Need help upgrading my studio!!!!
Old 28th February 2012
Gear interested

Need help upgrading my studio!!!!

Im looking to upgrade my home studio but I want to know what will be a good upgrade from what I got :
This what I got :

Mac intel
Maudio profire 610
Yamaha hs50m
Cubase 6
Pro tools mpowered 8
Maudio keystation 49
Blue baby bottle mic
Se electronic 2200a mic
Presonus studio channel preamp

I'm lookin to upgrade not downgrade I'm lookin for pro quality for a home studio

Any help I will be thankfull for

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz App
Old 28th February 2012
You should think about treating your room acoustically, before buying more expensive gear.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbears View Post
You should think about treating your room acoustically, before buying more expensive gear.
+1. Even if it's minimal, it'll help - but obviouslly, do it as well as your budget allows
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Without some sort of reference as to your current production work, or any sort of goals you're working towards, or problems you're having there's not really much I can imagine anyone can really give you that would honestly help you. You're using budget gear, and it looks like you've got all your bases covered. There are lots, and lots, and lots of options for you.

For instance, I could say get a ProTools HD system with a D-Control unit, a full set of Neumann vocal mics and a fleet of 421s and 414s, but that wouldn't really help you if you don't need those things, aren't wanting to spend 10's of thousands of dollars, and are recording in a crappy room on weekends with your buddies.

For the small amount its worth, i think you can get perfectly great results with what you've got already if you are recording in a good room with good source material and careful recording techniques.

Jacob
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

I'm trying to step up my interface not enough in and out

Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoneygrind44 View Post
I'm trying to step up my interface not enough in and out

What exactly are you looking to record, a jazz big band, a rock band, an orchestra, just yourself doing all overdubs?

How many mics, how many line in will you need to send to your DAW all at the same time?
Do you need mic pres in the interface, would be another good thing to know, or will you use outboard pres?

This info will help narrow the choices a whole lot, and get you some more accurate information.

Oh and what budget range are looking to stay in?

Jim
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

I do hip hop for rite but I plan on doing all type of music
So I need enough input so I want have to upgrade no more

Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do hip hop for rite but I plan on doing all type of music
So I need enough input so I want have to upgrade no more

My questions were to guage how many mics or instruments you plan to record at the same time.

The jazz big band would be a reference to a rather meduim sized setup, something like 10 mics and 3-4 line ins at the same time. The rock band would have been a reference to smaller number of ins and outs, like 4-5 mics and 2-3 line ins at the same time, and an orchestra would be a huge number of mics.....

So, again, how much i/o do you need, how many mics at one time, how many tracks do you need to record at the same time? I can tell you that you can get something that has 8 inputs all mic ins, but that might not be enough, or I can tell you to get an interface that has 16 ins, but are only lines, and not mics.... I saw you listed one mic. so....

And again what is your budget?

Jim
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

I'm just get rme fireface 400 w
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

I'm just get a rme fireface 400 with a universal audio twin 710 preamp

Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm just get a rme fireface 400 with a universal audio twin 710 preamp

A few people have given you some input and asked questions trying to assist you in finding the right gear for your needs. It appears that you have ignored it all and decided what you want to do independently of any advice from GS members.

I'm curious...

Why did you start this thread?

Since you're not paying attention anyway, I guess I might as well throw my opinion into the ring, too.

You're looking to improve the quality of your home recording setup. Great! Many of us are chasing that same carrot. Pay attention now, this is important...The most critical thing (besides talent - on both sides of the mic) is the acoustics of your room. If you're recording with microphones, the sound of your room is going to have a big effect on the sound being recorded into your computer. When it comes time for mixing, what you hear out of your monitors is dramatically influenced by the acoustics of the room. If you can't hear the music accurately, how can you make accurate mixing decisions? You can have great converters, great preamps, and great monitors, and great microphones, but NONE of these things will compensate for a bad-sounding room.

I've experienced it myself, and seen countless comments by others saying the same thing...the BEST upgrade you can make is acoustic treatment.

You want to have a more "pro" sounding setup? Do what the pros do. Spend a lot of effort making the room sound good.

Getting an interface and preamps with enough inputs for your needs is critical, but taking a step down in quality there (something less than RMS and UA), and putting some of that money into proper acoustic treatment will pay off with much improved results.

/rant
Old 1st March 2012
I think the OPer should buy higher end gear to upgrade the studio.
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

I also agree on upgrading the gear. The room treatment can wait. I don't think its that important unless you are going get overly critical about things. Just get your mixes in the ballpark and people will forgive you if your music is good. I can't really tell what your weak spots are. Only you can make that decision. What is your budget by the way? A wider range of microphones wouldn't hurt.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search