hooking ubk fatso to uln 8
New Reply
Subscribe
justbass4
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Gear nut

hooking ubk fatso to uln 8

hi. how do you hook a ubk fatso up to a uln 8. I can't believe no one knows how to do this and I can't believe there is no manual that comes with the ubk. pretty unbelievable. and by how, I mean, what cables go where. and yes I emailed ubk and metric halo and it's like they think I'm them; someone who knows what they are doing. the guy form ubk refered me to the same part of the mh manual that doesnt' really tell me anything. Goddamnit I'm so ****ing pissed off right now. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO PLUG IN A UBK FATSO TO A ULN 8? WHY ISN'T THERE A REAL GODDAMN MANUAL FOR IT?
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbass4 View Post
hi. how do you hook a ubk fatso up to a uln 8. I can't believe no one knows how to do this and I can't believe there is no manual that comes with the ubk. pretty unbelievable. and by how, I mean, what cables go where. and yes I emailed ubk and metric halo and it's like they think I'm them; someone who knows what they are doing. the guy form ubk refered me to the same part of the mh manual that doesnt' really tell me anything. Goddamnit I'm so ****ing pissed off right now. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO PLUG IN A UBK FATSO TO A ULN 8? WHY ISN'T THERE A REAL GODDAMN MANUAL FOR IT?
This has to be a joke! Get a Dsub to XLRM snake and run it from the ULN8 send to the UBK inputs. Then get a Dsub to XLRF snake and run it from the UBK outputs to the ULN8 Line In (return). Or read the ULN8 manual, which you are apparently unwilling to do.
Denver, CO
proaudio529@mac.com
www.529proaudio.com
justbass4
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
This has to be a joke! Get a Dsub to XLRM snake and run it from the ULN8 send to the UBK inputs. Then get a Dsub to XLRF snake and run it from the UBK outputs to the ULN8 Line In (return). Or read the ULN8 manual, which you are apparently unwilling to do.
yeah, it's such a joke, because what you've said is common knowlege for everybody. I've read some of the 300 page manual and I'm still reading it; what part are you talking about? so I have to buy 2 more snake cables? well this is the information I was asking about even though I have to put up with attitude, but honestly, thank you. you are the only person the give me an answer. I honestly don't know anything about recording. there are those people you know, white belts, who literally don't know anything. there's no need for attitude, just don't post, although I'm glad you did.
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Justbass,
This is the High End forum. It's not only populated by people with the means to get great gear, but also people with several years of experience. There might be a certain presumption of audio engineering knowledge

The above instruction will get you there physically if you want to use the Fatso as insert during recording from the mic inputs. You also need to setup the MIO Mixer to use the Send/Return mode (you select that at the top of the mixer strip where you choose Mic, Line, DI input etc). The ULN8 gets the signal from the mic, amplifies it, sends it out to the Sends connector, to the UBK, receives the signal on the Line inputs and presents it to the software.

If you want to use it as insert for material that's already recorded you might need to do some juggling with sends from your audio application to the MIO, out to the UBK and all the way back. It's a bit trickier but it's all virtual wires - experiment your way through

Best,
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, it's such a joke, because what you've said is common knowlege for everybody. I've read some of the 300 page manual and I'm still reading it; what part are you talking about? so I have to buy 2 more snake cables? well this is the information I was asking about even though I have to put up with attitude, but honestly, thank you. you are the only person the give me an answer. I honestly don't know anything about recording. there are those people you know, white belts, who literally don't know anything. there's no need for attitude, just don't post, although I'm glad you did.
Hey man, no one hear owes you a goddam thing. If there is any "attitude" in this thread, it is from your initial post freaking out about how two manufacturers didn't adequately hold your hand and teach you basic signal flow because you bought their products. If you don't know how to drive, don't blame a car dealership for not teaching you just because you bought a car from them. Show a little respect while groveling for advice, for ****sake.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear addict

WTF are white belts doing with a UBK Fatso and a ULN 8?

Start with a Behringer Xenix, a Presonus Firestudio Mobile and something awful like an Alesis 3630 and learn about signal path and gain structure first
Then go buy some raw 8 pair cabling, 16 1/4 TRS and 2 DBus connectors. Get yourself a soldering iron and learn about getting your hands dirty.

I am admittedly curious about the results of White-Belt vs. UBK/ULN8
Young unbridled "don't know anything" types can produce surprisingly amazing results, or complete crap.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Pragmatic Snob

Hey justbass,

I responded to you on the UBK Fatso thread but didn't realize you'd started a thread over here.

First, I apologize for not covering the basics in the manual, and you're totally justified in feeling frustrated at the lack of simple, clear info on how to hook this shit up. FYI, I'm going to update the manual so future users don't have to deal with this crap the way you have.

