First mic purchase: Cad m179 vs little blondies vs mxl 9090?
Old 20th February 2012
Gear Head

First mic purchase: Cad m179 vs little blondies vs mxl 9090?

T_T don't know how to use gearslutz that well. Double thread post. Greetings fellow gearslutz! I want to purchase my first microphone. I will be using this to record cello, violin, female and male vocals, aswell as some percussion. My budget is 200 dollars for a mic, ideally a workhorse. I might step up my budget $100 more if I'm convinced. I've found some cheap microphones that might suit my needs:

Cad m179
maybe other cad mics? i like the design of the cad e300 ^2
MXL 9090 (warm like the v67g and bright settings)
MXL cr-24 package
oktava mk 319 used
sahiamen's little blondies

are oktavamods vastly superior to all these choices?

I want these mics to be compatible with the Komplete Audio 6 Audio Interface. I'm willing to purchase a separate phantom power supply unit just for the Cad; I've also heard the sahiamen's little blondies need lots of gain. The kompete audio 6 has around 40db of gain.

How does the cad e300^2 compare to the m179?

I'd really appreciate any response/suggestions. Thanks.
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'll jump in.

As much as I love my Blondies, I think that you should buy the CAD M179. It is a multi-pattern large diaphragm condenser that is inexpensive but decent sounding. It will be very flexible. Just what you need to make one mic do everything.

The Blondies are great, but they are dedicated omni, and that might not be what you want for everything.
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for your answer doncaparker! Ideally, omnis aren't meant for all situations I think, especially if the room isnt treated or has lots of noise. (computer fan etc) For bedroom recording in my case, the multiple patterns might be more versatile.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think that you should buy the CAD M179
+1

As you expand your mic locker, there will always be a place for one of these.
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Head

The cad m179 is well-rated, however, one super drawback is its phantom power draw as I've researched. That means that I'd have to spend more money on a separate phantom power supply unit. The m179 has a high 8ma current draw. If i step up the price just a bit, I could reach the shure ksm 32 used or another mic, such as a modded oktava mk319 used. (only on ebay sometimes)

The point is, I'm looking for a mic that doesn't necessarily have lots of polar patterns, however, sounds good on most sources. I think this was discussed in an earlier thread 'cad m179 vs shure ksm 32.' The Cad is said to be neutral, doesnt shine on vocals, and amazing on drums. But I don't even have a drumset, and I'm going to be recording vocals... As I mentioned before, since I'm mostly going to be recording strings and vocals, this may not be the mic for me. The deep warm vibrato in the cello has to be captured nicely and not 'boring.' The similar price mxl 9090 has a bright and warm setting, so that might be useful.

Anybody compare kel mics to the cad m179? Specifically the hm1x or hm3c or hm2d. An earlier thread mentioned that the oktava mk 319 is better than the 179 on vocals, however i would opt to use the 179 instead for the same price just because of versatility. How does the modified 319 compare to Cad m179? I'm specifically looking at how the 179 compares to other mics in similar price range.

This is all research and user opinions, however, I might be wrong. is the Cad m179 good on cello? Has anybody confirmed this?

Keep the replies coming!
Old 21st February 2012
Gear maniac

Co-incidentally I have been using an M179 and I think it's really a great mic, but I just today ordered an MXL CR-24 (2003a) package. CAD M-179 v. MXL 2003a - should be a good one. What would be the line?
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm willing to purchase a separate phantom power supply unit just for the Cad
Quote:
That means that I'd have to spend more money on a separate phantom power supply unit.
Change of heart?

Pick up a Rolls PB23 or PB223. They're reliable and you can upgrade the caps in the audio path if you want to further down the line. I don't find the M179 boring, in fact the neutral quality may prove to be an asset when using it on different sources. IMHO, the other mics you mentioned (little blondies aside as I have no experience with these) just don't deliver on the same level as the CAD in that price range.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

I do not believe the phantom power problem is an issue with a CAD M179.

