MXL v67g mod vs. Rode Nt1a mod??
New Reply
Subscribe
Maverick87
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear addict

MXL v67g mod vs. Rode Nt1a mod??

Ive read some old threads that talked about the MXL v67g vs the Rode Nt1a, and most people agreed that the MXL was the better mic. What Im curious is how the Oktava mod versions of both of these mics stack up against each other? Since they can be modded differently I should be more specific, and say if you were buying them straight off of the Oktava mod site.

Does anyone have clips of these mods going head to head? Id love to hear how they stand up against each other, specifically with vocals. Does the Nt1a modded still have that weird phase thing going on in the mid range?? Looking forward to your responses.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear maniac

I'm interested in this as well.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Well, I have both the Joly-modded NT1A and v67g. When I next get a vocalist in I will put them head to head. I love the sound of the modded NT1A, certainly never noticed any weird phase thing going on in the mids.... I had Joly mod an NT1A, NT2A and a pair of MXL v67g mics a few years back, a bunch of mics that were hanging around doing not much. Different story now.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 View Post
Ive read some old threads that talked about the MXL v67g vs the Rode Nt1a, and most people agreed that the MXL was the better mic. What Im curious is how the Oktava mod versions of both of these mics stack up against each other? Since they can be modded differently I should be more specific, and say if you were buying them straight off of the Oktava mod site.

Does anyone have clips of these mods going head to head? Id love to hear how they stand up against each other, specifically with vocals. Does the Nt1a modded still have that weird phase thing going on in the mid range?? Looking forward to your responses.
Have you ever used any of these mics without getting them modded?

In my opinion an Nt1a doesn't need to be modded to get good use out of it... But if you wanna get a mic that has less high frequency "presence" then buy a mic that will retain it's value in a better way, like a CAD E100s or a shineybox ribbon......... I have a modded mic and to be honest I wouldnt be able to get much more for it then the actual retail value of the mic.

For the money some modded mics cost there are some very nice more affordable or equally as expensive options that sound amazing.

PrimatCity TV interviews....

with Chali 2na
P.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie3to1r5scI
P.2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=018G_agtqQA

with Pharoahe Monch
P.3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8F6MRiCuiY

Plus Spliff Star, Cunninlynguist, Smiff-n-Wessun and many more.... Check it out today!!!
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear maniac

I am curious too.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
For the money some modded mics cost there are some very nice more affordable or equally as expensive options that sound amazing.
Yeah, I totally agree. I tried the modded mic route and ended up buying better mics (AA CM87, CAD E100S) that cost less than buying a mic + a mod. I won't buy another mic mod again.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstoked View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. I tried the modded mic route and ended up buying better mics (AA CM87, CAD E100S) that cost less than buying a mic + a mod. I won't buy another mic mod again.
Agree. There really are terrific low-priced condensers out there now that don't need mods. Such as Cads, ADK's and Kels.

It makes me wonder how sustainable the mic modding business can stay? Sooner or later the manufacturers willl all catch on to what the modders are doing.

I've gotta say that I prefer my 200 dollar CAD M9 on vocals over both my Joly modded V67 and Joly modded 319. To my ears, there's nothing inherently "better" sounding about the modded mics over the CAD. Different, perhaps, but not "better". Not to diss Joly's mics. They're terrific. I just think it's a testament to the quality of Cad mics, which can be purchased at a cheaper price than modded mics.

Audiobook for my suspense novel, THE DEVICE. 4-Stars!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Device/dp/...s=kurt+feldner

Music Sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSESRzhkkw
Maverick87
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear addict

I haven't gotten the chance to try the two original mics myself, just going off of what I've read about. I've heard a lot of people say that the nt1as mids are 'raspy' and I've heard people say there's somethin that sounds like phase issues going on and described it as 'tin' sounding. I've actually heard quality clips recorded with it, but the stuff other people have said makes me nervous about buying it.