Second, part of what's tripping you up is that your ULN (awesome piece btw!) has unorthodox connectors. Most gear has XLR (and maybe 1/4") inputs and outputs like the UBK Fatso, but your ULN has "DB25" connectors because it's the only way they could allow for so many ins and outs on a piece of gear that size.

So what you need are two DB25 Snakes, these are 8-channel snakes with a DB25 connector on one end (to go to your ULN) and XLR connectors on the other (to go to the rack gear you are conecting your ULN to).

First snake is DB25 to (8x) XLR Males, these XLR's go to the Inputs of your UBK Fatso and other gear and the DB25 goes to the Line/Monitor Out 1-8 connector on your ULN. Use XLR 1&2 for your UBK Fatso.

Example: Hosa DTM-803 (3 Meter) | Sweetwater.com

Second snake is DB25 to (8x) XLR Female, these XLR's go to the Outputs of your UBK Fatso and other gear and the DB25 goes to the Line In 1-8 connector on your ULN. Again, use XLR 1&2 for your UBK Fatso.

Example: Hosa DTF-803 (3 Meter) | Sweetwater.com

The good news is when you do the above, your ULN and UBK Fatso will be properly connected.

The bad news is after you properly connect these two devices, you have to then figure out how to properly route the signal via Metric Halo's MIO Console software, which can be a daunting task even for seasoned engineers. But on the plus side their tech support via phone is very helpful, and I know this because they got me up and running when I first bought my Metric Halo interface last year.

Keep us posted, and thanks for your patience while we get you thru this!

Gregory Scott - ubk

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Hey man, no one hear owes you a goddam thing. If there is any "attitude" in this thread, it is from your initial post freaking out about how two manufacturers didn't adequately hold your hand and teach you basic signal flow because you bought their products. If you don't know how to drive, don't blame a car dealership for not teaching you just because you bought a car from them. Show a little respect while groveling for advice, for ****sake.
well no one needs your permission or approval to post here. if you don't like the question then don't post. if I see someone who wants help and I don't think they are worthy of it, I just go about my mary way. I don't roll down my window to harras them. I wonder why it is that you do? another bold stance is taken from behind a computer, I guess. Then again, maybe you are low caliber enough to treat people this way in person. But I am freaking out because this is not my forte and even if it were, it's hard. I can admit that. there should be something basic in a manual for all us grovelers. oh, and I'm on page 175 of the uln manual. it's like a math book of acronymns: spdf? ae? oh god, and the section on routing. I probably should cool down before I post. I should probably email metric halo an apology too.

Last edited by justbass4; 27th February 2012 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: mispelling
justbass4
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear nut

yeah and I just read my intitial post again. I was freaking out. sorry gearslutz.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Very classy of you to review and apologize. Cheers.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

justbass4,

I find the tutorial videos on the Metric Halo website extremely helpful. You might want to check those out.

I think your frustration lies in the fact that you purchased a very high end interface, although you admit that you "don't know anything about recording." That's fine - I don't know that much either, but I think most people who spend the money for a ULN-8 know the basics (terminology, routing, etc...). When I bought my ULN-8 I had about 8 years of experience and it still took me a while to get the hang of MIOconsole. No big deal, take the time to watch the videos, read the manual, work with the unit; eventually things will come into focus. We all start somewhere.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Goddamnit I'm so ****ing pissed off right now. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO PLUG IN A UBK FATSO TO A ULN 8? WHY ISN'T THERE A REAL GODDAMN MANUAL FOR IT?
What was that about being low caliber and taking a bold stance behind a computer? And in no way was I harassing you by actually taking the time to answer the question initially. After you accused me of having an attitude? Yes, without question. And you deserved it.

This is a cool forum, and people are happy to offer help if you treat them respectfully.
justbass4
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
What was that about being low caliber and taking a bold stance behind a computer? And in no way was I harassing you by actually taking the time to answer the question initially. After you accused me of having an attitude? Yes, without question. And you deserved it.

This is a cool forum, and people are happy to offer help if you treat them respectfully.
Ok, I surrender. you're not low caliber.
justbass4
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear nut

(I pasted this reply from my other posts on using the compressor in conjunction with the mio console) ok so I figured out to insert the fatso between my uln 8 converters and preamp so that I can compress audio as I record it. and that's what I've been doing. now I'm in the post recording/end of mixing part of this song and i want to compress individual tracks of audio, different busses (vocal bus, drum bus) and then the entire stereo track (when it's completely done). The fatso is connected to the uln 8 like so: a) xlr's running from the balanced sends of the uln to the input jacks of the fatso and b) xlr's running from line in of the uln to the output of the fatso. both channels 1 and 2 respectively. thus far I haven't been able to find anything on the internet. really this more of a qustion regarding routing in the mio console (the program that manages virtual connections between metric halo hardware and what ever daw your using which is logic 9 in my case)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search