Login / Register

Patch bay question - tapping TWO signals?
New Reply
Subscribe
Fhl
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Patch bay question - tapping TWO signals?

Hi,

I didn't find an answer using the search function so here goes:

I have a neutrik 1/4" patchbay and I have 1-6 connected to a presonus M80 (8 channel preamp).

1-6 is normalled to the interface inputs 1-6
Then patchbay 7-8 is connected to a tape machine and interface input 7-8
15-16 is connected to a wall outlet (through) which I use for monitoring in the live room.

If I record vocals on channel 1, I normally tap from patchbay 1 and insert it to 15, thus the live room can hear the preamp signal directly, and I record to channel 1 of my interface.

But I would like to also record to tape on some occasions. Is there a way to do this without changing the jacks in the back?

Re-phrased: Is it possible to tap TWO signals in this case?
Perhaps the way I have normalled the patchway is unusual.

Thank you
Fred

EDIT:
Ok, so here's what I ended up doing.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Fhl
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

bump
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear interested

The simplest answer is to use a splitter patch cable , basically 1trs wired in parallel to 2 more trs , Possibly with the earth disconnected on one of the destination trs plugs , to avoid possible ground loops .
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear interested

I might also add that the question is slightly misleading as you're not trying to tap 2 source signals as the query suggests but splitting 1 signal to 2 destinations ,
If you were trying to tap 2 sources to one destination , you'd need a summing cable with some resistors in it , rather than a splitter .....
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via MSN to mjfruth Send a message via Skype™ to mjfruth
When I was a lad......

.....or back in the old days......

We called this a "mult" and it was in the patchbay. I still use them and have two in my existing bay now.

If you have the space, do a full normal on two adjacent pairs (or columns), and then connect those two rows in the back of the bay. Patch your source to the uppermost left member of the mult, and you can grab that signal and patch "out" from the remaining three......

....it makes sense in my head.......

From a logical sense it looks something like this (the horizontal lines are a patch in the rear of the bay, the vertical are full normals):

O-O
| |
O O
Fhl
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonbreath View Post
I might also add that the question is slightly misleading as you're not trying to tap 2 source signals as the query suggests but splitting 1 signal to 2 destinations ,
If you were trying to tap 2 sources to one destination , you'd need a summing cable with some resistors in it , rather than a splitter .....
Ah yes. I am not trying to tap different sources to one destination. I am in fact trying to tap the same source to two (or more) destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfruth View Post
.....or back in the old days......

We called this a "mult" and it was in the patchbay. I still use them and have two in my existing bay now.

If you have the space, do a full normal on two adjacent pairs (or columns), and then connect those two rows in the back of the bay. Patch your source to the uppermost left member of the mult, and you can grab that signal and patch "out" from the remaining three......

....it makes sense in my head.......

From a logical sense it looks something like this (the horizontal lines are a patch in the rear of the bay, the vertical are full normals):

O-O
| |
O O
I am not quite sure I follow. Would you mind elaborating? Thank you
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via MSN to mjfruth Send a message via Skype™ to mjfruth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhl View Post
Ah yes. I am not trying to tap different sources to one destination. I am in fact trying to tap the same source to two (or more) destinations.

I am not quite sure I follow. Would you mind elaborating? Thank you
I'm not sure if I can....lol - but I'll try.

If you take two patchpoints and configure them as full normals, they remain connected whether you have a cable plugged into the top, bottom, or both of the pair (a pair is usually vertically aligned). You set up two pairs like that which are next to each other, and then connect them at the back of the bay so now all 4 patch points are always connected to each other.

I'm not sure that helped.....sorry.
Fhl
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfruth View Post
I'm not sure if I can....lol - but I'll try.

If you take two patchpoints and configure them as full normals, they remain connected whether you have a cable plugged into the top, bottom, or both of the pair (a pair is usually vertically aligned). You set up two pairs like that which are next to each other, and then connect them at the back of the bay so now all 4 patch points are always connected to each other.

I'm not sure that helped.....sorry.
Thanks, it did help.
The neutrik bay I use is half-normalled, but I did set up a pair.

Patchbay module 9-10:

Module 9 is half-normalled (grey jack at the bottom front)
Module 10 is turned around (grey jack at the top back).

Then at 9 the bottom back is connected to bottom back 10, thus giving me both jacks at the front of 10 with the same signal as 9.

Now I have the preamp signal at 1, half-normalled to my DAW.
Then I patch 1 to 9, which feeds the signal to 10.
10 has two destination: cue mix and tape machine.

Works perfectly.
I asked a tech and he said that I had to repeat this another 5-6 times before noticeably degrading the signal.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search