Help me pick my second vocal mic
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear interested

Help me pick my second vocal mic

I currently use a at4047 into a UA 710 twin finity then into a Motu 8pre. The sound I'm getting on my voice is a little too colored. It's very middy, and I think I'm looking for something a little more transparent. Is running an fet mic into a tube pre the reason for excessive coloration? I seem to get a slightly better sound running the 4047 throu the motu pre only, but still pretty colored. I'm wondering if I might need to get a at4050 for a more uncolored and open sound. The 4047 is sounding very boxy on my voice. Does the 4050 sound very similar to the 4047? Do I need to get away from AT? I'm wondering if the 4050 straight into the motu will be too sterile?? Maybe a tube mic straight into the motu? What to do, what to do??? Around $1000 or less would be ideal.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

4047 is a very nice mic, but definitely a colored mic. The 4050 is very neutral.

Honestly, if neutral is what you're after, don't shell out 500 bucks on the 4050.

I recommend these two neutral mics(which I own and use) They have very similar sonic character to the 4050:
MXL 2003a
CAD M179

Both of these mics are under 150 dollars new. The days are gone when one needs to shell out a 1000 dollars to get a pro quality condenser mic.
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear Head

Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

+1 on the M179
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear interested

The M179 looks good. I listened to some clips of it and it sounds nice. What do you guys think of the CAD Triton 6000 and 8000 mics?
Old 13th March 2012
Gear maniac

+1 on the joly mods
Well I can only vouch for my oktava 319 premium mod (didnt get the floating dome)
it is amazing. Used it everywhere! on mono overhead, drum room, acc guitar, sax, trombone, trumpet, mandolin, ukulele, guitar cab, hand percussion, mono conga mic, vocals, voiceover!

I am going to get another one as soon as I can!

Forget all those chinese LDCs. this is the workhorse you seek!! (well it was the one I sought! you may disagree! I am sure many do!)

long
Old 14th March 2012
Gear addict

+1 on the Joly mods and on the M179, but I prefer the Joly mods
Old 14th March 2012
+2 on the jolly mod.

But another mic I think you should consider is a Neumann tlm 103. It's a great mic when I first started recording I pretty much cut everything with it.
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Gefell, preowned
Old 15th March 2012
Gear maniac

You could go with a 4033 from AT. cheaper than the 4050 but similar in sound.

But really you should check out as many mics as you can. Do you live near a pro audio store? Go in and get a sample of your voice on the mics. Then make an educated decision.

When auditioning mics for singers I am sometimes amazed that mic I think will work for them is not the mic. Sometimes it is the last mic I put up on a whim. That is why it would be good to check out other mics.

From my experience I love the 4047 but not on voice. I love having a pair for everything else.

Just a few thoughts.

Mike
Old 15th March 2012
If you are looking for transparency the 4050 will most definitely deliver, little too transparent for my liking ..
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Head

I completely understand where you are at. I'm in a minority here, but I'm not so crazy about the twin finity. It sounds dark and slow transient to me. For a less middy more crisp high end try recording further from the mic and with less gain via a different preamp. If that doesn't do it, go for a brighter mic. A peluso p12 would really fit that sound.
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

I notice a lot of people rave about the Oktava 319 Joly modded version. I owned this mic for a while. I honestly wanted to like this mic. But dang, it's just so dark on vocals. I mean, REALLY dark with zero crispness. I tried everything to get vocals to cut through a mix using it. It finally drove me nuts. Sold it in favor of my CAD M9 tube mic. The CAD seems much more user friendly, takes minimal EQ'ing to get it to sit right in a big mix, and has the presence that I could never get out of the modded 319.

I'm sure the modded Oktava 319 is a great mic in the right hands, just not my hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlong View Post
+1 on the joly mods
Well I can only vouch for my oktava 319 premium mod (didnt get the floating dome)
it is amazing. Used it everywhere! on mono overhead, drum room, acc guitar, sax, trombone, trumpet, mandolin, ukulele, guitar cab, hand percussion, mono conga mic, vocals, voiceover!

I am going to get another one as soon as I can!

Forget all those chinese LDCs. this is the workhorse you seek!! (well it was the one I sought! you may disagree! I am sure many do!)

long
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search