Login / Register

Microphone Dillema: Keep a Shure KSM32 or get a Shure SM7B?
New Reply
Subscribe
Seventh Knight
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Gear maniac

Microphone Dillema: Keep a Shure KSM32 or get a Shure SM7B?

Whus Happenin, GS!

I've borrowed a Shure KSM32 mic and it might actually be given to me however I've pushed to get myself a Shure SM7B. Since I do not have a dedicated closed in room (I'm in the corner but my walls are treated but behind me is open space as it's an open room) so I'm tryin to maike a decision. I'm using it for vocals for hip hop and voiceovers.

Thanks

Seventh

Cubase 6
FL Studio 10 Producers Edition
Focusrite Pro 24 DSP
Shure SM7B
Audio Technica ATH-M50 Cans
Event 20/20 BAS Studio Monitors
KRK 10S NA Subwoofer
Window 7 Home Premium SP2 64-bit OS
AMD Phenom 9150e Quad Processor 1.80 GHz
6GB RAM (8GB Max)
450 GB (Program Drive)
1 TB External Hard Drive
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

ksm, but I might sell it and try to get a multi pattern mic. but save the dough cause you know something else is gonna pop up soon. free always wins.
Seventh Knight
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
ksm, but I might sell it and try to get a multi pattern mic. but save the dough cause you know something else is gonna pop up soon. free always wins.
You got a good point. I'm still learning the mic as I was dead set on getting a dynamic mic because of my room however it seems that it didn't pick up too much of room like I thought it would in a bad way. I didn't hear any echo (I don't have too much echo anyway) but I'll do some test recording to make sure.

What setting should the mic be on? Flat or use the rolloff switches. I'm guessing I should use the flat setting and then use EQ to do some rolling off of the bass freq. I know I'll need to play around with it to find out my position and proximity effect. I have a pop shield as well.

Thanks

Seventh
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

you can probably get away with the KSM if you set it up in a corner with some treatment. Your body will deflect some of the sound from echoing behind you. The SM7b has a distinct flavor to it in a good way. It's not for everybody. Some of its advantages are that it is relatively low maintenance and you pretty much don't have to worry about room treatment as much vs a condenser. The tradeoff is that you need a good preamp. How are you in that department?
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomini00 View Post
you can probably get away with the KSM if you set it up in a corner with some treatment. Your body will deflect some of the sound from echoing behind you. The SM7b has a distinct flavor to it in a good way. It's not for everybody. Some of its advantages are that it is relatively low maintenance and you pretty much don't have to worry about room treatment as much vs a condenser. The tradeoff is that you need a good preamp. How are you in that department?
I've got the Focusrite Pro 24DSP Audio Interface if that helps.

Seventh
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Ahh. That interface has particularly quiet preamps. I know because I have the Saffire Pro 24 without the DSP. I don't know if there is enough gain to drive an SM7b though. You'd probably have to crank it up to the max. Maybe you could use a Fethead to give you some extra boost. You're really going have to experiment a little bit until you find something that works for you.
Seventh Knight
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomini00 View Post
Ahh. That interface has particularly quiet preamps. I know because I have the Saffire Pro 24 without the DSP. I don't know if there is enough gain to drive an SM7b though. You'd probably have to crank it up to the max. Maybe you could use a Fethead to give you some extra boost. You're really going have to experiment a little bit until you find something that works for you.
Good point. I'm still researching but I'll see what happens. I've done some test recordings with the KSM but they seem muffled for my taste and I seem to clip in Cubase when getting up close to it even with a pop shield.

Thanks

Seventh
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

They're both great microphones.

I've used both. The sm7b is less open sounding and has a darker character then the KSM32.

Audiobook for my suspense novel, THE DEVICE. 4-Stars!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Device/dp/...s=kurt+feldner

Music Sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSESRzhkkw
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
has all the gear he needs

I think that the KSM32 is an amazingly versatile mic....kind of a modern day classic.

Is it the best vocal mic? I used it for years on my voice. But it has it's limitations in that area.

You obviously need to have both.

Leonard Scaper
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'd say the KSM - fabulous mic. Plus, it might force you to find creative ways of bettering the sound of your room. The SM7 (to me) is fairly limited in use. The KSM always sounds good.
Seventh Knight
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
I'd say the KSM - fabulous mic. Plus, it might force you to find creative ways of bettering the sound of your room. The SM7 (to me) is fairly limited in use. The KSM always sounds good.
Understood. Unfortunately, there's not much more I can do to my area since it's not a dedicated room...only part of a room which is our den. I'm in the corner (I'm facing the corner and my computer and studio monitors are facing out into the room) and although my corner walls are treated, the open area behind me is not as it's also our den/family room. The best I can do is maybe close myself in my corner with some blankets hanging on divits. My voice is heavy (think Chuck D from Public Enemy) when I rhyming and when I'm working on voiceovers (think James Earl Jones/Barry White). I haven't found a good fit with the KSM yet whether I'm close or away from it so far.

Thanks

Seventh
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

The KSM is a fairly 'neutral' mic and will reflect more on the tone of your preamp/interface. The SM7b has more of a built-in vibe which could also mean its not suited for your particular use.

You want to control the reflection in front of you more so than the space behind. The space behind can be your friend in giving you more of an impression of a larger spacial area . The condenser will be better for this in every way.

I would experiment a lot with the KSM as far as gain-staging and changing the on/off axis to how you are orienting yourself to the mic while doing your thing. A simple twist of only a few degrees of a good condenser in its basket can make the entire difference in a capture. Tipping the mic up or down makes a difference too. Experiment. What have you got to lose?

Get the mic really hot and stand off further. Open the mic pre just a crack and open the channel on your program to unity. All sorts of things make a huge difference. Some so much so that you'd never guess it is the same gear in the same space.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg View Post
All sorts of things make a huge difference. Some so much so that you'd never guess it is the same gear in the same space.
That's a good post right there.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear addict

the sm7b is an great mic, especially for rapping. I once used one for a freestyle competition at radio 1 and that was the mic they had there.. in your face sound with amazing clarity but also with bundles of warmth.
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Right up front I'll say I am no expert on rap, but I have used the KSM32 and the SM7b a fair amount, and personally I can't imagine why anyone would want all the high frequency in the KSM 32 on a rap vocal. The SM7b on the other hand sounds like rap sometimes even on non-rap vocals, so it would seem to be a better fit. But, just my opinion, YMMV.
"Factory farming" is the worst and most horrible abuse of Animals on a massive scale ever devised by greedy humans. Please do what you can to help end it, and "laboratory testing" also. No living being should have to suffer like this. Thank you.
http://www.soundclick.com/edbilleaud
Seventh Knight
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Gear maniac

Good points. I'ma do some more tests and kinda change positions and see how it works. Free is really speaking to me now as far as keepin the KSM is concerned!

Seventh
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search