Mackie onyx 1640i good or bad?
Robertvettech
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Gear interested

Mackie onyx 1640i good or bad?

So I'm in the market to buy a new audio interface and the mackie onyx seems to fit what I need. I like that it can send 16 tracks simultaneously and that it has a lot of routing options . What I would like to know is it worth it's salt? Or would it be better to use rack mounted interfaces and a mixer with direct outs?
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertvettech View Post
So I'm in the market to buy a new audio interface and the mackie onyx seems to fit what I need. I like that it can send 16 tracks simultaneously and that it has a lot of routing options . What I would like to know is it worth it's salt? Or would it be better to use rack mounted interfaces and a mixer with direct outs?
I just sold one.....

Because I didn't need a mixer and it was taking up space, it sounded good had plenty of headroom. Pre's were fine, it was cheap for what it was, had some good EQ..

No complaints..

There's the Zed-R16.. but it's more expensive. It's up to you really
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Mackie also offers the Onyx Blackbird 16 x 16 rackmount interface which sells for around a third of the price of the 1640i mixer. Just so you know, those faders on the 1640i will not control the volume on your software.

I don't do my own final mixes, so the Blackbird is more cost efficient and space efficient for me.

Lots of people feel both devices are giant-killers, although Mackie the company is open to criticism for past and present customer service issues. At the price points we're talking about, it can't hurt too bad to find out if the benefits of the devices overcome the shortcomings of the company [like the driver support website going down for a month, emails never answered, past devices before the "i" series had questionable drivers]. However, I have had good luck calling the company and talking to a knowlegeable tech who was excellent at answering my pre-sales questions. I just finally ordered the Blackbird, so I'll have better feedback when it arrives and I get a chance to try it out.
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Head

Hi Robert,

I own one for my project studio and I love it!
I can record 16 tracks at once no problem on a mac (older macbook 10.4)
Never had a single driver issue.
If you like the convenience of a firewire interface but you still want to mix a bit outside the box and eventually add outboard this is an awesome piece.
You can even record direct out from DB25s to an analog recording device if you wish. But I prefer doing a mixdown in the analog realm and then bringing it back into the box for the bounce.
It is worth mentioning that the 1640I is not a control surface so it won't control events inside your DAW, but the faders and eq if you desire can effect your channels post recording. So if you assign track outputs in your DAW to input tracks on the Mackies individual channels you can print them effected by the analog channel strip. I'm sure there is a lot better way to put that :/
It can also be a great mixer for monitoring. 6 auxes 2 stereo bus. I personally enjoy the tactile advantages you get with this mixer as opposed to the typical rack interface setup with it's own software mixer. Just so much more simple using your hands vs. mousing through menus. That's just what I'm liking about it though.
I highly recommend it! It's just super versatile, very plug in and play, and it's fun to work on!

Hope you can find some helpful info in this trainwreck of a post Good luck!
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertvettech View Post
Buy a Mackie 8 Bus. WAY better specks and sound. Plus far more routing options and it is much quieter. AND..... they are far undervalued at this time.

The 8 bus has a separate HONKIN power supply - this is one of many reasons it is more quiet than the onyx. Not to mention this was far more expensive than the onxy is - as such it is in another league above.
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
Buy a Mackie 8 Bus. WAY better specks and sound. Plus far more routing options and it is much quieter. AND..... they are far undervalued at this time.

The 8 bus has a separate HONKIN power supply - this is one of many reasons it is more quiet than the onyx. Not to mention this was far more expensive than the onxy is - as such it is in another league above.
Although the 8 bus doesn't have a built in adda/interface etc. Different beasts. The cost of getting that much simultaneous I/o and adda would wreck any cost benefits.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search