I have used mine with Yamaha and Peavey powered mixers that say they put out 15 volt phantom power and the mic works just fine.

In fact, in the three years I have owned my CAD M179 and M177 mics, they have been used on hundreds of different mixers and never had a problem with phantom power.

Great mic period..excellent first mic. Very versitile and it sounds like whatever you put in front of it.
Old 21st February 2012
Gear addict

If I had to record an entire band using only one type of the mics suggested here, it would be the 179 hands down.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, don't put a lot of stock in concerns you might have heard about the M179's current draw. Any preamp or interface that says it provides phantom power is going to provide enough juice for the mic. Think about it this way: the M179 was designed to be purchased by someone EXACTLY like you. Would they really design a low end mic that requires the purchase of a stand-alone phantom power supply? Nope.

I used to own two M179 mics. I used them with pretty low end interfaces and preamps at the time, and they worked just fine.

You need to get a lot of mileage out of one $200 mic; strings, vocals, percussion. The M179 will handle all of those reasonably well. Can you spend more and get more? Sure! However, within your budget, most folks here would say the M179 is your best bet for a single mic that can do anything. I'm in that camp.
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Head

Thanks guys, these were the exact answers I was looking for. Ideally, the Cad m179 would be a good first mic for best bang of buck. Some audio interfaces may not be able to handle it (the high current draw) and it's been proven (i.e. NI Komplete Audio 6) but probably most cheap mixers should. Again, I appreciate your answers.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear
I've used my m179s with lots of audio interfaces and preamps ranging from cheap behringers to ward becks to midas (not low end, I know....)

I've used them with my home made mic pres with my own phantom power supplies made from spare parts. I've used them with $50 alto mixers. I've used them with my yamaha rm-800 board. I've used them with art pro channels.

in summary, I've never had any issues supplying it's required phantom power. Apparently there are crappy interfaces with dramatically sub par phantom supplies, but in my experience they are few and far between.

google them, find out the ones that suck, and avoid them. you will have troubles with other mics too down the line if you buy a mic preamp with such a crappy psu.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Ah, I think I see part of the problem here. OK, in my opinion, you need to think twice about using an interface that both draws its own power, and supplies phantom power to mics, by using the power supplied via a USB connection. That's just asking a lot from that humble little USB connection. There are plenty of interfaces that use a wall wart AC power supply. Use one of those. Or, if you are dead set on one that just runs on USB power, then separately power the mic (any condenser, not just the M179) with an AC powered phantom power supply. They aren't expensive.

I'm not saying these USB powered interfaces will all fail to properly power a condenser mic; I'm just saying I can see this being a problem with some mics.

I still hold that the CAD M179 is not some freak power-guzzler. It might draw more than others, but any decent phantom power supply will be adequate to the task. The trick here is that you are combining a mic that draws more than others with an interface that supplies way less than normal phantom power, because you are trying to get that power via the USB connection.

So, don't use that combination. Use an interface that actually does its job of powering condenser mics. Those interfaces use a separate AC power supply.

I hope this helps.
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
I've used my m179s with lots of audio interfaces and preamps ranging from cheap behringers to ward becks to midas (not low end, I know....)

I've used them with my home made mic pres with my own phantom power supplies made from spare parts. I've used them with $50 alto mixers. I've used them with my yamaha rm-800 board. I've used them with art pro channels.

in summary, I've never had any issues supplying it's required phantom power. Apparently there are crappy interfaces with dramatically sub par phantom supplies, but in my experience they are few and far between.

google them, find out the ones that suck, and avoid them. you will have troubles with other mics too down the line if you buy a mic preamp with such a crappy psu.
For vocs - Is the CAD M9 in another league?
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

M9 is a better lead vocal mic than the M179, mostly because it's got more presence and fatness going on, characteristics I look for in a lead vocal mic.

