or you can buy the st77 audition it and either send it back or sell you AT4050 depending on which you prefer.

Yes it 8hrs old with a TON of valuable information thanks to you guys! I think I will get it and keep it its such a great deal!

Hey I have another question, I was doing some research and I came across this TC Electronics STUDIO-KONNEKT?-48 Firewire Interface w/ remote? Not sure if it is on the same level as the Apollo's or ULN2's but thought it would be worth mentioning in this thread, thanks again everyone for your efforts in making my decision become more and more precise!
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#54
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #54
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Btw use the PROMO MARCHMAD9 for $18 off the mic!
youve got to be kidding?? another $18 bucks off! SOLD....any small amount of douubt I had just flew out of the window... how long is this deal good for and the promo?? so I can prioritize the timing of my purchases? just wondering
#55
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #55
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Here are some reviews:

*NEW* ST77 from Sterling Audio (PICS)
(Check out post #5)

Sterling Audio ST77 - deal $199 (pages of pages of thoughts on the mic and reviews)

The reason why this mike is so cheap is because it SOOOOOO expensive. It cost more to mass produce it compared to how much they were making off them. So they are trying to sell all their old models to make room for the newer cheaper ones to start flooding the market.
I have no idea about the deal for the following reason above. But I do in fact know the promo last only until the end of this month which isn't that much longer.
#56
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 774

Shannon Adkins is offline
Dude, don't sell your 4050.
Man, you came on here asking about an interface and now your going to dump your whole studio.
The 4050 is a great mic....you can do anything with it. And quality wise, your not going to beat in in that price range. Really, if your only going to have one mic in that price range, what better one to have that that?
And listen to the guy who's been telling you it's more about your skills.

Also, the MR816 is a great interface....I know, I own one. That loopback test that was done on the conversion went through the MR's preamps, so obviously it was severely flawed. You should hear some of the recordings that were done by people here using it. Do a search and you'll find a guy who recorded a live album with it....using nothing but the MR's pres and conversion. It sounds totally pro....and that's mainly because he's a great engineer.

But going back to the original topic, I don't understand why (if your duet is defective) you just don't replace it. That is a very popular interface and Apogee is a very reputable brand. One of my friends uses a duet, and it's always been stable for him. If you like the sound, why not just stick with something you already know? If it's a defective unit, replace it.

And have you contacted Apogee to see if you may be using it wrong?
#57
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #57
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
I think the loopback test is very accurate if you consider the fact that he isn't planning on buying any outboard pres. So the test accurately placed the mr816x based on its own sound, which is the sound he will get if he buys it. I don't think he wants a piece that placed so lowly on its own accord.
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#58
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #58
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
Dude, don't sell your 4050.
Man, you came on here asking about an interface and now your going to dump your whole studio.
The 4050 is a great mic....you can do anything with it. And quality wise, your not going to beat in in that price range. Really, if your only going to have one mic in that price range, what better one to have that that?
And listen to the guy who's been telling you it's more about your skills.

Also, the MR816 is a great interface....I know, I own one. That loopback test that was done on the conversion went through the MR's preamps, so obviously it was severely flawed. You should hear some of the recordings that were done by people here using it. Do a search and you'll find a guy who recorded a live album with it....using nothing but the MR's pres and conversion. It sounds totally pro....and that's mainly because he's a great engineer.

But going back to the original topic, I don't understand why (if your duet is defective) you just don't replace it. That is a very popular interface and Apogee is a very reputable brand. One of my friends uses a duet, and it's always been stable for him. If you like the sound, why not just stick with something you already know? If it's a defective unit, replace it.

And have you contacted Apogee to see if you may be using it wrong?
I love my AT4050 and got it for a great price Im hanging on to it! But this new mic will be a great addition. As for the MR816X its good to hear from someone who has it first hand....and thats impressive that an album was done using it and pro results were achieved!

As for the Duet 2 it sounded great but I have such a bad taste in my mouth from the expierance Id rather weigh out some better options, if none are better I will replace but it doesnt seem to be looking that way. i have contacted Apogee several times, left messages and emails NO response whats so ever! This only adds to the fuel...I dont want the run around on a brand new device that I had less than a week and isnt holding up to average expections. If I spend this kind of money I want quality and stability!

So do you run your MR816X into anything?? Has it proved to be a solid choice for you and what you want to accomplish? Id really like to hear how it holds for you...thanks
limitlessflight
Thread Starter
#59
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #59
Gear nut
 
limitlessflight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 88

Thread Starter
limitlessflight is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
I think the loopback test is very accurate if you consider the fact that he isn't planning on buying any outboard pres. So the test accurately placed the mr816x based on its own sound, which is the sound he will get if he buys it. I don't think he wants a piece that placed so lowly on its own accord.

absolutely right! ULN2 seems to be the front runner, followed by the RME 400, not too sure about the MR816X but still considering ALL and ANY so feel free to add more if you all know of any!
#60
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
  #60
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 86

Spigon is offline
Btw the curious what monitors do you got? Or all you doing is record and no mixing?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Chieftain Jake / Low End Theory
14
grkmetlhed / So much gear, so little time!
1
polysoniq / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
10
BreakonThru5 / Low End Theory
4
buzzjoe / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
15

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.