I've looked into the CAD and KEL mics and noticed theyre much cheaper, i didnt realize theyre THAT good to stack up to the same quality as the mods. Id love to hear the CAD M9(or Ex00 series) n KEL HM7u against some of the mods in a shootout, especially on vox. Anyone willing to make that happen?
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 View Post
I haven't gotten the chance to try the two original mics myself, just going off of what I've read about. I've heard a lot of people say that the nt1as mids are 'raspy' and I've heard people say there's somethin that sounds like phase issues going on and described it as 'tin' sounding. I've actually heard quality clips recorded with it, but the stuff other people have said makes me nervous about buying it.

I've looked into the CAD and KEL mics and noticed theyre much cheaper, i didnt realize theyre THAT good to stack up to the same quality as the mods. Id love to hear the CAD M9(or Ex00 series) n KEL HM7u against some of the mods in a shootout, especially on vox. Anyone willing to make that happen?
If you search the CAD E350, you will find threads with me praising the mic... I've put it up against Brauner Phantoms, U 87 and even a very good condition U 47 and can tell you CAD ain't something to mess with!

The E100s is their first model after a few years to be built in the states. You wanna invest good money in a mic, get a CAD.
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
If you search the CAD E350, you will find threads with me praising the mic... I've put it up against Brauner Phantoms, U 87 and even a very good condition U 47 and can tell you CAD ain't something to mess with!

The E100s is their first model after a few years to be built in the states. You wanna invest good money in a mic, get a CAD.
Agree 100%. Cads are great, as are adk and audio technica. The adk s7 and vienna are beasts as well as the at 4033/4050

http://soundcloud.com/big-dig/no-pain
Go check out my beats! Looking to collaborate now!
Maverick87
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Gear addict

I just ordered the studio projects cs1 n FocusRite ISA One preamp so I'm killer excited. My next investment is gonna be one of the mics we r talkin about, I'm thinkin a CAD or KEL. What do u guys think of the oktava mk319 without the mod? I definitely want a Mic that's bright in a good way, mids some highs rather than brittle bright.

What would u say are the differences in sound between the CAD M9 n E series? I know the 179s r flatter than the M9 but I'm curious how the M9 n E series compare to each other. I'm also digging the KEL HM7u since it seems to describe what I talked about with the mid bump n all that.
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

Don't buy Joly's NT1a.
I bought it a year ago and it sounded horrible, Lot's of phase issues and weird stuff going on.
Sounded bad on everything I tried, vocals, acoustic guitars, cabs... it was all shit.
Everybody around me felt that something is wrong.
Joly never even knew what I was talking about and did not hear the problem.
I sent it back to him and got my money back after a long long time.
Never got the taxes I payed here in my country, it was about 150$ that went straight into a black hole.
The only one good thing was that Joly and his wife were nice to me when they did answer my Emails.

Today I have the Audio Technica AT 2035 which is the best mic I have ever heard in that price range. 149$ of pure magic.
Studio Project C1 is also a very nice mic but it is too much on the bright side for me... but still sounds very cool.
For a higher budget I would go for the Audio Technica AT 4050 or Shure KSM 32 (amazing mics).

Bottom line
before you go for any modded mic do a little research.
It's a new world and the manufacturers are not stupid anymore.
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

The main reason to mod a mic is if it's something you already own but don't use because it sucks. These days, companies like Stellar and Advanced Audio are ordering mics pre-modded from China, so if you're buying new, you can get the equivalent of a modded mic for significantly less then the price of a new mic plus a mod.

Talking specifically about the V67g, take a look at the frequency response graph. It has a very gentle presence peak that makes it sound really smooth on vocals. Getting the electronics modded takes the "fizz" out of the high end, giving you a warm mic with response very similar to a U87. There aren't many budget mics out these days with such a reasonable frequency response curve. Most of them have a significant high end spike. For this reason, I'd suggest the V67g is a great candidate for modding, especially if one wants the U87 sound.

If one wants to pay $350 to do a capsule swap on a bright mic to turn it into a "mid-focused" mic, just save your money and buy a $200 KEL HM-2d, or a ADK A6. Bright mics have their place in the studio. You just have to know when to use them, and when not to use them. You can also send a bright mic to Minute Nine Studios for his electronics mod, which - in affect - de-esses the mic. He has before and after clips of a V67g on his website, and he has the most reasonable prices of any of the mic modders.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search