New Reply
Subscribe
Woody Aki
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to Woody Aki Send a message via Skype™ to Woody Aki
Free bass amp sims (VST)?

A lot of free guitar amp sims can be found, but I never came across any free bass amp sims...have you?
With that said, are there any bass players out there that manage to get good tones out of amp sims meant for guitars? (as ridiculous as that may seem...)
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Voxenego Boogex has some bass cab impulses included, but I tend to find the guitar amp ones work better, usually fairly extreme settings then blended with the original signal.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear interested

Woody Aki
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to Woody Aki Send a message via Skype™ to Woody Aki
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisonthebrink View Post
This probably isn't 100% what you are looking for but it is 100% free:
The TSE B.O.D. It's a sim of the Sansamp Bass Driver pedal and sounds pretty good considering the price tag! You might have a bit of luck running this through a bass cab impulse.

TheSerinaExperiment.net • View topic - TSE B.O.D v1.1 update
Shoot me at dawn for what I'm about to say, but I own the Sansamp Bass Driver DI!
Before you howl at me in disbelief, all I want to do is experiment with different tones out of other VSTs whilst keeping the DI clean - does that make any sense?
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Aki View Post
Shoot me at dawn for what I'm about to say, but I own the Sansamp Bass Driver DI!
Before you howl at me in disbelief, all I want to do is experiment with different tones out of other VSTs whilst keeping the DI clean - does that make any sense?
Totally, I use this plug as more of a distortion / tone shaping tool which I use on my clean DI bass tracks. I usually do a couple of FX sends to guitar amp/cab sims which I then shape and blend back with the original signal. I find that it adds a bit more realism to the bass DI track. You should have a look at some of the other free amp sims by TSE and Le Pou.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Aki View Post
Experimentation is good! I like the distortion on the BDDI, but it can't hurt to mess with others.

Keep the DI clean, and blend in some guitar amp sims.. I bet that will sound good. (use the clean for the bottom, amps for grit)
"Seriously, there's a certain kind of creative inspiration that can come from exploring the outer limits of a musical instrument. Now days the limits are so vast that it can be difficult to set boundaries." --spargee
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear maniac

both pod farm free and amplitube 3 free have a couple bass amps in them. amplitube just has a solid state model (probably SWR or GK), but pod farm has SVT & flip top models. worth checking out.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
both pod farm free and amplitube 3 free have a couple bass amps in them. amplitube just has a solid state model (probably SWR or GK), but pod farm has SVT & flip top models. worth checking out.
swr solid state? ....... um.... power amp only, pres are tube (or at least always were in their sought after models). certainly are tubes in the swr red I used to own (and LOVED but money became a matter so I stuck with only owning one amp... my beloved svt head and cab ;-).

so, I just wanted to point out that I didn't know of any of these freebies. I use the famous pay-for vst svt amp sim of course, it's great (ampeg svt). I get most of my recorded tone sims from outboard modelling products, but I always record an unmodelled DI as well so will mess with some of these for fun.

great thread guys
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Gear nut

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search