New Reply
Subscribe
resistorsings
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear interested

Help me improve my synth-pop mixes

Hi there,

I'd love some feedback on a few recent tracks I've recorded. For context, I made myself some rules for this project, which include the following: I will track, mix, and master everything by myself at home, I will release at least a track a month, and most of the elements will be sampled or synthesized. This is necessarily a lo-fi endeavor and I don't want to fall down the rabbit hole of endlessly tweaking mixes, as that would be contrary to my mission here. But I do want to get the best sound out of what I have.

I started out with only an MXL 991 mic, an Alesis io2 interface, and some cheap Sennheiser earbuds. I do all tracking and mixing in Reaper and all of the synths and drum machines are various free VST plugins that I downloaded. That's what I used for the first song I released, First World Problems.

http://soundcloud.com/resistorsings/firstworldproblems

Next I bent my spending rule a bit with a slight gear upgrade -- I got an MXL V67G mic and some AKG 240s. I needed a new pair of general-listening speakers anyway so I also got a pair of Audio Engine A2s which I check things on at the end. Then I made this cover of Video Games by Lana Del Rey:

http://soundcloud.com/resistorsings/video-games

I just released another original tune, Ingenue, made with the same setup:

http://soundcloud.com/resistorsings/ingenue

Any feedback on the mixes is welcome, bearing the above context in mind. I'm particularly interested in any simple tricks for making the tracks louder and more propulsive/dance-y; I've messed with a few different mastering EQs and limiters, but there's obviously room for improvement. Thanks!
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Sounds pretty damn good (low-budget or not).

I just listened to the third one.. and it's pretty damn good. My only critique is that the vocal gets lost a tiny bit when the chorus kicks in.. one of the synths that comes in at that spot is competing a little. Nothing some EQ shouldn't fix.

Nice work!!
"Seriously, there's a certain kind of creative inspiration that can come from exploring the outer limits of a musical instrument. Now days the limits are so vast that it can be difficult to set boundaries." --spargee
resistorsings
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the feedback!
resistorsings
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Gear interested

6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelepic
Michael Epic.

@resistorsings - Stumbled across this forums and your posts off of Google. Interested in the effects on your voice in the Beach Boys cover. Interested in possible like-minded conversations and ideas. Would love to tell you who I am, what I do....think you'd be interested.

Email in profile...use it. Lets talk.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search