Talk me down from the ledge... BR-800 vs BR-600
alphasports
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear interested

Talk me down from the ledge... BR-800 vs BR-600

Hi,

I'm a casual basement recording artist (guitar & vocals), do it more for fun & gadget addiction than anything else. I have some decent gear in terms of mixing boards & mics, USB interfaces (for Reaper, when I'm not recording direct to my BR-600), and other odds & ends. I currently use a BR-600 for standalone multitracking but am gassing for a BR-800 mostly due to its interface capability, increased SD capacity etc.

I certainly don't NEED it, but...you know how it is

Anyway on the bright side I WILL listen to reason if anyone can convince me there's no real advantage other than the few updated features listed above, none of which are essential.

BTW I always do obsessive homework before fixating on some new gadget, so I have looked at, and discarded, the Zoom R-series, Tascam, etc. It's come down to the BR-800 or nothing.

Talk to me, goose!
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

seriously? It is a lateral move. save the cash, or spend it on something that gets you into the world of editing on a full-sized computer screen in color, where you can control and change the quality of your pieces/parts (mic pres, converters, plug in effects, primary DAW) at will. You start to edit audio on a full sized screen. you'll wonder how you ever got anything done on that little LCD.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Im a hardware guy so I'm not going to talk u out of utbut...with that said, I would would look for the weakest link in my set up and start there. Pres, moniters, comps. cables, something. If u think you're good then go for it but first make sure you've addressed whatever needs to be addressed.
alphasports
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome View Post
seriously? It is a lateral move. save the cash, or spend it on something that gets you into the world of editing on a full-sized computer screen in color, where you can control and change the quality of your pieces/parts (mic pres, converters, plug in effects, primary DAW) at will. You start to edit audio on a full sized screen. you'll wonder how you ever got anything done on that little LCD.
Thanks, I agree. The appeal of the upgrade is to support the usb interface aspect of the 800 by using Reaper. That said, for the stuff I do I can export a WAV from the 600 and achieve essentially the same thing albeit a little less efficiently. Like I said, it would be more of a gadget upgrade than a necessity.

I'm a big fan of buying used at great prices so maybe I'll check Kijiji...
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

an interface would be better quality and give 100 times more editing, mixing options in a computer.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
I'm conflicted here for you ...

I recorded an entire album using a BR1200 and so I know those things inside and out, front to back. What I loved and really respected about it was recording music without my eyes ... no waveforms, no syncing things up together on a grid of perfection, and really no punch-ins. Just entire performances, for better or worse, from beginning to end. So it took me more time and the converters kinda suck so the tracks weren't awesome in quality, but most tracks were complete performances.

Having said all of that, I can appreciate the positive side of working on those things. But on the other hand, as soon as the money started rolling in, I bought Logic, got a used Macbook, and never looked back.

So my only bit of advice to you is, evaluate the reasons behind wanting one and if they don't have something to do with working without your eyes then do yourself a favor and get into a DAW.

NOTE: I used a trick when recording. I sometimes needed more than 12 tracks (really 10 ... 8 monos and 2 stereos). So I used the virtual tracks to record up to anywhere between 20 and 26 tracks. I could only PLAY 12 at any given time, but that doesn't mean anything if you're going to back them all up into a DAW. Just a thought if you end up recording and wanting to convert to WAV files and import into PT or Logic or something.

Hope all of this rambling somehow helps.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Might as well jump
Go ahead jump
Who said that
alphasports
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the replies. Am still undecided, trending towards backing off the ledge and skulking back to my dark corner of the basement.

In the meantime I bought an iRig and AmpliTube for my iPad and am getting a few grins, not bad for $50...

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search