ElectroVoice N/D 257
nuemes
2nd May 2006
Old 2nd May 2006
Gear maniac

ElectroVoice N/D 257

Curious about your experience w/ this mic.
2nd May 2006
Old 2nd May 2006
Gear Guru

No experience here with a 257 - I like the ND 468 on drums and horns. A bit bright but not piercing.

-tINY

3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006

I did a A/B comparrison with the SM58 and the EV 257. I was amazed on how much better the 257 sounded. The 58 was all mid range, while the 257 gave a much better representation of my voice. Hence I have had one for over 15 years and love it on amps and vocals where you still want that mid push.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

So I was digging through my old stuff as I was selling my original Rode NT1 and I found my very first mic in pristine condition in its original packaging. An ElectroVoice N/D 257b. I did a quick search to find out whether it was any good and found this thread. Resurrecting it from the ashes of 2006...

Looks like it's a nice useful mic... so it doesn't go on the scrap pile after all.

Nothing to add but thanks for the info Revelation!
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear interested

Electrovoice N/D 257 Microphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
So I was digging through my old stuff as I was selling my original Rode NT1 and I found my very first mic in pristine condition in its original packaging. An ElectroVoice N/D 257b. I did a quick search to find out whether it was any good and found this thread. Resurrecting it from the ashes of 2006...

Looks like it's a nice useful mic... so it doesn't go on the scrap pile after all.

Nothing to add but thanks for the info Revelation!
JEEEZ, a 6 year old thread. My, my....

And now my own add. I too was going through my closet and mic lockers and pulled out an old, but still shiny N/D 257 and wondered at what thoughts and experiences were out there.
My recollection is that these mics were bright and crisp and a little more detailed than the SM58 that they replaced in some applications. My mics sleeve is falling apart, otherwise all good.

A note for anyone else with an EV N/D 257. Another thread post mentioned using these with good results as a horn mic. Hmmmm...
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for beer

Back when I and some friends opened our first studio back in the 1990s, we had an ND 257 and we loved it. Recorded all kinds of stuff with it. Male rock, female folks. It never sucked.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

I own 3 0f them. More uniform and has a flatter frequency respons than 58 or 57. Goes higher and lower than a 57 or 58. But lacks the classic sound of a Shure also. I guess you always have to compromis somewhere. Ive used them on percussion, voice, drums brass, woodwinds, and some of eveything else. Their lack of coloration compared to some dynamics makes them very flexible. They are sort of a cheap version of a re20 in respect to being uncolored and unhyped.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
serious amateur

I have the 257 B. I agree with all the comments above, and will also add that I have used it on acoustic guitar with decent results.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I had one about fifteen years ago and couldn't find anything that it sounded all that good on and sold it. It didn't sound nearly as good as the 767.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear maniac

Ive used it on accoustic guitar also. Not quite as sparkling or pristine as a condenser, but passable. The 757 is a pricier version of the same mic. Ive used it too. Its even more versatile than the 257.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

My second favorite guitar amp mic after my MD-409...oh, and on vocal when it suits the song. Cool mic for sure.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear maniac

Ive got other mics I prefer on guitar cabinets, but its very good on thin nasaly sounding female vocalists. It doesnt seem to have as much high harmonic content as the Cad mics I usually use for vocals and can give a more focused, full, sort of classic recording sound. Or something like that.
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Gear interested

The EV N/D 257 A is an awesome mic. I've recorded female and male voice, Upright Bass, Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Baritone Saxophones. Stellar results. I don't allow my big band to use it, they can barrow my Shure mics, but not my 257.
As with anything that has some years, how it's cared for and what happened to it while you weren't looking plays into how it works now............just say'in
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

It's an awesome mic for upright bass if you put inside the bridge with the help of a foam pointing upside in combination with an AT 4047 3 feet in front of the f...MY SECRET WEAPON!!
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Head
I recorded an album with a 257 back in 1996. I've used it for vocals and for drums [toms and overhead at times]. Conidering what it's for, I think it's a fine mic.
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Stomps a 57 for vocals IMO and I use it on guitar amps from time to time. Because of the 257 and 767 I have absolutely no need for a 58 or 57.

Usually I choose my 767 over the 257 and the extra $$ for the 767 is justifiable, but the 257 is a very cool mic.
4th June 2013
Old 4th June 2013
Gear addict

Just curious if anyone knows the difference between the different styles of the N/D 257 that are out there. I have one with the skinnier body that I love and want to get another one, however, most that I see available for sale have the the thicker body. Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any sonic differences between the two body styles?
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Gear interested

I`ve used the 257 for years as my personal vocal microphone. I have a nasal voice, and the 257 is very flattering. Great mike.
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just curious if anyone knows the difference between the different styles of the N/D 257 that are out there. I have one with the skinnier body that I love and want to get another one, however, most that I see available for sale have the the thicker body. Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any sonic differences between the two body styles?
Skinnier body? Are you sure you're not just missing the soft grip?
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
Skinnier body? Are you sure you're not just missing the soft grip?
I've got a N/D 357 that the rubber grip cracked and doesn't stay on. Probably fairly common to have the grip missing on that series.
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Good Sound Quality. A low distortion at peak spl, extended high frequency response. Good for digital recording and sampling and a built in pop filter.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search