IMHO, the M9 becomes an amazing vocal mic after a tube upgrade. I love mine!
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

I've used the M179 on viola, violin, & vocals (both female & male), & toms. A very good mic considering the price & pattern flexibility.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear nut

for the 179 as well. I highly doubt there will be a phantom power issue but for versatility, this mic is the one to own. I've used them on vocals many times (and I have several much more expensive mics to choose from). They are nice and neutral (flat response). That being the case they take well to any EQ you may want to give them after the fact.

Having the variable pattern is a lot more useful than you think. One trick is to set it towards a figure 8 pattern and get that lush & intimate proximity effect when you get up on the mic. Want a brighter punchier sound? Just dial it to a wide cardioid and bump a little 2k to 10K (depending on the voice & need) and viola it sounds like a C12 (well maybe not quite but it didn't cost $20,000 either :-).

Get the m 179 you won't be sorry.
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

It's true, mic shopping is endless, be prepared to spend money.

I just made an account today on here today. Anyways, this is my first post on the forums, here I go!

I have owned an AT2020 and have also worked with a MXL990; both of which are pretty low-end condenser microphones. However, with some proper EQ'ing and compression, I am usually able to get by. I've since sold my AT2020 and returned the MXL990 to my friend. I just ordered the CAD M179 and I believe that I will mainly be using it for vocals. Some say the MXL V67G is better for vocals but I wanted a workhorse mic that could be used to record vocals, drums, amp cabs, acoustic guitars, etc.

So after reading all the posts by you guys on here, I am convinced that the M179 is the best bang for the buck.

I'll come back to update this post once I receive and test the mic!
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

I think the M179 is any okay mic, it's certainly not bad.

However, Ive never been in love with it on anything other than a drum-kit, in which it really excels at. It's pretty bland on vocals and is a bit too hard sounding on acoustic guitar (only seems to pick up the strings in a sterile, aggressive way, rather than picking up a warm, woody guitar sound)

I think a modded Oktava 319 smokes the M179 in nearly every application. Just my two cents.
Old 9th January 2013
I just got a pair of m179's to use as overheads mostly but decided on them for their versatility according to many people on this forum as well as other sources. So far I have used them on overheads, guitar amps and male vocals.

If an inexpensive workhorse mic is what you are after I would definitely agree with others that this mic is a very good choice. Everything I've used it on so far has sounded good. It's nothing exceptional but very useable and neutral sounding. I was especially pleasantly surprised how good it sounded on vocals, as the singer for my band has a character to his voice that I have found hard to match to a mic. The m179 sounds far better than both my at4040 and ksm27, both of which were far too harsh in the upper mids/highs for his voice. We had been using an sm7 for his vocals which sounds very good as well, but the cad definitely competes with it, albeit a different tonal quality.

Bottom line, +1 here for the cad m179.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Cad m179's yes all the way. Very neutral so you get what you give.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear
You would probably be fine with either the CAD m179 or the stock Oktava mk319 for an all round mic. However, for $250, you could probably get a new m179 at $130 (for everything but vocals) and a used mk319 at $120 (for vocals). Later, you can get the mk319 modded if you feel like it, but it is a very nice mic stock, and complements the m179 well. The m179 has a huge low end for recording bass or percussion, and a balanced neutral high end. The mk319 will sound a bit dark by comparison due to a dip at 6Khz, and the mk319 has a bit of rolloff in the low end compared to the m179. I think you would keep both these mics for a long, long time.

As I recall, both of these mics have the 8a power draw, but I really think your interface can handle it. The only device I have that definitely won't handle the draw of the m179 is the ART Tube MP Project Series preamp. The mic works fine with all 3 of my interfaces (Emu 0404 and 1616m, RME UFX) and with all other preamps (Grace, UA) I have tried it with.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear interested

More love for the M179 here! You're looking for a cheap workhorse mic, you shouldn't have to look any further. If you stretch you're budget just a few dollars, you can have two of these and be all set with a stereo pair.

I got a 3-pack a few weeks ago and so far they've been used in various drum overhead positions. I know that drums isn't the application you are looking for, but the variable pattern adjustment was key to finding the sound I was looking for, and that should apply to any instrument.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search