RME FF800 vs Babyface ~ Preamps Questions
New Reply
Subscribe
College_Records
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Gear Head

RME FF800 vs Babyface ~ Preamps Questions

I've grown attached to the RME FF 800 preamps. I have called and emailed RME trying to figure out if they changed the pramps on the babyface but haven't recieved a response :/

That being said...

what's the difference as far as preamps are concerned?

Thanks - Andrew
College_Records
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear Head

RME responded.....

***ME:

I am inquiring about the differences between the stock preamps in the rme babyface vs the rme ff800. I am a proud owner of the fireface 800 and I absolutely love the preamps and their low noise floor. I'm looking to setup a small mobile rig and was hoping to use the babyface. I was wondering how the babyface pres compare to the ones on the fireface 800.

If they are drastically differant does the quad mic atleast have the same preamps as the ff800? I'm very attached to you're exquisit preamps.

***RME:

Hello,

the preamps of the BF are, if at all, slightly better - they are digitally controlled and the specs are excellent.
The Preamps in the Quadmic are the same as in the FF800, though.

***ME:

Do they "open up" dynamic mics more? I'm using a tc helicon voicetone correct to make the dynamic mic's response smoother in a live setting. I LOVE the rejection of the RME pres. They're super low noise and I can tweak the pres just right so the dynamic mic will pick up a vocal and not the sound of my acoustic guitar or the room. I haven't been able to run the same setup through the maudio dmp3, grace m101, great river me-1nv, or even a focusrite octopre because they open up the sound too much letting bits and pieces of other sources through.

I guess I'll really never know until I get one and start using it. I've looked at the quadmic and that seems like a sake bet if I ever wanna keep the pre and improve the conversion, but I was just hoping for a little more insight on the matter, and who better to go to than the people who make such great products.

***RME:

Hello,

"Do they "open up" dynamic mics more?"

No - they are not intended to add any form of "character" to the signal...

....I feel dumb, but at least I learned something
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search