Login / Register

Blue Mouse owners, what Preamp do you use?
New Reply
Subscribe
Les Page
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Head

Blue Mouse owners, what Preamp do you use?

Sup People!

I just bought a Blue Mouse for about 500 bucks from a guy on ebay, great deal IMO

Now I'm looking for a good preamp to make the Mouse sound perfect.

So Mouse users, what preamps do you use and which sound best with this mic (apart from the "Blue Robbie")?
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

With what preamp have you been using it so far? What is lacking so far in the sound to lead you to believe that a preamp is the answer?
Les Page
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
With what preamp have you been using it so far? What is lacking so far in the sound to lead you to believe that a preamp is the answer?
No peamp at all That's why
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
serious amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Ha ha. You were going to tell him to use what he's got, and be a better engineer, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Page View Post
No peamp at all That's why
Apparently his current preamp is too quiet.
Les Page
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post
Apparently his current preamp is too quiet.

Alright, seriously, with what preamp are you guys using this mic with?
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
I'm not using a mouse, BUT looking at it's specs I would strongly suggest something with a thick lower mid push and possibly a bit of subtle decrease in the highs.

UA solo 610 pre or the 6176 strip
for less cash maybe a gap pre73
for really cheap maybe an art mpa gold, whatever the current mpa version is (wiht high plate voltage switch), or possibly the new pro channel 2 (the 2 being the important part) which has high plate voltage.

this IS low end theory after all :-)

those pres have decreasing amounts of darkness/thickness from the top row of my list to the bottom, but all, even the art models, are notably warmer than most other preamps.

However I've heard such positive reviews of the blue mouse that probably just a really good clean solid preamp would be fine. not an uber cheapo, but something with good performance (which can still be an affordable model).

I'll tell you that I own some excellent vintage fully transformer in/out mic preamps and cheapo art preamps and with my blue kiwi (which is bright and present but in really great ways and is an amazing vocal mic for commercial music). That mic sounds great with all my pres, modern, vintage, expensive, cheap, but sometimes an art mpa gold is just the ticket to make the vocal sing.

If people forget about price and keep an open mind it's amazing what you can do with gear regardless of price or how "high end" the gear is.
Les Page
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
I'm not using a mouse, BUT looking at it's specs I would strongly suggest something with a thick lower mid push and possibly a bit of subtle decrease in the highs.

UA solo 610 pre or the 6176 strip
for less cash maybe a gap pre73
for really cheap maybe an art mpa gold, whatever the current mpa version is (wiht high plate voltage switch), or possibly the new pro channel 2 (the 2 being the important part) which has high plate voltage.

this IS low end theory after all :-)

those pres have decreasing amounts of darkness/thickness from the top row of my list to the bottom, but all, even the art models, are notably warmer than most other preamps.

However I've heard such positive reviews of the blue mouse that probably just a really good clean solid preamp would be fine. not an uber cheapo, but something with good performance (which can still be an affordable model).

I'll tell you that I own some excellent vintage fully transformer in/out mic preamps and cheapo art preamps and with my blue kiwi (which is bright and present but in really great ways and is an amazing vocal mic for commercial music). That mic sounds great with all my pres, modern, vintage, expensive, cheap, but sometimes an art mpa gold is just the ticket to make the vocal sing.

If people forget about price and keep an open mind it's amazing what you can do with gear regardless of price or how "high end" the gear is.
Jeez DK, you're a blessing. Thank you again, your advises are the best
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
I should add that there ARE plenty of other preamps that would do the same things I outlined... I'm just supplying an obvious example (UA) and the most obvious and most affordable low end warm sounding preamps.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search